PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to most of the Timon Parking Lot - DCA Expansion

Darkbeer
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Wednesday, November 12th is the last day to see the current version of the Timon Parking Lot.

As of Thursday, November 13th, most of the parking lot (next to DCA) will be closed to start the Cars Land Expansion.

The Parking Toll Booths will remain, as it is the primary outlet from Disney Way, which is where most folks that take I-5 North (from San Diego) get off. But most cars will be directed to the Parking Structure or Simba. Also expect to see Pummba (across the street from Anaheim GardenWalk) open more often.

Bring in the Bulldozers!!!!! (Sigh, why is the Sun Wheel closed... would be some great photos!)

Cathy at the Park
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
This is making me very sad. I guess it's because it is really the final goodbye to the original parking lot. I loved that lot, so many great memories of losing the car, being so hot and tired and having to drag back through the lot to get into the blazing hot car (no air conditioning back then), of getting the folded red slip allowing you to pull to the front for dropping off and picking up.

Memories... misty, water colored memories...

Cathy

Sarah B in SD
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Also expect to see Pummba (across the street from Anaheim GardenWalk) open more often.

UUUGGGGGHHHHHH! The Pumba Lot, nightmare of nightmares! a hop skip and a jump in the morning feels like a marathon after midnight...
We are San Diegans with a handicapped placard, we love being right next to the tram in Timon, i'll miss it too...

snappy
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
It's a Parking lot for Pete's sake, Get over it!! Just kidding! I wonder how fast Timon Parking will take to make it to Yesterland???? Anyhoot...At least we have memories of the past....

TTFN92
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
UUUGGGGGHHHHHH! The Pumba Lot, nightmare of nightmares! a hop skip and a jump in the morning feels like a marathon after midnight...
We are San Diegans with a handicapped placard, we love being right next to the tram in Timon, i'll miss it too...

You have to walk to it? Won't they have some kind of tram going to it?

Sarah B in SD
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
correct me if I'm wrong guys but the trams cannot be out on Harbor, therefore you hoof it...

Darkbeer
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
For those coming Southbound on I-5 (LA area), the parking structure is usually the best option, easy access from Disneyland Drive exit, both the main road and the Carpool lane.

But if you are going northbound on I-5, the options suck, the main choice is Katella/Disney Way, where the signs (and the carpool lane) places you on Disney Way. If you are a regular, you do go up one more exit to Harbor Blvd/Ball Rd., alas the traffic light at the end of the off-ramp is a pain in the butt, as you need to get over to the far left lane on Harbor to make the left turn onto Ball.

But if I have a choice, I will pick something else beside the Parking Structure!

(Except Buzz Lightyear (Strawberry Field), the bus loading SUCKS!!!!!!! (Can't use trams due to Public Streets).

Darkbeer
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
OK, lets look at the two options...

First, Pumbaa, the lot across the street from the new Anaheim GardenWalk center.

Using the center of the lot, here is the walk...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2367722

6/10th of a mile walk (and yes, NO trams), but easy toll booth and parking, very little wait to park your car compared to the Parking Structure on a medium to busy day.

The Parking Structure, two maps, one for the walk from the car to the tram loading area... (Once again, an average parking spot)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2367735

So a 1/4 of a mile from the parking space to the tram, with waits to go thru the Toll Booth and then the tram.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2367739

Then another .15 of a mile to the Main Entrance Plaza, so yes, the walk is a bit shorter (.4 of a mile compared to .6 from Pummba), but the lesser waits when using Pumbaa more than makes up for the slightly longer walk. (.2 of a mile equals the walk from the Main Street RR station to Peter Pan).

Darkbeer
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
correct me if I'm wrong guys but the trams cannot be out on Harbor, therefore you hoof it...

Disney did experiment with Bus Service from Pumbaa, but the time it took to load/unload took a long time (only one door and add strollers...).

Since the route from Pumbaa to the Lion King Tram area is on public streets, Disney cannot use trams, as the vehicles have to be street legal, and the lack of doors on trams is not legal on city streets.

The walk is about the same as many of the hotels on Harbor, IMHO it is no big deal. (Now, Disney still offers Bus service from Buzz Lightyear, when it is open, due to the long walk). But the buses are a PAIN!

If Disney truly wants to have bus service, they need to look into the buses the Metro Gold Line uses.

Three doors (Stretch bus), two very large, the bus is basically very low, so with a basic platform, most folks can just walk in (or push their strollers/wheelchairs) to board (some sections near the wheels you need to use a couple of stairs, but the majority is flat).

Bytebear
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I would love to see a structure built at Pumba and tram service via an underground tunnel that would deliver you to the current drop off point for Timon. That would be ideal. and with the power lines on Katella, it is geographically doable.

MouseVII
10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
What about another monorail? Or would that not work?

newhdplayer
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Where do we put the flowers?

Bytebear
10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
What about another monorail? Or would that not work?

Apparently there is an issue with having something going over Harbor, so I like the tunner version, and Monorails aren't as efficient as trams. I do like the idea of extending the Monorail to Mickey and Friends.

MouseVII
10-30-2008, 08:12 PM
That's what I figured about that one (about the efficiency, I mean)

Animalia
10-31-2008, 05:33 AM
This makes me wonder what will happen to the Start/Finish line for the 5K next year. The past two years it's been in the Timon Parking Lot.

racccoon
10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Apparently there is an issue with having something going over Harbor, so I like the tunner version, and Monorails aren't as efficient as trams. I do like the idea of extending the Monorail to Mickey and Friends.
They should redo the entire monorail system to be more like the one in WDW. An actual transportation service for guests. A monorail from Mickey and Friends structure and drop them right at the entrance plaza. This will work just as well as the trams and present the "wow" factor for that structure.

candles71
10-31-2008, 02:27 PM

I remember someone saying Harbor is an alternate runway for emergencies. How true IDK?

bananaman20
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Where is the buzz lightyear parking lot?? I've never heard of it

Andrew
10-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Where is the buzz lightyear parking lot?? I've never heard of it
Here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.799352,-117.914135&ie=UTF8&ll=33.799352,-117.914135&spn=0.010396,0.023775&t=h&z=16&g=33.799352,-117.914135&iwloc=addr)

dznyphreak
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
When is the Buzz lot ever used? :confused:

Darkbeer
10-31-2008, 07:37 PM
When is the Buzz lot ever used? :confused:

Very busy days for Disney, New Year's Eve is almost a guarantee, between the park and DtD events.

It was used the July 4th weekend, and other times that when the park gets to capacity.

And should be used more since the Timon Lot is basically closing.

But Disney plans its use as much as possible, and fills every lot they can before opening Buzz, as they have to contract out Coach USA for bus service. The less hours it is open, the smaller the expense. So you usually won't find it open until late afternoon.

Same issue as using Simba and Pumbaa, these lots require the use of off-duty Anaheim Police Officers, and Disney has to pay a LOT per hour (they get paid overtime plus a fee to the city) for their use (traffic control on public streets), so the plan is to have it open in the morning, and fill it up as quickly as possible, then close down the lot, and send the police officers home.

But the Anaheim Convention Center probably uses the Buzz Lightyear lot more often than Disney, as an overflow for its big events. (And it is closer, so walkable and no need for a tram/bus). (And Disney owns the property, and gets some of the parking revenue from the Convention Center events that use Buzz Lightyear).

olegc
10-31-2008, 10:04 PM
what about that lot they used for the 50th - on disney way east of Harbor? not too many spots but I can see it used more for parking than before.

also, for me, if I plan to go to the park when it's really busy sometimes I go 57 to ball, turn left and drive down ball for a while. maybe even stay right, pull in to the am/pm and get back on DisneylandDr.

then, of course, the last straw (for picking up my daughter but staying more than 15 min) is taking a chance at Fairfield inn...

darph nader
11-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Where do we put the flowers?

I have GOT to get that flower kiosk up and running.:rolleyes:

DizneyMommy
11-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.799352,-117.914135&ie=UTF8&ll=33.799352,-117.914135&spn=0.010396,0.023775&t=h&z=16&g=33.799352,-117.914135&iwloc=addr)

Anyone ever notice on this Google map it lists the Convention Center as the Disneyland Convention Center?

doublewide77
11-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Looks we still got most of Timon for a little while longer. After asking multiple CM's and getting different answers today, finally found a tram lead clipboard CM who seemed to know the current plan.

1/3 is now blocked off (about 700 parking spots) The original turnaround and 1st tram stop is the area that is closed off. The only stop now is the one next to the handicap parking area.

Clipboard CM said the lot will close in thirds with another third closing sometime in the spring and the final complete closing still tbd.