PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Birds

amynicole22
07-09-2001, 03:37 PM
Has anyone ever had any interesting experiences with the park's resident birds?

As for me, I was sitting under a tree one day, minding my own business, eating one of the giant pickles that they sell in Frontierland. I was halfway through my salty treat, when splat, one of the birds in the tree (with incredible aim, mind you), launched a projectile (you know the kind I mean), directly into the center of my pickle. A pefectly fine pickle - soiled. Darn those sparrows - practical jokers, all of them.

I've also been nearly impaled by small birds whizzing past my head.

Also, while on a nighttime Mark Twain cruise (winter), my sister and I noticed that the ducks tend to couple up on the rock outcroppings at the back of the Rivers of America. There were two ducks on each rock (usually a male and a female). We named those rocks the "duck condos."

Anyone else have any good avian stories?

JRob2k1
07-09-2001, 03:43 PM
It was the first year of Fantasmic and crowds were huge to get front row spots. Well we set up camp early and then went off to ride the attractions while one person in my family saved the spots. (This was like 4 hours before 1st show) As the show got closer, it was my mom's turn to sit and save our seats. We had a great front row spot, but it was right under a tree. As you can figure out, she was pelted with bird crap. And it wasnt one or two, hits, it was like 5/6. It was so gross when we came back. But kudos to my mom because she was not going to give up those prime seats and she sat there and took it.

Whenever Im in Disneyland, I thank her for that, even if she's not there!!

-JRob

Dreamstaker
07-09-2001, 07:46 PM
The crows this year are everywhere. Do not leave any food unattended.

Saw baby ducks last week, that was cute.

Morrigoon
07-09-2001, 09:24 PM
I know this is a Florida story, but bear with me... it's on topic:

Several years ago I was having a really bad day at WDW. It was my b-day, windy as all heck (and I have bad allergies) and my parents decided by noon that they were heading back to the hotel. So I was completely alone, sneezing my head off, in the wind, at MGM. Eventually I decided MGM was no fun alone, so I headed over to MK, thinking something "familiar" would cheer me. As I'm walking down Main St. I decide that maybe an ice cream cone would lift my spirits. If I recall correctly, their ice cream shop is/was where our photo shop is, on the corner. So I'm coming out of the ice cream shop with my chocolate chip cone, and as I head toward the hub, this pigeon does a FLY BY on my ice cream cone, KNOCKING it to the ground. Immediately, something like 10 pigeons swoop down and eat my ice cream. I hate birds.

(KNOCKED it off the cone mind you, not made me drop it, but literally pushed it off the cone! It's a conspiracy I tell ya. I thought only Sea World birds were that agressive)

Lacrosse Boy
07-10-2001, 01:23 PM
Watch the Alfred Hithcock movie "The Birds" It is a good movie, but the special effects are not very good.

amynicole22
07-10-2001, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

(KNOCKED it off the cone mind you, not made me drop it, but literally pushed it off the cone! It's a conspiracy I tell ya. I thought only Sea World birds were that agressive)

I know! It's like there's a bird mafia! I can see it now - "Hey Joey - look at this schlub with his precious little ice cream - let's show him who's boss." Bam! Zowie! You're ice creamless and the pigeon thugs are cooing over your tasty treat.

Speaking of Sea World birds - I saw one Sea World seagull take aim and drop his ammo directly down one bosomy lady's shirt. And it was a doozy of a bird bomb - ewwwww.

At least the wild cats leave you alone...crazy birds.

Gemini Cricket
07-11-2001, 11:18 PM
A concerned CM, and animal activist, at Disneyland assured me that no duck has ever caught fire in Rivers of America during Fantasmic. Donald and Daisy must be relieved.