PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin on Nov 25th

Pages : [1] 2

LIMANDL4EVA
11-25-2002, 03:23 PM
So i hear CM previews began today, I know a lot of you are actually hoping this show will fail, personally I hope it will be a smash sucess and a great show, I loved BLAST dont get me wrong, but we all have to understand that it is never coming back;) . Anyways, has any CM seen a preview from today? How was it? DETAILS DETAILS

bluepearl
11-25-2002, 07:54 PM
I get to preview the show tomorrow night at 7:30PM. I'll post my thoughts afterwards!

I loved Blast myself and hated to see it go (I still have my avatar posted with Kit here!), but I'm going to go into the preview without any sort of expectation or knowledge beforehand.

ChipmunkStar
11-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Hey, I'll be at the 730 tomorrow too :) Hope it's good. . .

bluepearl
11-26-2002, 09:41 PM
I don't know about anyone else who saw today's previews, but I loved it!! It definitely won't be something to watch every two weeks or so like Blast, but I enjoyed the show a lot.

People were lined up outside the Hyperion by the time I got there around 6:30PM, and they let us in the courtyard somewhere around 7PM. The times on the tickets said a showtime of 7:30PM, but I think that's about the time we were allowed in the building. I'm thinking the show didn't start til around 8PM (I only say this because when we walked outside after the show, I looked at my watch and it said 8:30). But anyway, the show started very quickly after her speech (about it being a dress rehearsal), and the sets are very nice. I don't know how much I can say about it without it being spoilerish, but I think the best sets were of the cave in the desert, inside the cave, and some of the moving props throughout the show.

I enjoyed the acting - my favorites were Aladdin, the Genie, and the carpet. From what I heard, some of the actors were the swing crew, so I'm not sure if all the actors were the main ones. The Aladdin at the 7:30 show was Asian, and I thought he was adorable (Jasmine was Asian as well, and she reminded me of the lead role in Miss Saigon).

But what I loved the most about this production was the costumes. In my opinion, they are absolutely breath-taking. My favorites were Aladdin's (second costume change), Jasmine's, and Jafar's. The costumes for the background actors are very nice as well. There are scenes that spill out into the crowd, and those are awesome. There are some parts that are incredibly cheesy as well.

Obviously, I really liked this show. I was smiling throughout the whole thing and laughing in other parts. I told my friend that I honestly would not like to see this show fail. I can't wait for it to start showing regularly so I can see it again!

sydney
11-26-2002, 10:14 PM
bluepearl-- it's funny you should compare Jasmine to the lead in Miss Saigon, because Lea Salonga, who was the lead in Miss Saigon, was also the voice of Jasmine in the movie.

(Or maybe that's why you made that comparison. Anyway, if you didn't know, now you do. ;))

bluepearl
11-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Sydney: I wanted to say Lea Salonga, but the reason I didn't was because when I saw Miss Saigon, it was a different actress. So I decided to generalize it!! :) But yes, you reminded me about Lea's contribution to Aladdin. I used to follow her career because she was a very successful Filipina artist in the US. But I digress..I think. :lol:

Rallymonkey23
11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Cool! I'm glad to see a good report on this show! Can't wait for the previews!

Laffite
11-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Cool! I'm glad to see a good report on this show! Can't wait for the previews!

and when is that? I wanna see it too

sydney
11-26-2002, 11:01 PM
According to AVP

Originally posted by AVP
Here are the TENTATIVE Guest Preview Shows, as of today's update. These are absolutely subject to change without notice, so roll the dice and see what you get

Thursday and Friday: 12:45 and 2:30

AVP

Here's hoping this happens... I'll be the one with my face pressed against the theater doors until they let me in.

AnimeNut
11-27-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by sydney
bluepearl-- it's funny you should compare Jasmine to the lead in Miss Saigon, because Lea Salonga, who was the lead in Miss Saigon, was also the voice of Jasmine in the movie.

Not to be nitpicky... okay, I am nitpicking here, but it should be specified that Lea Salonga provided the singing voice for Jasmine. The rest of Jasmine's dialogue was performed by Linda Larkin.

Ya know, that still bugs me to this day. The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast will always be tops in my book for that simple reason -- all the actors did their own singing!

On a partially related side note, I think it's a shame the vast majority of audiences have never heard Mel Gibson sing "If I Never Knew You" in Pocahontas. You can only find this deleted scene on the laserdisc... and we know that technology won't be making a comeback any time soon.

sydney
11-27-2002, 10:11 AM
good call, AnimeNut. thanks for clearing that up. While off topic, I agree there was a point where having "name" actors became more important than having actors that could also sing.

But that's another thread. I can't wait to see Aladdin tomorrow!

Lost Boy
11-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Mouse Info dot Com has over 25 pages of full color photos of the play during previews. I will say this is a very ambitous looking production. Go take a look.

GoldenEars
11-27-2002, 10:34 PM
I have not seen the *Aladdin* show yet, but I've talked with quite a few cast members and others who have seen it, and all I'm hearing is that it's awesome!! Infact, one of my friends went to one of the cast member showings and afterwards, the entire theatre gave the performers a standing ovation.

And I just peaked and saw all the pictures of the show on MouseInfo.com and WOW, it looks really amazing! I can't wait to see it and experience it myself.

Let's hope this show makes it BIG and has GREAT reviews!!!

Patrick:D

ChipmunkStar
11-27-2002, 10:47 PM
OK, I hate to becme the vinegar in this topic, but Iwas really not all that impressed by the production.

The story was only followed so-so (such as the wishes and no Abu :( ), and some of the switch-outs were totally obvious (Like in the opening "One Jump", and the carpet ride, that one just drove me up the wall!).

The new song for Jasmine was definitely nice though, and fit with her character (What happened to all her pillars and her birds after they returned from the flight?), and the Friend Like Me number was done probably to the best extent that you can with multiple genies.

I am very much a costume girl, and I must say, LOVED them!!!! The costume for Jasmine was gorgeous, and the fabrics and textures they used for all the characters all combined very nicely.

People would cla and laugh at the most random times, though, and it threw me a little off (Did I miss something?), but I have one more ting I'd like to pt in SPOILER tags, so if anyone could refresh my memory on how to do so, I would reallyappreciate. . . it's something to look for that is a total crack up.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
The story was only followed so-so (such as the wishes and no Abu :( ), and some of the switch-outs were totally obvious (Like in the opening "One Jump", and the carpet ride, that one just drove me up the wall!).
i havent seen it so i cant really comment, but remember, it is a 'dress rehearsal'

ldsguy
11-28-2002, 10:12 PM
The story was only followed so-so (such as the wishes and no Abu ), and some of the switch-outs were totally obvious (Like in the opening "One Jump", and the carpet ride, that one just drove me up the wall!).

Please remember that this is a 43 minute version of a Broadway show, Broadway shows generally only follow the story so-so, look at Beauty and the Beast as an example. It would not be a good show if it followed exactly, stage shows ARE different from movies in many, many ways. I am a person that is into the theatre, so this is a welcome change for Disney to do something like this, I look forward to seing more productions that are done for the park in the Hyperion. But again, it is not intended to follow the original story line, in some cases because it would be too difficult to impossible, weather because of time constraints or because of physical capabilities. Or in some cases because a change in the movie would have been good, or simply because it's stage version, there are other things that work better on stage than on screen.

I will agree though that Abu should make and appearance, but that would be difficult at best.

People would cla and laugh at the most random times, though, and it threw me a little off (Did I miss something?), but I have one more ting I'd like to pt in SPOILER tags, so if anyone could refresh my memory on how to do so, I would reallyappreciate. . . it's something to look for that is a total crack up.

I do not know what the cast member previews were like, as I am not one, but the public preview today, people laughed and clapped at just the right times in my opinion.

sydney
11-28-2002, 10:13 PM
having (finally) seen the show today (twice, of course), I am very happy with it. I agree with some of the issues raised here, and felt that most of the issues were with jokes that fell a bit flat, pacing that could be a bit better, and with minor tech problems... one of which led to a very funny and appropriate genie ad-lib in the 2:30 show today.

But even as we watched, the 2:30 show (which was not as packed as the 12:45) had different punchlines to almost all the major jokes the genie tells, most of which got bigger laughs, and I felt the second cast was a bit stronger. (which would stand to reason, as from what I understand, that was the "A" cast which includes more experienced broadway performers).

All in all I loved the show, and will be making frequent trips specifically to see Aladdin.

Darkbeer
11-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Here is a thread that describes how to use spoiler tags

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10679

Rallymonkey23
11-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Mouse Info dot Com has over 25 pages of full color photos of the play during previews. I will say this is a very ambitous looking production. Go take a look.

Thanks, but no thanks on the pics. I want this show to be a total surprise. (Not the plot, the visual aspect of it. :D ;) )

ChipmunkStar
11-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Yes, I understand that it wouldn't follow EXACTLY to the movie, but notice that
Aladdin's "escaping the cave" was counted as a wish, Rather than the second being used to save his life from Jafar.

And a few more thing like that.

About Laughing and clapping at the preview I saw, things like when the set for Friend Like Me came out,people just started clapping. I don't understand why they clapped, but they did. Make sense to anyone else?

Oh, the funny thing to notice:
When Aladdin and Jasmine are on their Magic Carpet ride, they fly by the Taj Mahal (? maybe a cathedral?), and the Eiffel Tower. Apparently the carpet can fly through time, because I'm pretty sure Aladdin takes place a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time before the Tower was even built.

That gave my best friend and I the giggles for a few minutes :)P.S.~ Thanks for the how to :) :)

DJ_MENTOS
11-29-2002, 03:08 PM
My $.02:

I saw the 12:45 show today, and it was a Blast! (pun intended)
The genie was hillarious! When Aladdin forgot his line, he told him, "Talk, they want to go on rides." It was totally improvised and hillarious.

For the overall show, I have nothing bad to say. It was very well put together, the sets and costumes were great. I especially liked the curtains. Beautiful.

It will definitely do well on Broadway.

Btw, The producer, Francesca Zambello was there. She was walking around asking people how they were, pretty much like Cynthia Harris. Very nice.

-DJ_MENTOS

ldsguy
11-29-2002, 09:54 PM
I do agree that the improv is always funny to see.

Btw, The producer, Francesca Zambello was there. She was walking around asking people how they were, pretty much like Cynthia Harris. Very nice.

I didn't see this when I went today, but that is really cool, I got to meet the director's mother yesterday, she is also realyl nice.

I also have to say in response to:

Aladdin's "escaping the cave" was counted as a wish, Rather than the second being used to save his life from Jafar.

That I would assume the wish is counted, mostly due to time constraints, it's already a 43 minute show and they want to be able to do at least three shows daily, also please remember the sets take approximately one hour to reset to the proper order for running the show.

As for:

When Aladdin and Jasmine are on their Magic Carpet ride, they fly by the Taj Mahal (? maybe a cathedral?), and the Eiffel Tower. Apparently the carpet can fly through time, because I'm pretty sure Aladdin takes place a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time before the Tower was even built.

Well, they do that in the movie to some extent as well, but it's not meant to make complete sense.

About Laughing and clapping at the preview I saw, things like when the set for Friend Like Me came out,people just started clapping. I don't understand why they clapped, but they did. Make sense to anyone else?

Because it's an awesome set, in Broadway shows when there's a really awesome set or something that the audience loves, they clap for it, even if the timing doesn't make much sense for clapping, but in Aladdin it's a good time for clapping, so it works really well.

But even as we watched, the 2:30 show (which was not as packed as the 12:45) had different punchlines to almost all the major jokes the genie tells, most of which got bigger laughs, and I felt the second cast was a bit stronger. (which would stand to reason, as from what I understand, that was the "A" cast which includes more experienced broadway performers).

Each cast will provide a different show, again, this is a bit hard to get used to the idea of, but we have a Broadway style show, which includes all of the oddities like this from Broadway, it's not the typical Disneyland show where no matter who performs it's supposed to look and sound the same as the Animated version, instead it's supposed to have it's own personality to some degree, I know it's different than what those that are used to Disneyland shows, esp. those that don't get to go to live theater, but once you relise what it is, it is a really good thing, in my opinion at least, it does, as it says in the Annual Pass Holder Newsletter let those that don't get to go to the theater experience it.

sydney
11-29-2002, 10:03 PM
just wanted to make sure I stated that although on thursday the second show did seem to get a better reaction from the crowd at certain jokes, both casts were excellent and wonderful. Incredibly talented and worthwhile performances that really give life to the show in ways "regular" Disneyland shows haven't of late.

I'm thrilled that Aladdin is here, and hope it will be around for quite a while. I'm a total theater lover, and this certainly qualifies as legitamate theater in my book.

ldsguy
11-30-2002, 12:15 PM
I am a theater lover myself, I thougth some of you might enjoy knowing who's who in the cast, thanks to Jennifer on mouseinfo for posting the names, I was then able to get most of my information from playbill.com, some of it though had to come from sources such as the online copies of the programs of the shows that they have performed in or competition websites, well here's the list:

Cast One (A? Cast)
Aladdin...Michael K. Lee is a native of NY. While studying psychology and popular culture at Stanform University, he also acted (under Anna Deveare Smith,) directed, wrote, and composed for various projects in addition to preforming with the renowned Fleet Street Singers. Fovorite roles include L Tenor in Sweeney Todd , Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, Riff in West Side Stry and Joseph in Joseph... He would like to thank his friends and family fir their continued support, and espically Sabrina, for her spirit, motivation and encouragement. Broadway and national tours: Miss Saigon (Thuy), Rent (Angel u/s). East West Players: Beijing Spring (L.A. Ovation nomination, Best Actor), Heading East, Pacific Overtures. Television: "Arli$$" (HBO), "7 Days" (UPN). Films: Highland Park Blues, The Ghost. Graduate of Standford University.

Jasmine...Roxanne Taga was born and raised in Southern California. Credits: Miss Saigon (Kim), Broadway; Rent (Alexi Darling), national tour. She dedicates her performance to the Filipino Igorots. Thanks to God, family and friends for their endless love and support.

Genie...Nick Santa Maria - Nick was seen most recently as disc jockey Vince Fontaine in the Tommy Tune revival of Grease, both in the national tour and on Broadway. His
background is in improvisational comedy (with real life partner, Maribeth Graham) and standup, appearing in comedy clubs around the country. He has appeared in lots of commercials and can be heard in too many voice-overs to mention without blushing. His television credits include "BL Stryker," "The Buffalo Bill Show," and several children's television shows (many of which he wrote). He can currently be seen in the Eddie Murphy film, Holy Man. A HUGE tip of the hat to Scott, Patrick and my fellow travelers, also has served as writer and composer for various revues and for children's television. Also an accomplished actor, he was one of the performers of "Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know" at the Triad Theatre, Off-Broadway.

Jafar...Jonathan Peck - Recently seen as Yas-Yas in Minstrel Show: The Lynching of William Brown, Godfrey Crump in Crumbs From the Table of Joy (Yale Rep), and Tshembe Matoeseh in Les Blancs (Center Stage). Other credits include The Color of Justice (Thurgood Marshall), A Soldier's Play (Henson), Big White Frog (Victor), Taming of the Shrew (Petruccio), and Two Trains Running (Sterling). Jonathan received a Helen Hayes nomination for performing as Zach in Blood Knot at Arena Stage in Washington, DC., RICHARD III

Iago...Ron Butler - Off-Broadway: Clean, Once in a Lifetime, Merrily We Roll Along, The Virgin Molly, 5 Very Live, All Things Considered, Marie & Bruce. Regional: Death of a Salesman, Big River, Ring Round the Moon, Zero Positive, Edit Life, The Simpleton, As Is. Film: Homicide, Huge, Deconstructing Ozy, Girl's Club, Jeffrey's First Hollywood Trick. Television: "Guiding Light," "Loving," "The City."

Carpet...Adealani Gerkewicz - Hawaii State Ballet, apprenticed with the Colorado Ballet.

Cast 2 (B? Cast)
Aladdin...Miles Wesley - Lion King

Jasmine...DeeDee Lynn Magno - Kim in Miss Saigon twice, after originating the role in second national touring company. Workshops: Terrance Mann's Romeo and Juliet (Juliet), Flower Drum Song (Mei-Li). TV: "New Mickey Mouse Club." Film: Sister Act II. Recordings: four albums with "The Party." She thanks Dadda, Momma, Kuya Dave, Dayna and Darlene; everyone at Miss Saigon and Alan Wasser Associates; her agents at Richard Bauman and Associates; her friends; Babeba; and God.

Genie...Orville Mendoza - Credits include The King and I with Shirley Jones, Hello, Dolly! with Vicki Lawrence, The Trial of Dr. Jekyll (Kennedy Center), The Tragedy of Macbeth, Miss Saigon and the title role in Sweeney Todd. Orville receivegd his B.A. in Musical Theatre Performance from Cal-State, San Bernardino.

Jafar...Lance Roberts - Forbidden Hollywood, MTW productions of Ain't Misbehavin and I Love You, Your Perfect, now Change

Iago...Nathan Holland - Guys & Dolls, Three Semesters

Carpet...Kelli Shimada - First Place in 13 & Over Solo dance competition in Salt Lake City

SoCalDisneyLover
12-01-2002, 08:27 AM
My friend and I saw the 6:15 performance yesterday evening and thought it was wonderful! Had decent Mezzanine seats, but look forward to experiencing it from the Orchestra section after CM previews end.

I assume that was the A Cast I saw, but if someone could clarify, that would be great. Is there going to be some set, possibly "unstated" schedule they will adhere to as to which cast performs at particular shows? Does Cast A get the lion's share of the work? I will like to get the different perspective of seeing the other cast, but the one I saw was excellent. :-)