PDA

View Full Version : DCA Tower Of Terror

Pages : [1] 2

mkyears
11-25-2002, 09:01 PM
? I beleive I heard this before but is it true that the DCA version of tower of terror is sort of a watered down low budget version of the Walt Disney WORld one or are we actually going to get something worth while. I think I already know the answer to this but please respond anyways

tabacco
11-25-2002, 09:15 PM
This is pretty well known already. Our Tower of Terror will have no horizontal component, but will have three drop shafts.

RStar
11-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Because of the lack of the "fourth deminsion" some people have speculated that it will be a cheeper version. And knowing that the budgets are tight it might be true. But they have taken out some effects and put in some new ones. The building is a little shorter I belive, but the drop simmilar in length.

The forward movement component at WDW has had some trouble, and for the cost is best left out from what I hear any way. Also, each ride will have it's own personality this way.

I just hope they do it justice, but the only way to know for sure is to hold our judgment until we ride it. I'm looking forward to anything to help that park.

If you do a search you can find a few threads on this that have all of this info.

Mouse
11-26-2002, 08:01 AM
I've heard that there will be different drop/"bounce" sequences for the DCA version of the ride and you never know which one you are going to get. Anyone else here about this? Having something unexpected like that could make each time as scary as the first. I went on the WDW version of the ride and I was white knuckled the whole time.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-26-2002, 08:07 AM
Funny: I was holding onto the contents of my breast pocket the whole time (and my glasses a good portion of the time)

Pony Sugrue
11-26-2002, 10:18 AM
DCA's TOWER OF TERROR compared to DISNEY/MGM's TOWER OF TERROR will be like DCA's GRIZZLY RAPIDS compared to DISNEYLAND's SPLASH MOUNTAIN

... or DCA's Mulholland Madness compared to DISNEYLAND's SPACE MOUNTAIN

... or DCA's LIMO RIDE compare to DISNEYLAND's PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, PETER PAN, or ROGER RABBIT.

DCA tends to embrace whatever version is cheaper, more boring and less imaginitive everytime.

Ghoulish Delight
11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
DCA's TOWER OF TERROR compared to DISNEY/MGM's TOWER OF TERROR will be like DCA's GRIZZLY RAPIDS compared to DISNEYLAND's SPLASH MOUNTAIN

... or DCA's Mulholland Madness compared to DISNEYLAND's SPACE MOUNTAIN

... or DCA's LIMO RIDE compare to DISNEYLAND's PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, PETER PAN, or ROGER RABBIT.

DCA tends to embrace whatever version is cheaper, more boring and less imaginitive everytime. Oh my god! You can see the future!?! Why didn't you tell us? Quick, who's going to win the Superbowl?

:rolleyes:

While past experience is keeping me from expecting the best, I will reserve judgement until I see for myself. They claim that, because they were forced to remove the 5th Dimension (which in and of itself, I understand, is a mixed bag of nuts) they have come up with one or 2 completly new effects. I'm hopeful that they are worthwhile ones.

The park has been open for nearly 2 years now. This is the first major addition to the park since then. As much as everyone likes to think otherwise, the people making the decissions are not completely brain dead. I'm not guaranteeing anything and ToT may yet turn out to be a dud. But there is also an equal chance that they've been listening for the past two years and have decided to NOT cheap out. Maybe that's why so much other stuff has been done on the cheap, so they can budget higher for ToT. It remains to be seen. I will judge for myself when I ride it.

Pony Sugrue
11-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Oh my god! You can see the future!?! Why didn't you tell us? Quick, who's going to win the Superbowl?:rolleyes:

The team that scores the most points;)

...or more specifically, the TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

hbquikcomjamesl
11-26-2002, 01:50 PM
The SUPERBOWL?!?!

Entirely too much fuss over a lousy twenty-five cents, if ya ask me!

you know, they're always trying to GET THE QUARTER BACK

Laffite
11-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
The SUPERBOWL?!?!

Entirely too much fuss over a lousy twenty-five cents, if ya ask me!

you know, they're always trying to GET THE QUARTER BACK

:(

Klutch
11-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Mouse
I've heard that there will be different drop/"bounce" sequences for the DCA version of the ride and you never know which one you are going to get. Anyone else here about this? Having something unexpected like that could make each time as scary as the first. I went on the WDW version of the ride and I was white knuckled the whole time.

A recent article in an Orlando newspaper described a modification to WDW's ToT. It includes software changes that indeed vary the drop sequences. I read about it through a link on the WDW message boards. Perhaps this is where you also saw it.

Since a software change is no big deal once the program is written, it's reasonable to expect DCA's ToT will include the same varying sequences.

Pony Sugrue
01-28-2003, 05:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight on Nov 26 2003...
Oh my god! You can see the future!?! Why didn't you tell us? Quick, who's going to win the Superbowl?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Pony Sugrue on Nov 26 2003...
The team that scores the most points;)

...or more specifically, the TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

YES GHOULISH... I CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE (JUST SCROLL BACK TO THESE EARLIER POSTS)... AND YES, JUST LIKE THE CALIFORNIA NFL TEAM COMPARED TO THE FLORIDA NFL TEAM , THE CALIFORNIA "TOWER OF TERROR" WILL PALE IN COMPARISON TO THE FLORIDA TOWER OF TERROR

DL4EVER
01-28-2003, 06:08 PM
I heard that they took out the 5th dimension room because they achieved the effect they originally wanted......which I'm guessing is dropping in the same chamber it rises in..........which would be cool and unexpected in the ride itself......and I have heard that each shaft will have different effects.......I feel this will be better than the MGM version(which I have been on)

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 06:27 PM
First off, let me correct something here....GRR compared to Spalsh Mountain: GRR wins hands down.

I think our tower of terror will be much batter, gfor the very reason that the last person posted, they indeed get the effect that they wanted to have in Florida working, they could never get it working there, also remember we have newer technology since then, so that will improve it as well.

cemeinke
01-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
First off, let me correct something here....GRR compared to Spalsh Mountain: GRR wins hands down.

BWAH!

But my shower beats them both if getting wet is your criteria

However, if story, theming, animatronics, or "magic" has any value, I'd pick Splash over GRR.

Tigertail777
01-28-2003, 11:31 PM
I just hope they make the que every bit as fantastic as the wdw one. The details in that are just astounding. I had heard they looked all over for period pieces of furniture just to fit the theme correctly. I really hope thye pour that kind of money and thought into the DCA version, but somehow I really doubt its going to happen.
To me the detail of the que and the entire building were almost more impressive than the ride itself.

YellowMan
01-29-2003, 12:51 AM
I just hope they make the que every bit as fantastic as the wdw one. I definitely agree on this point, and for some reason, this is the point that worries me the most about the DCA version. I absolutely loved the completely immersive effect of the Tower of Terror in Florida. As soon as you entered the queue you were winding through almost a tunnel of plants and gardens as you walked up the hill to the building. This was all before you even entered the building, and it just helped to take you away from the whole "I'm in a Theme Park" feeling. I'm sure once you enter the building of DCA's Tower of Terror it will be the same, or at least of the same quality theming, as the Orlando version, but this outdoor buildup is something I will miss. I really don't like the idea of having to wait outdoors in boring old switchback queues along the side of the building instead of in a heavily themed garden like in Orlando. But there is still lots of time for them to build more around the ride (heck, there's plenty of time for them to add these things) and plant more gardens and other scenery about the area. I just really hope they have learned from past mistakes and that they invest some money and pull off the theme in this area well.

DisneyGuy03
01-29-2003, 09:15 AM
However, if story, theming, animatronics, or "magic" has any value, I'd pick Splash over GRR.
Granted GRR doesn't have the Animatronics, but themeing is superb, the concept behind it is far better than any other raft ride I have been on and the frops, geisers and other such things all add to the "magic" making it in my o[pinion better than Spalsh in many ways, but I still love Spalsh Mountain as well.

disneyhead
01-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
... but themeing is superb, the concept behind it is far better than any other raft ride I have been on and the frops, geisers and other such things all add to the "magic" ...

Ok, I think the visual mountain is done well, the best in DCA as a matter of fact. Just what I expect from Disney. But exactly how is the concept behind it "far better" than any other raft ride, when it is identicle to every other raft ride in every Six Flags park on the planet? To me it really could have been more generic if they had tried. Exactly what I DON'T expect from Disney. To me there is absolutely NO Disney Magic involved in that ride.

DisneyGuy03
01-29-2003, 09:54 AM
when it is identicle to every other raft ride in every Six Flags park on the planet?
Actually, no raft ride outside of Disney has had drops, at least not until WDW's opened and if I am not mistaken they still don't outside of Disney. Also, the themeing is by far better done, you have the mountain and people camping and such, take Sea World's Raft Ride (second best in my opinion) even it's themeing still isn't complete, they stretched in some areas (i.e. The turtle area) to make it work in a theme like you are trying to escape from an island. Once on GRR, you are in the theme until you get off, no question about it. Six Flags never seems to worry about theming, which I don't like, plus I don't go to parks where there have been that many deaths that were not the guests fault (i.e. going on a ride and falling out because the people operating it let the person ride with out the restraint being properly locked in place, whereas if this happened at Disneyland they wouldn't let you ride. Guset Fault example would be standing up while riding the matterhorn, that is just one of those, well, duh things) and yes, I know there have been some deaths that weren't the guests fault, but not near as many as just one ix Flags park has had and that would be combining all of Disney's Theme parks together.

YellowMan
01-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Ok, I think the visual mountain is done well, the best in DCA as a matter of fact. Just what I expect from Disney. But exactly how is the concept behind it "far better" than any other raft ride, when it is identicle to every other raft ride in every Six Flags park on the planet? LOL! I am now convinced that you have never been to a non-Disney Park. At Six Flags Magic Mountain for example, there is nothing around the rapids ride except the trees that they didn't take out when building it and a couple "waterfalls" near the edges of the flume. The ride is an oval shaped layout, and isn't very long at all. Grizzly River Run is built with tunnels, rock work around the ride, various props, sound effects, 2 drops, wooden overpasses, geisers, leaky pipes on the lift, a wheelhouse it goes through before the lift, and many other things to help the theme. While it may not have singing animatronics, it does have theme elements. It is supposed to make you feel like you are in a river travelling throughout the mountain. You don't need a singing rabbit to tell you that you're doing that. While I don't agree that it is better than Splash Mountain, it is still leaps and bounds above any Six Flags offering.
plus I don't go to parks where there have been that many deaths that were not the guests fault (i.e. going on a ride and falling out because the people operating it let the person ride with out the restraint being properly locked in place, whereas if this happened at Disneyland they wouldn't let you ride. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. While Six Flags gets bashed for having rude employees who do their jobs slowly (and I agree on this point), they do actually do their jobs. If somebody fell out of a ride because the vehicle malfunctioned and their lap restraint didn't work, well this could happen anywhere, yes even in your beloved Disneyland.

Tref
01-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Pony makes a very good observation in regard to Grizzly Rapids and Splash Mountain. Grizzly is, for lack of a better word -- lame. I would say, almost entirely without a single genuine thrill. Compare GR with the similiar ride at Animal Kingdom called Kali River Rapids and you'll understand why Disney can no longer be taken at their word when they say, our TOT will be an improved version. Kali is, or should be, the prototype for all future water rides. It's a beautiful ride that caters to all the senses. GR will get you wet. But then so could a bucket of water, recklessly handled.

i remain,

DisneyGuy03
01-29-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. While Six Flags gets bashed for having rude employees who do their jobs slowly (and I agree on this point), they do actually do their jobs. If somebody fell out of a ride because the vehicle malfunctioned and their lap restraint didn't work, well this could happen anywhere, yes even in your beloved Disneyland.
Actually, no they don't do thier jobs, in fact some firiends who have worked there told me how they were specifically told that even if they felt it wasn't safe if a guest insisted upon riding they were not to prevent them from doing so. And I am referencing several cases, one that sticks out in my mind is a lady was too big for the restraints to adequately close, the employees saw this, started to say something to the lady, then decided not to and let her ride, it was a copaster that went upside, she fell out in a loop and landed on her head......Tell her family that the employees did their job. I don't buy that argument at all.

YellowMan
01-30-2003, 01:03 AM
one that sticks out in my mind is a lady was too big for the restraints to adequately close, the employees saw this, started to say something to the lady, then decided not to and let her ride, it was a copaster that went upside, she fell out in a loop and landed on her head I'm sorry but I believe that this story did not happen. In the past (and I'm talking the past as in a long time ago) a large woman fell out of Colossus and was killed, because she was too large for her restraint. Never has a person fallen out of a Magic Mountain ride during a loop. For one reason it's physically impossible. I'm not sure if you know this but roller coasters are carefully designed to use the forces of gravity to their advantage. When a train enters a vertical loop, the force of gravity exhibited on the rider is actually multiplied, pushing them into their seats throughout the course of the loop. Had the woman's restraint unlatched during a loop, it (and her) would have still been pressed down into the seat and she would not have been able to fall out.
Actually, no they don't do thier jobs, in fact some firiends who have worked there told me how they were specifically told that even if they felt it wasn't safe if a guest insisted upon riding they were not to prevent them from doing so. Again, there is no validity to this story. While this may have been "told" to one of your friends in the past I have never seen this practice done. In fact, I have seen quite the opposite. For example, I am a coaster enthusiast and I loooove airtime. I often ride coasters with my lapbar at least 3 inches off my lap, if not farther (into the 6-8 inch range) so that when the forces felt when cresting a hill push me out of my seat I will really feel it. At Six Flags Magic Mountain however on several occasions they have "stapled" me, pushing my lapbar down to my thighs commenting, "Your lapbar should be on your lap." I have often disputed this saying that it is not needed on the certain ride, but the ride attendants do not give in to my pleading (often rudely ignoring me completely). The claim that Six Flags employees are told to let people ride unsafely is simply outrageous. No company would encourage employees to allow ways for their guests to more easliy be injured, it just isn't smart business to make more room for lawsuits. While they are far from the calibur of Disneyland Cast Members, Six Flags employees aren't the scum of the earth that many people make them out to be.

Sorry for my rant. Please continue with your regularly scheduled topic.

Tigertail777
01-30-2003, 01:48 AM
Actually when we went to Magic Mountain sometime in the mid to late 80's, I rode the colossus... this was the first big coaster I had ever ridden. Well they pushed the safety bar down and all, but we reached the big hill I noticed it felt a little loose, then we plunged down the hill, and click the safety bar had failed, my dad had to hold my legs down as best as he could because I had almost completely left the car. Of course you know rollercoasters.. too noisy to try and let anyone know etc. so I was holding on for dear life (as well as my dad holding onto me). We pulled into the station with me white as a ghost and feeling more than a little sick. I told the employees running hte ride what happened but they didnt seem to beleive me, they wouldnt even check the lap bar thing, and to my horror sent more people in that same car.
I was terrified of riding ANY coaster after that for YEARS! finally this last trip 6 months ago we went to MM again, and after much coaxing from my nephew I worked up the courage to ride again. we rode colossus something like 5 times, but that first ride I was so nervous I kept feeling like I was going to puke before I even got on the ride... I kept remembering over and over what happened last time. I truly hope that was a major fluke of stuff like that happening...overall I had a good time though, I even rode some of the larger more intense coasters after I conquered that fear.
I dunno why people like riddlers revenge so much though... more like crotches revenge the way you have that seat thing between your legs.:rolleyes: