PDA

View Full Version : Disney Vacation Club

GinnyM
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd like to hear from Disney Vacation Club members. What you like and dislike?
Would you do it again? Does it really save money? Discounts, etc. And anything you'd like to share. Any regrets?
We are considering becoming a member.

Thanks!

DVC Mike
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
We are happy DVC members! Our only regret is that we wished we had become members sooner.

GusMan
10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
What you like and dislike? Any regrets?
- Like Mike, my biggest regret is not joining sooner. I could have saved so much in doing so.
- We really like the flexibility that DVC provides. While we plan on using our points strictly for Disney vacations, we know that we can do other things if we choose to do so.
- We really have not found anything that we would call a "dislike." Some might not like not having daily mousekeeping services, but you get used to it. After all, it is "home" and I dont have maid service at home either. :)

Would you do it again?
Yes. In 1/2 of a heartbeat.

Does it really save money?
I think so. It takes about 5-7 years of use before you break even between using points vs. what you would pay in hotel room rentals. After that, there are significant savings.

Discounts, etc.
There are current discounts on AP's and some dining, as well as some other perks. However, they are subject to change from time to time. The publish a little booklet that shows what the current perks are.

And anything you'd like to share.
You might want to look at some of these past threads that are similar in nature. They might help answer some additional questions.
Thread 1 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=95193)
Thread 2 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=89393)
In essence, if you normally stay at moderate or deluxe resorts, and vacation at WDW annually or near annually, then it is something that can make financial sense.

Next time you are at WDW, feel free to take a DVC tour. Sure, there is a sales pitch, but it is so low-pressure, you wont even know that it is a sales presentation.

Hope that helps.

AudieL
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Like the others, we only regret not purchasing when Old Key West was opening! We have been DVC owners for 10+ years now and we would do it again and again and again! We now vacation with our 'grown-up' kids & never fear having enough room and they have even used it on their own as well! We have stayed in in every DVC property, in every room size available and love them all....the only draw back....it spoils you and your family!

I would highly recommend taking the tour and checking it out!

richma
10-24-2008, 04:34 AM
No better timeshare program if you have kids- or are simply a kid at heart yourself!

GinnyM
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I read somewhere, that DVC offers future members specials during slow times or certain times a year. Is this true and if so are any specials being offered as this time or do you know what time of year they are offered?

Has anyone had a DVC tour at Disneyland?
Thanks so much!

Also a big thank you to all who have responded to this thread!
Your info is great.

GusMan
10-24-2008, 08:00 AM
There are always incentives being offered throughout the year. They vary depending on who you ask and when and where they bought.

For example, I got 320 extra points to use within a year. Some got 1/2 that. Sometimes you can opt for cash off per point.

I also got 6 months 0% financing of my down payment using my Disney Visa card.

simzac
10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
We love our DVC membership. Also wish we had become members sooner.

Toocherie
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I read somewhere, that DVC offers future members specials during slow times or certain times a year. Is this true and if so are any specials being offered as this time or do you know what time of year they are offered?

Has anyone had a DVC tour at Disneyland?
Thanks so much!

Also a big thank you to all who have responded to this thread!
Your info is great.

Yes, I did the tour and bought at Disneyland. FYI--they just reopened the models for the Grand Californian yesterday (I happened to be there doing some business). My guide at DL is great--if you want his name and number just PM me. They also have a scale model of an SSR two-bedroom.

GinnyM
10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Thank you Toocherie. I've been talking with DVC in Florida I understand
the Grand isn't open for purchases yet. Which DVC did you purchase? We are looking to purchase at AKL.

GinnyM
11-12-2008, 07:26 AM
We decided to buy at AKV. Will sign papers in CA.

TheTravelBrain
11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Is joining disney vacation club wotth the cost in the long run?:rolleyes:

Drince88
11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Is joining disney vacation club wotth the cost in the long run?:rolleyes:

Does it really save money?
I think so. It takes about 5-7 years of use before you break even between using points vs. what you would pay in hotel room rentals. After that, there are significant savings.
And anything you'd like to share.
You might want to look at some of these past threads that are similar in nature. They might help answer some additional questions.
Thread 1 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=95193)
Thread 2 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=89393)
In essence, if you normally stay at moderate or deluxe resorts, and vacation at WDW annually or near annually, then it is something that can make financial sense.

Next time you are at WDW, feel free to take a DVC tour. Sure, there is a sales pitch, but it is so low-pressure, you wont even know that it is a sales presentation.

Hope that helps.

I think this (including the linked threads) answers the basic part of your question. Did you have anymore specific questions that weren't answered there?

mom22gls
11-13-2008, 04:16 AM
You need to look at the cost, both in the long-term, and how it affects your current budget. It's a prepaid vacation plan, and most of us treat it as somewhat of a luxury purchase. You have to consider the fees, and if you are financing the purchase, those costs, as part of your budget, as well as possible tax considerations. As much as I'd like to think that we could and should have bought in sooner, our reality was that we owned a rental property, when we first considered it, and we did not want to have the obligations associated with that property, as well as a timeshare, at the same time. Once we sold the rental property, that was no longer a barrier, and we went ahead with our DVC purchase. I think that the biggest advantage is being able to have more space, for a family. If you have more than two children, you will, eventually "outgrow" a standard hotel room, and it does feel crowded as the kids get older. Just having a living room area, kitchen facilities, and more bathroom space, as well as free laundry facilities, has added a lot of value to our vacation stays. Two hotel rooms just does not give you the same advantage. Review the many great articles and threads, consider your own financial situation, and vacation patterns, and the answer will, likely, be clear for you.