PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Theatre/Steps In Time

DisneylandBoy
07-09-2001, 01:12 PM
I saw Steps In Time at the Hyperion Theatre on Friday (7/6/01). It was . . . well . . . here are my comments:

The Show:
The Fairy Godmother was extremely talented and easily stole the show. From her singing, to her acting, it was unbelievable.
The two kids - The older brother was terrible, seemed out of place. He was too big and could not act. Plus I couldn't understand anything he said. The little brother was hardly in it. He kind of was just there. The parts he was in were good.
The dancers were very talented. The only thing is, the sang sometimes and just danced other, giving away the vocals were tracked.
Overall: The show was okay. If it was tweaked and given a less sappy storyline, it could be an okay show.

The theatre:
BEAUTIFUL! Great seats no matter where you sit. Te scrims that cover the lighting on either side of the stage were ugly, but if those were removed, everything would be great. How long until they put a real show in there? Maybe you know, a Broadway show or something? Hey, there's an idea!

Overall:
Show - **(out of five)
Theatre - ****(out of five)

WizKidRyan
07-09-2001, 02:06 PM
After about 10 visits to the park I finally decided to watch the show. While it wasnt as bad as MP made it seem to be (IMO), it still wasnt that great of a show. At least the Fairy Godmother gave it her best, but that hair of hers....blech :eek: . I couldnt understand one word of the older kid when he was singing. The dancers, as you said, did an excellent job. I also loved the music and would go again just to hear it. I hope the rumors of it being replaced with Beauty and the Beast are true :D

wonderful
07-09-2001, 06:39 PM
Steps in Time has been a part of the park I really wanted to work.... and it DID, before the horrible story about the kids was added...
In case anyone forgot, it had a whole other look and three duet/solo moments that were great and very Disney... the one good thing from the makeover was the hip version of "A Dream is A Wish..." but the costumes for this part blow and the only Fairy Godmother who makes it come together is the African American one (cause you actually think she knows what hip is, she adlibs with grace)...
The dance numbers have been grosely criticized here as I would like to see anyone try some of those moves... of course some numbers SEEM simple (I Wanna Be LIke You) because they are supposed to... I think the dances are very good, except...
The Little Mermaid "Under the Sea" crap that is supposed to be techno... NO, I repeat NO true fan of techno or club type music would find anything fun or redeeming in this particular section... the fish heads were supposed to give the impression of schools of fish moving in that wonderful "in time" motion... an effect not taken advantage of at all...
The kids ought to go to school... acting, dancing and , yes, voice! The fact that we could grab kids from the audience to do this should be explored!...
I tell you, it was really not that bad before... "Go the Distance" made my ten year old niece cry (not because a thirteen year old was singing it off key) and the candleabra section only needed Belle and Beast waltzing (maybe with other Disney couples) in front to make it complete....
Finally, Steps in Time, the end piece, a much needed reminder of one of Walt's finer (perhaps, in film, FINEST) accomplishments, Mary Poppins... WAS a terrific ending ... now it has absolutely nothing to do with the story and, last time I saw the show, they even lost the umberellas!
Well, there are still the dance numbers and there's still one very good Fairy Godmother and, even in its current state, Steps in Time kicks Animazement's butt (that's not saying a heck of a lot)

DisneyFreak2000
07-09-2001, 06:51 PM
Why don't they make a "Best of Disney on Brodway" type of show? They could include the following songs from the following muscials:

1. Beauty and the Beast
a. Home
b. Be Our Guest
c. If I Can't Love Her
d. Human Again
e. Beauty and the Beast

2. The Lion King
a. Circle Of Life
b. They Live In You
c. Hakuna Matata
d. Shadowland
e. Can You Feel the Love Tonight

3. Aida
a. My Strongest Suit
b. Elaborate Lives
c. Easy as Life
d. I Know the Truth
e. Every Story Is A Love Story

4. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
1. The Bells Of Notre Dame
2. Out There
3. God Help The Outcasts
4. Out Of Love
5. Someday

5. The Little Mermaid (I'm not sure about new songs made especailly for the musical but they could include)
a. Part Of Your World
b. Under the Sea
c. Kiss The Girl

There's alot of things that need to be tweaked (i.e. telling plot, length, etc.) but if they were creative enough to use an idea like this, it could prove to be an interesting and entertaining show .

Napsto
07-09-2001, 07:30 PM
steps in time sucks.

DisneyFreak2000
07-09-2001, 08:05 PM
'SUCKS' is an understatement

Morrigoon
07-09-2001, 09:54 PM
DF2K: I like that idea

Either that, or put on Animazement there (sorry Al, I *LIKE* Animazement, it's cute, it has characters, and it's audience-appropriate) Then do a new FL-type show in FLTheatre. Give up on the whole wannabe edgy stuff. It doesn't work.

Lacrosse Boy
07-10-2001, 01:19 PM
Oh gosh, it was good. [Not pretty good or great, mind you] It was just good.

Castmbrdlx
07-10-2001, 01:24 PM
I liked it. I thought the lead little boy sang pretty good.

Alex S.
07-10-2001, 01:55 PM
I liked an idea Lani expressed once. Set up a movie screen and provide free showings of the Disney classic films.

Most of these movies will never see the inside of a movie theater again, Disney already has them on hand somewhere and it shouldn't be too expensive to set up the Hyperion with the ability to show movies (if it isn't already set up with such).

Seeing Snow White on the big screen (maybe with a couple of shorts first) would be enough to get me into DCA.

I'm not saying to stop the other shows but even one showing would be a plus, I'd think.

DisneylandBoy
07-10-2001, 07:30 PM
I agree with wonderful - I saw the African American fairy godmother and she kicked a**! I could not imagine anyone else playing that part.

SimpTwister
07-10-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
I liked an idea Lani expressed once. Set up a movie screen and provide free showings of the Disney classic films.

I'm with ya there, Alex.

It really seems like a no-brainer.

Perhaps they could run several live shows early in the day, say until 4, then have 1 or 2 showings of a classic movie, and a couple more live shows in the evening.

DisneyFreak2000
07-10-2001, 08:41 PM
I wonder how much that 13 year old kid gets paid for sucking so much.