PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Pixar Adventure

malin
11-25-2002, 02:44 PM
I was reading an article on CBS Market Watch about DCA problems.And how Jim Hill belives we are going to be seeing more attractions based on Pixar movies Toy Story and Monsters INC.This was also confirmed by Disneyland's Cynthia Harris that the company is negotiating with Pixar's John Lasseter on several attractions.

Now I love Its Tough To Be A Bug and Flik's Fantasy Fair.But what has Flik and his pal's got to do with the California theme.And now Disney want Pixar to help them create even more attractions based on characters from Disney and Pixar movies.So I propose Disney drop the Californian theme and we call the park Disney's Pixar Adventure(DPA for short)

Pony Sugrue
11-25-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by malin
Now I love Its Tough To Be A Bug and Flik's Fantasy Fair.But what has Flik and his pal's got to do with the California theme.

You're right. California has nothing to do with these properties. They are going to have to use HOLLYWOOD backlot now as an excuse to explode into anything that could be considered "of Hollywood"... which really could be anything. It's really just a big mess... now that it is starting to ignore its theming... kinda like TOMORROWLAND.

cemeinke
11-25-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
You're right. California has nothing to do with these properties.

Nonsense, Pixar is a Californian Company.

tabacco
11-25-2002, 06:55 PM
That's for sure. Right down the road from me :)

Klutch
11-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Would this be any different than EPCOT? I mean, what do most of EPCOT's attractions have to do with an Energy Prototype City of Tomorrow? It's certainly a far cry from Walt's vision. Yet, it's considered a great park by anyone with an IQ and a birth year before the Clinton Administration.

Furthermore, what does Indiana Jones have to do with Disney? It's the best spankin' attraction I've ever experienced, but what's it doing in "Disney"land? Based on the same logic previously applied to DCA, shouldn't Disneyland be just one big Fantasyland area?

I agree that a California Themed park in Anaheim was a pretty lame idea. I don't necessarily think that every attraction has to dovetail perfectly into a California theme in order to be a good park. Gee, if they gave people from elsewhere what they expect of California, the park would be full of mudslides, wildfires, traffic jams, gang turf wars, gay pride marches, and thick, thick smog.

I don't mean to dog anyone's opinion here. I'm just wondering if we aren't being a little too harsh on poor ole DCA. No sense kicking it when it's down, and boy is it down.

Anyone else down with that? :)

tabacco
11-25-2002, 09:13 PM
er... that's Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow :)

Klutch
11-26-2002, 06:06 AM
Woops. Thanks for the correction.

RStar
11-26-2002, 07:22 AM
I agree with you Klutch. I know us locals are a tad bitter that they tried to shove the CA theme down our throats because they wanted to build a park that would draw over seas tourists. And still others are upset because they built a park that is doing so poorly. But if you ask me, we know the CA theme isn't working, and they are unlikely to suddenly change the theme and name of the park. So we should be celebrating every time they inch further and further from the theme of CA. At the very least we should not be surprised, because we all seem to be in the know more than the suits in TDA (or it would appear any way).

So they are making a move to improve the park by adding something that is not easily (though not impossible) to link to CA? Well, DUH!

See you at the parks;)

The Jazzman
11-26-2002, 07:39 AM
What I want to know is; what happened to the days when Disney could build an attraction without theming it to a movie. Some of the all time greatest attractions; Pirates, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc are not themed after anything but themselves. How about some more of that imagineering. Just because they build something new doesn't mean that it absolutely has to be based on the latest semi-hit.

MansionMatt
11-26-2002, 08:12 AM
I like DCA. I agree it's a lame theme.

But right now, all I want to see are good attractions put into the Disney parks! I think tying Pixar's properties into DCA by saying they're produced by a California company is tenuous. But tying them into the Hollywood Backlot isn't. Nor would it be as tenuous if they built a giant computer screen entrance area off the Bay Area section that led into a PixarLand.

ultimately, though, if they're gonna put a good ride in DCA, I don't care if it's a rough fit with the California theme. i just want more good rides. and I'm someone who LIKES the park.

Pony Sugrue
11-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Nonsense, Pixar is a Californian Company.

Thanks for the informative info. I'm sure we all thought PIXAR was in Alabama ;)

Based on that claim, any film ever made out here in California would constitute an inclusion into DCA's theming. Why not plop down an "Aristocats" or TRON attraction next to Grizzly Rapids? Apart from Tomorrowland, Disneyland pretty much sticks to whatever theme it has ordained on its particular "lands" (although the "Matterhorn" is sort of an "orphan"). Walt not only chose "lands" that would be an escape, but also made them vague enough to grow in their respective categories. Even though INDIANA JONES isn't a Disney property, at least it fits in ADVENTURELAND. What the heck did a very Hawaiian LILO AND STITCH have to do with a California PARADISE PIER? What does Pocahontas have to do with a west coast California forest? I mean sure, they may not always have the environment to fit the property, but at least do the best you can. Put LILO/STITCH in Adventureland (where the locale is vague enough to work) and put Pocahontas in Frontierland (again where the locale/period is vague enough to work). They painted themselves in a corner, won't admit it, and they are finding loopholes to shoe-horn popular characters into DCA.

Despite the now realized limiting bad them idea, they can still make it work successfully. The best way they can do it is to use HOLLYWOOD BACKLOT to loop-hole anything that was ever made there. Of course of all the movies to choose from, PIXAR's films (like LUCAS films) are by and largely NOT fully made in HOLLYWOOD. So those films, based on theme-fitting, should be the last to go into HOLLYWOOD BACKLOT. What a mess.

I guess if I say nothing else about DCA, the bottom line is they were CHEAP... and that's what makes it fail as opposed to some wonderful amazing park like Tokyo Disney Seas.

merlinjones
11-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Yeah, it would be like putting Winnie-the-Pooh in Frontierland!... oops...

Laffite
11-26-2002, 10:38 AM
This is bothering me; how many people were involved at designing DCA? Must be a lot. Didn't --anyone-- of them see beforehand that a California park just wouldn't work?

preston

malin
11-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Yeah, it would be like putting Winnie-the-Pooh in Frontierland!... oops...

Its a good job then that Winnie the Pooh and all his freinds won't be going to Frontierland but instead to Critter Country.Or that would of looked stupid.

merlinjones
11-26-2002, 05:20 PM
>>Its a good job then that Winnie the Pooh and all his freinds won't be going to Frontierland but instead to Critter Country.Or that would of looked stupid.<<

Same difference. Bear Country/Critter Country is really a fantasy sub-area of Frontierland, the same way Toontown is an offshoot of Fantasyland.

cemeinke
11-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Thanks for the informative info. I'm sure we all thought PIXAR was in Alabama ;)

Based on that claim, any film ever made out here in California would constitute an inclusion into DCA's theming.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. But realisticly, I don't see a problem with introducing Pixar to DCA.

First off, I think the "California" in DCA will evolve as a place name rather than as a theme for the Park - Hey, we don't expect everything to be Parisian in Disneyland "Paris." I think there will always be some California elements, maybe a land or two but with the introduction of "Bug Land" we're already seeing the erosion of the California theme.

By introducing "other" themed lands DCA can be that "other" park in California in a similar way that EPCOT became the "other" park in Florida (which is nothing like what the original acronym stood for).

EandCDad
11-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
First off, I think the "California" in DCA will evolve as a place name rather than as a theme for the Park - Hey, we don't expect everything to be Parisian in Disneyland "Paris." I think there will always be some California elements, maybe a land or two but with the introduction of "Bug Land" we're already seeing the erosion of the California theme.

I think 98% of the public won't much care about adhering to the California theme strictly, if they make interesting/fun rides and provide other fun things to do.

My daughters didn't care that Lilo and Stitch didn't fit with the California theme, they just loved meeting them and having their pictures taken. My wife could have stood there saying "this isn't riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, they shouldn't be here" instead, she was happy that they were having fun.

If they put in a ride based on Toy Story or Monster's Inc. and it didn't meet the California theme, MOST people aren't gonna care. They are gonna say "wow, did you ride Sully's Monster Blaster (or whatever) its great!"

Doodle Duck
11-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Well E&C your kids are on target.
I can't believe after all this time of cruisng both parks ANYBODY gives a hoot what the theme is! It's more rides...it's FREE (with the pass) with just a big 'smoking area' between the original park and extention entrances.
The 'FACADE' of a 'theme' is moot... after the initial themeing 'goof'.

The only ones who should be concerned are non pass holders who must decide which one to pay for. I found by 'worrying' about 'them, I was missing my own enjoyment...so...even though a bit selfish (which is not like me)...the heck with 'em! I love jumping parks and the 'feel' of the two is so different it's a truely refreshing day.
If you want to carry the Disneyland 'feel' uninterupted, just go directly to the Animation Building.
I'm REAL glad Calif. Screamin' and Tough To be A Bug and a few others have been ADDED to my old Disneyland. Period.
So they screwed up with Stupid Star Limo...so what....and I could care less about Tortillas or a mini Golden Gate Bridge...so what again.
I ignore them as I do 'Tiki Room'.
Bottom line is I'm REALLY ENJOYING this dual pass...a heck of a lot more than I would have if it was just D-land.
Theme Shmeem. 'Klutch' had it right. 'Star wars'? Indiana Jones'? Disney?
Muppets Live!

DoomBuggy1969
11-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Hey now...
There are bugs in California...there you go, thats why the attractions in DCA...there are LOTS of bugs in California :-)

Patrick

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
11-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Gee, if they gave people from elsewhere what they expect of California, the park would be full of mudslides, wildfires, traffic jams, gang turf wars, gay pride marches, and thick, thick smog.

Now wait a sec Mr. Dobson.... Wasn't Eureka a gay pride march? :-)

ldsguy
11-30-2002, 12:26 PM
Pixar is based in California, it does therefore qualify, and it all actuality, many things that we do not consider to be California themed really are and some that we consider California themed really aren't. But I do think Disney has done a good job with it, I think the park is a pretty good park considering DCA only been open for about two years, it will get more attractions and become a better and better park, I wall agree that it's not worth a one day pass, but with an Annual Pass it works well.