PDA

View Full Version : Timeshare in WDW

Leslie
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Im not sure if Im getting this right or not. But does DVC stand for timeshare? Also, can someone rent from someone's week if they cant use it? Does it generally cost more to go this route if you can find someone or get 2 Disney rooms at the value level? Thanks in advance

GusMan
11-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Leslie,
DVC is the Disney Vacation Club and is their version of the timeshare concept.
It uses a point system rather than a dedicated week/time in a particular type of accommodation.

DVC members can rent out their points if they want to, and it is generally cheaper to do so than renting the same type of room at a DVC resort directly from Disney. But it is not without its advantages and disadvantages. DVC Mike published a nice primer regarding DVC point rental (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=73364) a while back.

However, if you want to compare a 2BR villa compared to 2 regular rooms at a value resort, chances are, the value resort will still be the cheaper route. But then again, it wont be comparing apples to apples either. So, it will depend on what you want... lower cost to house your traveling party or a villa with a lot of room that will comfortably sleep everyone and have "home away from home" features such as a full kitchen and laundry.

Of course, there are other villa options... but two value rooms will most likely still be cheaper.

Do you have any additional questions that might help us help you?

Leslie
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Gusman for the explaination. I have more questions but maybe I should explain my situtation first. My husband and I were at WDW in June as probably every regular on here would remember with my never ending questions. lol A year prior to last June I took our 2 adult kids and my daughters boyfriend to WDW for a week and out of the blue her boyfriend proposes marriage to her at that really expensive restaurant by the Kingdom. I forget the name. Well, being he is a active Army National Guard soldier who was 2 weeks from being deployed to Iraq (the reason for the trip) the restaurant paid for there bill in FULL totaling $300.00. And clapped and thanked him for his service. Well, he went to Iraq and was gone a year and was hit by a roadside bomb and now has pernament injuries. 2 weeks ago they were married. But then the government came calling again. Yup, there deploying him again with injuries and all. Well my daughter is devestated just married and he leaves again. So to get to my questions I want to take another family trip to the most magical place in the world but after the wedding I need to really watch my money so I can do something special for him before he leaves for the deployment again. So I thought a villa or timeshare in Disney where we can get the buses to take us to the parks and we can eat our meals together. To cut down on costs were driving instead of flying. I just wanted to know which would be the cheapest route for accomadations and we would go in the slowest and cheapest time the end of January. So my delima is where to stay for the cheapest price so I can do this for the newlyweds and he leaves again. Thanks again....

GusMan
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
So I thought a villa or timeshare in Disney where we can get the buses to take us to the parks and we can eat our meals together. To cut down on costs were driving instead of flying. I just wanted to know which would be the cheapest route for accomadations and we would go in the slowest and cheapest time the end of January. So my delima is where to stay for the cheapest price so I can do this for the newlyweds and he leaves again. Thanks again....
First off, thank you for sharing what is going on in your families lives.

Well... if you want overall lowest cost, you will go the route of two value resort rooms.

If you want a villa with the kitchen and the most room, a 2 BR villa will certainly do the trick. The easiest way to get one of these rooms will be via going through Disney. But it will be the most expensive way as well. Renting points will be less expensive, but certainly not "cheap." Rough guesstimate - around $2200+ for a week if renting points, depending where you are staying. And no, that does not include tickets or any kind of dining plan.

Two studio villas might be a better choice...
Maybe even a family suite at ASMu. But that has some disadvantages as well with some of the beds in the suite being pull outs.

But here is the thing... I am assuming that you are talking about going at the end of January of '09. You may be looking at availability issues as well. You will need to keep that in the back of your mind.

Others might chime in with other ideas as well...

Drince88
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
What about Shades of Green, as an option?

Also, Disney is supposedly releasing some major discounts or something tonight (per Mark's blog) so that might be just what you're looking for!

KJSJpipe
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
From the front page:

Following tonight's fourth-quarter earnings call for The Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney World has announced a Buy 4, Get 3 Free deal. For most nights from January 4 through June 27 (except the two weeks surrounding Easter), if you buy a 4-day/4-night Magic Your Way package, you can get three more nights free! See Mark Goldhaber's blog entry (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=302) for more details!

mom22gls
11-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Probably the only way renting a two bedroom villa would make any sense would be if you plan on cooking and eating virtually all of your meals at your villa. If you eliminate the cost of restaurant meals, and bring in groceries or have them delivered, and eat two meals a day at the villa, and maybe pack sandwiches for lunch in the parks, the savings might offset the additional cost of the villa rental to the extent that the total cost of the vacation would be about the same as staying at a value resort. But, let's face it, not many of us want to do that much cooking on vacation, and eating out is a great pleasure. We usually have some groceries delivered, make breakfast at the villa, bring our own bottled water with us during the day, and eat out at least once a day. A two-bedroom villa would give you a lot more space than two value rooms, and you have a jacuzzi tub, washer/dryer, living room and full kitchen. If you want to eat out, however, you would probably be better off getting the best deal you can on standard hotel rooms.

njtravelerof6
11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
For those of you who "know" me from my recent posts, I'm sure you already know what I am going to suggest to Leslie. Since you are driving anyway and will have use of a car, would you consider staying off-site? I know it doesn't have quite the "magic" of staying on-site but you could get both the space/privacy you probably need with the adults going on this trip AND do it affordably AND provide you with the option of eating out or saving more by eating in.

You can even order out from a restaurant and bring it back to your villa (saves on drinks and tips which can add up to quite a bit with at least 4 adults). Check out the Caribe Cove Resort, which will likely be cheaper than the cost of 2 rooms, even at a value resort and provide luxurious accomodations of a Disney villa. Just another option . . . Also, if you check out off-site hotels, ask if they offer any military discounts as I'm pretty sure most of the major hotel chains do (like Marriott or Hyatt, etc.), although I doubt Caribe Cove (privately owned) would. Good luck! And, thanks so much to your SIL for all that he does for our country and the sacrifices that he and your family make for all of us. :)

Mark Goldhaber
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
If you're talking off-site, another option would be Advantage Vacation Homes (http://www.advantagevacationhomes.com), a MousePlanet sponsor. They have great villas with anywhere from two to seven bedrooms, with private pools, fully-equipped kitchens, etc. Since you're driving, you've got transportation to the parks already, so no worries about rental car costs. Just a thought.

Loteki
11-18-2008, 07:01 AM
If they stay offsite to save on accommodations, isn't there a charge for parking at each of the resorts? DLR charges $12 for parking now. Just curious since I've thought about going this route.

GusMan
11-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes, there is a charge for parking. It is good for all day between parks.

Mark Goldhaber
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
If you have an Annual Passport, parking is free.