PDA

View Full Version : How Does Everyone Deal With The Crowds?

Davideo
11-21-2002, 09:36 AM
As APers, we're all used to the wonderful times when it seems like we have the park all to ourselves. But during the holidays the crowds can be overwhelming. I was at the park around Halloween and DL was packed. Wall to wall people. You were either in someone's way or trying to manuever around someone else. Lines were outrageous. Even though the park looked great, people looked miserable. It's really no fun being boxed in like that, knocking against people ahead of you, knocking into strollers, etc. I'm almost willing to pass on going there at all during the holidays this year. ALMOST. But then I think about the lights, the music, the decorations. How do you guys deal with the huge crowds? Any great tips? I know, in the past, I've broken up the day by hopping over to the movie theater and catching a flick. But when I get back to the park it is still jammed. Standing in line an hour for a ride that would normally take you 15 minutes on a quiet day. I'm already breaking out into a cold sweat. I'd like to hear from others how you deal with this.

justagrrl
11-21-2002, 10:04 AM
LOL...we leave on days that are too crowded and come back on days that were like yesterday with only a minute or two wait for pretty much everything.

EandCDad
11-21-2002, 10:08 AM
Here's what we usually do during the Christmas season:

Go during the week, we just yank the kids out of school, it won't kill them.

Go early and get inside the park for the rope drop prior to the official opening time.

Ride certain rides (Peter Pan, Dumbo, Small World, Alice, etc.) first. They are pretty uncrowded first thing during the weekday.

Take a break when the park starts to fill. Movie is good idea, also lunch somewhere, or just "hanging."

Sit and wait for the parade on a good bench spot. Use this time to trade off looking at decorations, seeing the tree, taking it easy.

Ride other rides later at night, especially after the last parade, when many families head out.

That's what we do.

disneyscott
11-21-2002, 10:40 AM
the key for me is to get there early and start getting the fastpass's. remember they dont expire and time between each new one is about a half an hour. So I have this route that works well for me

1. get potc fast pass
2. get haunted fastpass
3. go on btm
4. go on potc
5. get fast pass for splash
6. go on haunted
7. go to peter pan and other type rides
8. get space fast pass
9. go on star tours
10 get autapa fast pass
this takes about 3 hours then just go with the flow for the rest of the day.

Remember If your are an ap and it gets crowded go to dca and enjoy your day

Grandbreaker
11-21-2002, 12:35 PM
just hop on the train

Ghoulish Delight
11-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by disneyscott
the key for me is to get there early and start getting the fastpass's. remember they dont expire and time between each new one is about a half an hour. So I have this route that works well for me

1. get potc fast pass
2. get haunted fastpass
3. go on btm
4. go on potc
5. get fast pass for splash
6. go on haunted
7. go to peter pan and other type rides
8. get space fast pass
9. go on star tours
10 get autapa fast pass
this takes about 3 hours then just go with the flow for the rest of the day.

Remember If your are an ap and it gets crowded go to dca and enjoy your day You'd have to adjust your route for the Holidays as HM is not a freebie fastpass once HMH opens.

I avoid crowded days when I can. But should I end up there on a crowded day, I just relax and take it slow. I pick 1 or two rides that I'd really like to do, just to keep me motivated, so I get FPs for those when I can. The rest of the day I spend just wandering. If I pass a ride and the line looks decent, I'll go on. Sometimes, usually when it's not hot, I don't even mind standing in a long queue or two.

There are three decent time windows to go on rides. The first (and best) is early AM, at park open. Then comes lunch time, between 11:30 and 1. People are eating, people are going over to DCA to eat. Drastically reduces lines. The, the last 2 hours of the day. People are watching parades and going home. If you've got energy by the end of the day, the last minute running tour is the greatest! With about 30 minutes to go, find a line that's <15 minutes. Ride. Then run to another short line. See how many you can get in before they kick you out :D !

disneyscott
11-21-2002, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
[B]You'd have to adjust your route for the Holidays as HM is not a freebie fastpass once HMH opens.[B]

not true...you cant get both fasspasses at one time when they are linked.....when it is not holiday time it goes
1.fast pass for btmrr
2.fast pass for potc
3.ride haunted
4. get fastpass for splash
and so on

mad4mky
11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

There are three decent time windows to go on rides. The first (and best) is early AM, at park open. Then comes lunch time, between 11:30 and 1. People are eating, people are going over to DCA to eat. Drastically reduces lines. The, the last 2 hours of the day. People are watching parades and going home. If you've got energy by the end of the day, the last minute running tour is the greatest! With about 30 minutes to go, find a line that's <15 minutes. Ride. Then run to another short line. See how many you can get in before they kick you out :D !

When I was at DLR last month (the weekend of Mouse Adventure). My daughter and I were able to get onto 4 rides (plus on Tarzan's Treehouse) in the first hour we were in the park. We didn't pick up one fastpass during that time...we just went from place to place. Not running...just walking.
After that first hour, we picked up our first fastpass...but didn't even need it.

The first few hours, and the last few hours are the best for avoiding crowds as GD said.:)

luvdamagic
11-21-2002, 01:06 PM
The relatively small size of Disneyland is both its bane and its charm. On summer weekends and holidays it's tough to avoid crowds unless you try to be where most people aren't, like away from main street and fantasyland during fireworks or away from NOS during Fantasmic. Sometimes the really cold and wet days may be good for the hearty among us but not always an option for those with kids.

There are days when it pays to not follow the crowd, there are others where there is practically no escape. I remember times even in the off season that the crowds were worse than in the summer because there were special events and so many rides were closed, thus making the park even smaller. If you have an AP and are local you can be more flexible and if you are open minded you can enjoy some things you don't normally - like a ride on the train , a visit with Mr. Lincoln, or an extended stay in DCA when crowds are particularly bad.

Ghoulish Delight
11-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by disneyscott
not true...you cant get both fasspasses at one time when they are linked.....when it is not holiday time it goes
1.fast pass for btmrr
2.fast pass for potc
3.ride haunted
4. get fastpass for splash
and so on In your original sequence, you'd have to wait until your mansion fastpass "matures" (i.e., your time window opens) before you can do step 5 (getting a splash FP) during the holiday. That's all I was saying.

Jason Reynolds
11-21-2002, 01:59 PM
When I'm at DLR on busy days I just think to myself...Gee I'm glad I have an AP that's more than paid for itself already, and then I feel sorry for those who paid for single day entry who have to crunch everything in. I really don't care how many rides I ride on or where I need to go, I'm just there to relax and enjoy time with my wife.

SusanP.
11-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Yep, I agree! My motto is "a crowded day at Disneyland is still better than.....pretty much anything else!" That's the beauty of the AP. You don't HAVE to be anywhere or be doing anything, running around trying to get your money's worth for the day. Just sit and have a cup of coffee, or heck, you can leave and come back the next day if you want.:D

ryguy
11-21-2002, 10:19 PM
when its too crowded i just go to dca and get a beer and relax then head back into the mass crowd at dl

socabch
11-22-2002, 06:45 AM
I try to avoid the crowds, but it's not always possible. Usually we play it by ear. If we are walking by and the line is short then we ride. Use fast passes when ever possible. Go to DCA when we need a break.

MansionMatt
11-22-2002, 08:18 AM
sounds like DCA is becoming a giant AP lounge. "need a break from DL? head to dca!" :)

my favorite spot when it's crowded is the disney gallery above pirates. i've never seen it crowded in there and there's those nice chairs and tables. you can't really people watch, but it's a really great refuge if you need a break...and want to stay in DL!

Berry Princess
11-22-2002, 08:30 AM
Take along someone that deals well with crowds. LOL I don't mind going when its crowded since I have times now that I can only go on weekends. But a friend and I have been going at least a couple of times a year since the 90s. Most the time we had no choice but to go during crowded times of year. But we always have fun no matter what. Now I live closer and have an AP. I talk my oldest for sometime alone on the weekends at least once a month if money allows. We do a day of it. I try to do it on Sundays though since it is queiter in the morning. I have never had a problem with getting on all the rides we have wanted to do in a ride either with my son, friend or whoever. My husband though can't deal so I don't like going with him. He complains to much. LOL But I do think if you have the right company with you then you kind of forget the crowds and have a great time. Of course that is just how I am and I can deal with most people. I know when my friend and I do our girls weekend next month it will be packed but its ok. No matter we will have a great time.

Berry Princess
11-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Oh and since Fastpass was being talked about...which ones are where you can get either more then one from that ride or another ride? I don't know the lingo used for descriping this sorry.

cstephens
11-22-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by MansionMatt
sounds like DCA is becoming a giant AP lounge. "need a break from DL? head to dca!" :)

That's true sometimes for us. And then there are other times when we just want to be in DCA.

MonorailMan
11-22-2002, 07:56 PM
While I love crouds, my mother hates them with a passion. This causes us to stike a balance between when we go.

We both like to escape to DCA, we find it more relaxing over there.

There Is One Thing We Have Learned, "Don't to back to DL later in the day!", it seems if we go back, all of our timing is off, and things don't go right. :)

stinkerbell
11-23-2002, 09:08 AM
I just ram them with my stroller until they get out of my way. :~)

I am SOOO joking! When it's too crowded, I just cut my losses on riding the max number of rides. We use fastpasses and spend time in shops, New Orleans square, the Disney Gallery, and ride on rides when we can. I can't stand waiting in lines, I'd rather take advantage of fastpass and browse a store, or just stand next to the Rivers of America or ride the Mark Twain. Sit on a bench outside Big Thunder Mountain. The majority of time, we have expired fastpasses sitting in our pockets and it's no big deal.

Wow. Can you tell where I spend the majority of my time at DL? :D

I also love Main St. I can spend hours and hours there.

Don't get me wrong. I love rides. Like a lot. A lot a lot. But when it's too crowded, I know I need to go with the flow and accept that it's not going to be my ideal day at Disneyland.

My ideal day at Disneyland is a Wednesday in early December when we can just walk on ride after ride after ride, but still enjoy the holiday decorations. :)

TimBuk2
11-23-2002, 10:05 PM
I'd ride over the parks in a Helicopter first to see how crowded they are. Theh just land it in the area between the parks .... freaks 'em out !

I still think they should have a "no stroller" day at the park. That would be nice once a year. But just don't announce it. Can you imagine how crowded it would be if they announded it ?

If you're an APer and live close by, that's no problem. But if you are 40 min or more away that's kind of a bummer to go and find it so busy you begin to swell up.

I would have to agree with most responses, just cruise thru the day, get as many fast passes as possible, go across to DCA for a while, get in the movie, then get to the good stuff. The FOOD !!

SameerUCLA
11-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Two words: OVERFLOW PARK (aka DCA)! :D

Davideo
11-25-2002, 08:21 AM
So the bf and I were at DL yesterday (Sunday). We arrived around 2 and the park was packed. But you know what, we still had the BEST time. We got a fastpass for Indiana Jones, then walked around and looked at all the decorations in the park. Everything, as noted, looks beautiful. We went to Main Street and had ice cream (I tried the Fantasia flavor, which I have never tried). Sat on one of the doorsteps on mainstreet and people watched. Went into lots of shops. Bought nothing but enjoyed looking. Saw the lighting of the tree. Went to DCA. Looked at the Xmas decorations (unfortunately, not much to look at ). Went on 'It's Tough To Be A Bug', which I still really enjoy. A few other things. Left early, around 7. It was crowded but still, we were in Disneyland. Can't beat that. Thanks to the people who responded to my question. Many of the answers really helped get me in the right frame of mind. :)