PDA

View Full Version : Ariel's Grotto new menu

Pages : [1] 2

Koala Gurl
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
So sad...this was my favorite restaurant for 2 reasons...the food and the princesses (I have a 3 yo DD).

The new menu is just not that much fun, IMO.

Anyone know why they changed the menu? (Was there a reason, or "just because.") I am OK with change, but I just don't happen to like the food offerings (entrees are OK, but the appetizers are scary...rubbery jello?)

I miss my salmon BLT, salad, and the caramel apple ice cream dessert.

Thanks for letting me vent! :)

jMom
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I think it's part of their new "Healthy Foods" program. I don't like the updated lunch/dinner menu that I saw there either. :( If we do Ariel's from here on in, it will probably be for breakfast. I know my daughter won't eat anything listed on that new menu.

I hope they change the menu again and put a few of their more popular items back on. Healthy is good, but don't toss everything out to get some healthier items on your menus!

foolishmortal
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Sad to hear this. Why not just add healthy things to a menu and then people have the choice! I hate being forced into food choice I don't want.

Looks like we are eating more outside the park on our trip. They took away Fm as our fav place too! Now it just scares me I might come down with my shrimp/shell fish alergy if I eat there and the tables are not wiped down well!:eek:

NOT happy with the changes. maybe a email needs to be sent to them.

jenniebean
10-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I might come down with my shrimp/shell fish alergy if I eat there and the tables are not wiped down well!:eek: Oh, dear! I'm just a general half-germaphobe, so I travel with a mini pack of clorox wipes to clean the table before eating & such. Maybe you should try the same thing just to be safe-- you don't want an allergic reaction to a crummy cleaning job infringing on your Disney magic!

dznyphreak
10-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Oh, dear! I'm just a general half-germaphobe, so I travel with a mini pack of clorox wipes to clean the table before eating & such. Maybe you should try the same thing just to be safe-- you don't want an allergic reaction to a crummy cleaning job infringing on your Disney magic!

As an occasional busser at FM, that might not be such a bad idea...

foolishmortal
10-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh, dear! I'm just a general half-germaphobe, so I travel with a mini pack of clorox wipes to clean the table before eating & such. Maybe you should try the same thing just to be safe-- you don't want an allergic reaction to a crummy cleaning job infringing on your Disney magic!

As an occasional busser at FM, that might not be such a bad idea...

thanks! You just reminded me to put some in my travel bag for DL! Totally forgot to do that!

I've got a med for when I get semi sick. It helps. Plus I carry the stuff the doc gave me to drink right away if I start getting icky.

It's not a really horrible reaction, but I get massive red streaks going up my arms and break out in a rash too, so I kind of look a little weird when it happens. SO far no other swelling happens so compared to some people it's not too bad.
it's just so itchy!
Unless I eat a clam or shrimp (esp the shrimp) then I get pretty sick, and that one's no fun at all!:|*blah*

I will have to go to Plaza for the beloved fried chicken!;)

TTFN92
10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I will have to go to Plaza for the beloved fried chicken!;)

You should probably do that soon. I would think that with them changing all the menus this one won't be far behind.

I really do hate having my freedom of choice taken away from me :(.

River Belle
10-22-2008, 08:24 AM
The new menu is just not that much fun, IMO.

Is this posted anywhere?

jMom
10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes -- Do a search .. I'll try and find the link after a school kiddo pickup.

stan4d_steph
10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
If you have a photo of the new menu, please email us at menus@mouseplanet.com! We want to keep the MousePlanet pages up to date.

jMom
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I found a link, but on another site.

Basically, the kid's menu has chicken kebabs on a sugar cane skewer, with rice & veggies; spaghetti & turkey meatballs w/ fruit; mac & cheese w/ fruit; and tri-tip, cheese mashed potatoes, & veggies. The appetizer for everyone is antipasti, salad, and a basket of breads. A variety of deserts is shared on a platter.

My daughter, unfortunately, will not eat most of this.

Here is a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl080616xx#news9) to the Healthy Foods for the parks.

Koala Gurl
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
If healthy is the reason for the change, I am not all that convinced that it is really a healthier menu.

I could eat quite a healthy meal from the old menu selection (including just berries for dessert).

I am just not an antipasti fan at all.

We are going next week, if no one has gotten a photo of the new menu, I'll try to do it for you. :)

VickiC
10-22-2008, 10:33 PM
My kids would love this new menu. Anything that gives them a choice beyond hot dogs and hamburgers is great. They would order the tritip or the chicken skewers.

River Belle
10-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I found a menu on another site, too, and am really disappointed with the change. My favorite dishes (and my daughters!) are now off the menu. :crying:

Koala Gurl
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I have to say I do like the offerings for the kids (as do my kids) but at 2 and 3, they eat about 2 bites of anything these days, so it isn't my priority.

AVP
10-25-2008, 09:35 PM
We had dinner at Ariel's Grotto tonight just to try out the new menu. My one-sentence review is "Go for the food in spite of the service." I'll post menu and photos from the meal tomorrow, but the food really IS excellent. The service - not so much.

AVP

Koala Gurl
10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't know if it is purely coincidence or a result of the new menu, but the service lately has not been up to par. Seems like a lot of confusion in the restaurant. We "took the summer off" from the parks, but as recently as last spring the service was always above average. The past few times, we have had our share of difficulties (reservation mix up, delayed seating, SLOW service, unfriendly service).

AVP - what did you / your party order? I have only been twice with the new menu, so maybe I just haven't found "my dish" yet? :)

AVP
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
We ordered and shared the tri-tip, the chicken and the pasta, and we all loved all of the entrees.

I had some definite quibbles about both the appetizer and the dessert courses, but the entrees rocked.

AVP

villainLove
10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
We got back last night from Disney, went to Ariels Grotto. There was 14 of us and we all like what we got. For most of us it was the Tri-tip. The mashed potatos were great. I loved the pesto that they served with the bread, and the salad that they served with the apps. We also enjoyed the desserts, although all the kids wopuld have loved a scoop of ice cream instead!

DizMe
10-26-2008, 09:00 AM
I love the new menu!! It's soooooo much better than last year's food, IMO. We got lucky, maybe, because our service was superb. Maybe even a little over the top!

We got seconds on the bread, which was fabulous (contrary to prior experiences there). Loved the pesto, butter w/sea salt, and ranch dippers. Wasn't all the impressed with the antipasto choices--much preferred the old French onion soup--but my kids liked it (they'll eat anything with ranch dressing, except the jello, which was universally shunned by our party of 5). Dh and I had the tri-tip w/mashed potatoes and it was excellent. DD1 had glazed chicken skewer on rice (great), DD2 had spaghetti w/meatball lollipop (good, and she loved it), and DD3 had cheesy pasta shells (better than the octopus hot dog w/awful mac n cheese we got last year).

The dessert platter was vey nice. I liked the white chocolate shell with berries inside, but could only eat a little. The others all dug into the lava cake and the rest went uneaten. It looked ok but we were full.

Our server offered to box up anything we didn't eat, but we didn't want to carry it around with us.

Rockchalker
10-26-2008, 11:50 AM
These posts are really encouraging. We have reservations for December 5 and I was concerned the food was going to suck!

AVP
10-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I've posted the new menu (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=ABD401), and will post photos when I get a chance. Note that prices are going up December 12th, AND that it's cheaper to eat on the patio. *I* would be perfectly happy if they designated the patio as a character-free area and dropped the price even further.

AVP

ChipmunkStar
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
The new menu sounds nicer, and like it justifies a bit of a pricing change. The old menu was nothing to write home about, and was nothing more than a tiny step up from standard theme park fare. That "Chicken pot pie" stuff? Ew! It looked like someone tossed their previously eaten chicken pot pie and it was now yours.

Hooray for change!

Rockchalker
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I've posted the new menu (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=ABD401), and will post photos when I get a chance. Note that prices are going up December 12th, AND that it's cheaper to eat on the patio. *I* would be perfectly happy if they designated the patio as a character-free area and dropped the price even further.

AVP

Do you remember if the Ariel photo is now included in the price or is still as additional charge?

AVP
10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Do you remember if the Ariel photo is now included in the price or is still as additional charge?I don't remember it ever being included in the price, but it definitely was not last night.

AVP