PDA

View Full Version : Was I seeing things? Or did I see...

spaced mountain guy
11-23-2002, 09:34 PM
I was on the Monorail today 11-23. We were on our way back to Tomorrowland station when I looked down below us and saw what looked to be a yellow sub. I couldn't believe my eyes I quickly hopped back in line and took my camera with me. I had to have proof!! We came back to the same area and it was still there. It was right after the spur line for the monorail. The picture wasn't that great but it does show the top of the submarine. Could Disney bring them back for the 50'th?? anyone else see this or did I just have one too many beers over in DCA??
Sean

TimBuk2
11-23-2002, 09:46 PM
I've seen that Sub back there for many months. Either they are pack rats, or they are planning to bring it back.

Seems to me I can recall seeing a Yellow Sub back there at least a year ago. (on the far north part of the Monorail line, under the tree, and behind where the motor boat ride was). I think this is the spot you are referring to.

Disneyfreak
11-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you meant it was in the water below the monorail station.

Darn Darn Darn Darn.

That sub has been there for ages. In that little shed. It is very dirty and does not indicate anything that they will bring it back. Its just in storage there. Disney has a thing about giving away their stuff or taking it apart.

The reason they took out the subs are because the city was complaining that the diesel engines of the subs were pollution the air so much it was a hazard. Ever noticed when they were operating that it smelled alot like diesel? Darn I had some hope for a second that the subs would be returning. But there might be a 2% chance they are rebuilding the motors so they dont pollute much.

Techie7
11-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
The reason they took out the subs are because the city was complaining that the diesel engines of the subs were pollution the air so much it was a hazard.

Never quite heard this reason before. I think it had more to do with maintance, capacity, and overall money. Other people can back be up here. But if you have a link to an article about the diesel engines being a problem please post it. I am always curious to find out if closures had issues from outside sources.

So why did the Submarine Voyage close in 1998? It's because it was very costly to operate in relation to it capacity.
Taken from this page (http://yesterland.com/submarine.html) at Yesterland.com

Disneyfreak
11-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Im just repeating what a previous thread said a while back when the attraction closed.

Veritech-1s
11-24-2002, 02:13 AM
I've heard rumors about its return but not for a few years yet, and again they are just rumors.

zapppop
11-24-2002, 06:24 AM
The submarines are....... ;)

TimBuk2
11-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Hey Techie7, thanks for the link to YESTERLAND . That's very cool to see some of the old stuff.

MonorailMan
11-24-2002, 08:25 AM
I've seen that Sub before too. Not a single CM will admit that it's there though. ;)

tabacco
11-24-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm fairly sure that shutting an attraction down because of air pollution isn't the city's call to make.

spaced mountain guy
11-24-2002, 04:17 PM
aww shucks......... I was hoping I saw something that no one else saw. I guess that the cast members that saw this will be telling the maint. crew to cover up the sub before anyone else see's it and wonders if it's still there or coming back. HAHA anyone seen any flying saucers lately :)

TimBuk2
12-01-2002, 12:04 AM
:p
Ok folks, here ya go. I went on the Monorail 2 times on Thanksgiving (the only ride with NO line) and snagged this fine photo of the Yellow Sub behind the old Motor Boat ride.

Yes, it's the real deal.
Click Here to view one of the retired Yellow Subs (http://www.creativenetweb.com/disneyphotos/yellowsub.htm)

Thanksgiving day was very crowded, as expected. But I only went to get some photos in the morning.

I ended up staying at the Fairfield Inn at 1460 Harbor, which is directly across the street from Space Mountain - next door to McDonald's. It's a 9 floor hotel, the tallest on that side of the park. And what a spectacular view. :D

You can see almost everything in DCA, and many attractions in D-L. I realize I'm giving up a favorite/secret viewing spot, but you can go into the lobby, up the elevator to the 8th floor, and walk toward Harbor and you will find one of the finest views in Anaheim. Especially at sundown to see the finest So Cal sunsets ever. Not to mention FIREWORKS viewing !! . Bummer was that it was so windy for 4 days straight, they called them off earlier this week. :(

tangaroa
12-01-2002, 02:29 AM
That is the Submarine Maintenance facility. The sub back there is 302 Neptune. It's been sitting there ever since the attraction closed (over 4 years now). I seem to remember that Neptune was having problems with its hatches before the attraction closed. They would keep popping open and water was leaking in, so they pulled it into the Maintenance Bay... it just never left. So it's been sitting back there, caked in dust and rusting away in the water... with both hatches open. Sometimes they have the tarps pulled over it, but sometimes they don't.

For what it's worth, all 8 submarines are still there inside the showbuilding hidden from the public. After four years though, I doubt any of them will ever run under their own power ever again.

Doodle Duck
12-01-2002, 10:56 AM
This is just too sad.:crying:

Kuzcotopia
12-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Hey doodleduck! Haven't seen you around in awhile!

What does it say about Pressler's reign that they can't even shut down a ride without doing it half-baked?

Instead of removing the submarines, let's let them rust in the water for 5 years, then we'll have to spend 10 times as much money taking them out piece-by-piece, and it will be much more dangerous!

Ace
12-01-2002, 11:19 AM
I saw them working on a Rocket Rod from the train once... it was like the most exciting thing ever to happen to me.

MonorailMan
12-01-2002, 12:57 PM
For what it's worth, all 8 submarines are still there inside the show-building hidden from the public. After four years though, I doubt any of them will ever run under their own power ever again. [/B]

For some odd reason, when I read this, it haunts me. I have no clue why. Just knowing that all the Subs are back there makes me cringe.

Kuzcotopia
12-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I saw them working on a Rocket Rod from the train once... it was like the most exciting thing ever to happen to me.

Oh, Squinky. You need to get out more!

;-)

Ace
12-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
Oh, Squinky. You need to get out more!

;-)

Actually, the most exciting thing was when I had MY OWN Splash Mountain log which was also the first log of the day.

robsmustang
12-01-2002, 09:47 PM
which is the show mart building is that where they have inoventions