PDA

View Full Version : Sandcastles... OMG

Pages : [1] 2

LIMANDL4EVA
11-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Well as I am sure that most of you know that for the Holidays, DCA has decided to built SANDCASTLES, I am sure we all have the same feelings about this, or do we. They supposedly began on the 22nd (yesterday) was any1 there and can any1 offer an opinion or even pictures? Thanks!

justagrrl
11-23-2002, 01:46 PM
I was there on Wednesday and it looked like there were getting ready for it - but they needed more sand and stuff. It appeared to be built on a platform, or sorts, in front of the big sun fountain sculpture thing.

Techie7
11-23-2002, 02:30 PM
As of last night (Friday) they had made progress. It spans most of the length of the fountain and they have carved out about the top 2-4 feet of sand. They have put in a small retaining wall and ropes so that guest don't try to play with the sand. Also up are drawings of what the castle should look like. The primary and largest is Mickey on a sled that is being pulled by dolphins with sleighbells on. They will be interesting to watch go up but will not be a draw or very marketable for the park. As of Friday they also did not have any lighting on the sculptures which would have helped it out. Hopefully lighting will be coming soon.

On a side note the "ice" skating rink has also gone in and is very small. Placed at the base of the Christmas Tree it only allows for a couple of steps/skates until you reach the other side. Two CM's were skating but with no one around watching they would just stop and chat with each other or a person if they wondered over.

Also a new musical group is in the park. "Mistle Tones" (It's like a play on words) ;) Anyways they are on a giant rolling stage with some basic trusses and 4 singers decked out in holiday sweaters. I missed the last set so I just got them speeding down the parade route waving at people. DCA was very uncrowded last night (more so then normal). I think they can do some great things there but they need to sit down and make a plan early.

Disneyland was quite crowded with people waiting for the Christmas Parade.

GoldenEars
11-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Altho I think the sand castle event is a good idea, especially for that Park (DCA), I don't think it should be right in front of the Sun Fountain, that looks tacky to me! That's a spot where I see so many guests taking pictures in front of it, and now to have all that area obstructed with huge platforms, well, it looks real bad.

I did get to see & hear the *Mistle Tones* yesterday, and they were really good, very entertaining. And the rolling stage they're on is decorated quite nicely, very festive. I've noticed that Disney is putting together a lot of different *a capella* groups within DCA lately. Being that I love to sing, I can certainly appreciate all the fine talents of these singers, and doing it a capella!!

But why can't DCA come up with a special holiday parade that is done California styel? The possibilities can be endless with ideas on how to put it together, and make it festive, fun and unique!
I know, I know, it's all about the budget. But that would sure be a good way to draw in crowds to that slow Park.

Side bar...good thing *Aladdin* is coming soon, hopefully that will be a big crowd pleaser and have rave reviews...let's hope!

Until next time, see you all at the Parks!

Patrick:)

Gauchograd99
11-24-2002, 10:14 AM
Please excuse me for outthinking the people in charge (wait! we do that all the time by using logic and reason! :)) but what exactly is going to happen to these sandcastles when the first rainstorm hits? :) Think: high tide.
(skit)
"Another stellar idea from the folks who brought you Luminaria."
<Walking through the sandcastle area after a rainstorm...>
Child to mother: "Mommy! This sand is sooo real!"
<child slips on sand and scrapes her knee> "Ouch!!! Mommy! I hurt myself!"
Mother: "We are going to sue Disney and everything will be all better dear."
(end skit)
DOH!!

Also, as for "Aladdin" I am not sure whether to hope it fails miserably or have it be a rave... if it goes well we might get stuck with more shows like this. On the contrary, we could see the end of Anne Hamburger and her desire to hit "the big time" with this show. If it fails miserably we could be losing her anyway (how many million went into this show if anyone knows) OR she could just design yet another overpriced show.

ldsguy
11-24-2002, 06:44 PM
Ok, well, apparently the original dollar ammount planned for "renovating" the Hyperion for Aladdin was about 400 million, but last I heard that number went up......all I can say for Disney is....If they think Alading is going to replace blast, it had better be the best thing to hit the stage since Beauty and the Beast hit Broadway, which was an awesome show, but I still would prefer Blast being in the Hyperion over a 40 minute version of the Broadway Beauty and the Beast, which they are claiming Aladdin will be the equivelant of.

As for the Sand Castles, there are treatments that will allow them to withstand fairly major storms, at least a major as they get in Anaheim.

As for my opinion on the Sand Castle, I am withholding judgement until I see it for myself.

ChipmunkStar
11-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Saw the sandcastle in progress yesterday, looks AWESOME!!!

Sebastian and a couple of dolphins were done when I saw it, and they looked amazing (Out of sand!?!? Whoa!)

And we already pondred the Rain question and asked them: The entire thing is reinforced with glue :)

Laffite
11-24-2002, 09:31 PM
so even the rain won't wash the glue out?

ChipmunkStar
11-24-2002, 09:50 PM
Apparently not according to the answer we were given.

BELLEH5
11-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Techie7 1? An Ice Skating rink where? & Sand Castles for xmas, what does sand have to do with Xmas?

The Great Dunn
11-25-2002, 12:41 AM
When I think of Christmas, I think of Sandcastles. . . . . . . . . .NOT!:mad:

Mukta
11-25-2002, 08:24 AM
I saw it Saturday and it looks great. Beaches are obviously a big part of CA. And the Sandcastle is Christmas themed. So it is a combining of those two ideas. They also have a little area roped off where kids can make sandcastles. And having it right in front of the water makes it seem like the beach. Although I agree with Dsnenut, it is tacky to put it there. I loved watching the guys make it and I think they are super-talented. They turned some blocks of sand into dolphins really quickly and they make it look effortless.

RStar
11-25-2002, 10:31 AM
See, herein lies the DCA/ CA theme problem. When you have to tag sandcastles to Christmas because you can't think of anything better then you have theme problems. Think about it, what else is stricktly CA and Christmas? Palm trees with lights on them? Seems like most Christmas traditions are from the eastern seaboard, and some from the old farm towns of the midwest.

And as far as Aladdin before we scream "I could think of a much better way to spend $400,000 on DCA!", I bet this money is being spent not just to boost the DCA numbers, but also to test and refine another Broadway show. So the money spent will go toward the possible new Broadway show. If it works, it's a win-win situation. And if not, the loss is less that going full-out Broadway and making a flop. Not a bad idea, and may help with the DCA numbers.

hefferdude
11-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Techie7 1? An Ice Skating rink where? & Sand Castles for xmas, what does sand have to do with Xmas?

What??? You never heard of Sandy Clause???? Doh!

OBTW - had enough of sand and snow in New Jersey. :p

hbquikcomjamesl
11-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Chico Marx (and the name is pronounced chick-o, not cheek-o!) once said:

You can't fool me! Their ain't no sanity clause!
The San Diego Zoo had a whole series of sand sculptures built for the opening of "Hippo Beach," an early phase of their "Ituri Forest" bioclimatic area. One of those sand sculptures is still standing, many years later.

Likewise, in Sacramento's Downtown Plaza shopping mall, they periodically set up sand sculptures in one of the courts.

What's this about skating, though? Are they using a "tank" with a refrigeration system and real ice, or are they using "plastic ice"? For that matter, what do they use for the frozen pond float in the Christmas parade?

RStar
11-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Sorry, the ice is fake. It's plastic. I think the skates are roller blades hidden as ice skates.

stinkerbell
11-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Okay, I think the sand castle thing sounds dumb. Sight unseen. Sorry. I don't usually judge like that, but I would not be all that impressed to see sand castles in a Disney park, because I have seen some pretty cool sand sculptures elsewhere.

But the Aladdin thing. Are they spending $400,000 or $400 million? Both of these amounts were mentioned in this thread. Just wondering. :) Thanks!

ChipmunkStar
11-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Ye of little faith, Rstar.

The ice is some plastic stuff, the skates are real ice skates. Not roller blades. If you can ever somehow get an elevated view of the parade (Small World Mall area perhaps), you'll see that they're real ice blades.

leota's necklace
11-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by RStar
See, herein lies the DCA/ CA theme problem. When you have to tag sandcastles to Christmas because you can't think of anything better then you have theme problems. Think about it, what else is stricktly CA and Christmas? Palm trees with lights on them? Seems like most Christmas traditions are from the eastern seaboard, and some from the old farm towns of the midwest.

The Southwest, California included, has many beautiful Xmas traditions based in Hispanic culture. Here in Arizona, Xmas means tamales; and Las Posadas; luminarias (the real kind, not the smoky Disney-catastrophe kind); huge, detailed nativity scenes; poinsettias; and pinata parties.

Sure, they'd have to skip the more obviously religious stuff, but they could still have a beautiful Southwestern Xmas, sandcastles or no.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-25-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
Ok, well, apparently the original dollar ammount planned for "renovating" the Hyperion for Aladdin was about 400 million, but last I heard that number went up......
are you sure it was 400 million? i mean that could build half of a theme park, or 4 indiana jones, they could tear down the hyperion and build it 3 times for that much money. sorry i just thiink its funny to think about it.

slaakker
11-25-2002, 08:52 PM
If you want to see pictures of the sand sculptures and the "Ice" rink, go over to westcoaster.net. He has a recent update.

DisneyFan25863
12-22-2002, 05:22 PM
You mean that thing is a sun?! I always thought it was Myra from Indy! [with the "refelctions of the sun" being his/her evil laser eyes.] :D :D

ldsguy
12-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Sorry, the ice is fake. It's plastic. I think the skates are roller blades hidden as ice skates.

Well, actually the ice skates are real, the "ice" however is a fake ice, which actually I have been told is fairly easy to skate on, the technology has been around for many years now, I believe it is actually made up of some sort of thin ceramic on plywood, but I am not positive, I do know the skate are real ice skates, but due to the fake ice they have to be kept extra sharp.

EandCDad
12-22-2002, 07:22 PM
The sand sculptures look good, I thought. It's not like I'd consider it a highlight of my time there, but they look very nice and have that sorta California Christmassy feel.

HTHBellcaptain
12-22-2002, 07:27 PM
That sounds like a neat idea. I like it when someone comes up with something new to help celebrate the Holidays. I wish I could see it.