PDA

View Full Version : DCA on 7-8-01 - The Place Was Packed!!

KarenW2
07-09-2001, 08:15 AM
Took my MIL who was out visiting to DCA for the first time yesterday and couldn't believe it - THE PLACE WAS PACKED!! It was wall-to-wall people, like a Saturday at Disneyland! You couldn't walk anywhere without having somebody running into you, people not watching where they were going, etc.! Add the smog and the heat and it made for one really bad day at DCA!! :(

I talked to a CM at World of Disney & she figured it was because of them bring the Electrical Parade back, but I don't know. We got to the park around 12:30pm and all the fast passes for Soarin' were out and the wait time was 2 HOURS!! We checked again on our way out, and it was still 2 hours!!

We didn't stay for the EP, cos it was so crowded & people were already camped out everywhere along the parade route for the 8:45 show and it was only 6:30!!

I wasn't one of those who complained about it NOT being crowded at DCA, since I really like having the park basically to myself & being able to walk around unimpeded. I imagine Cynthia & her friends will be very happy with the day's receipts yesterday, but except for the Pin of the Month day, we won't be coming back to DCA until things die down again. It was awful!!

Was anyone else there yesterday? How did your day go? We were only able to make it to two "attractions" yesterday, "Lem-o" and Muppets 3-D, and that was after waiting a very long time. Why do you think it was so crowded yesterday??

JRob2k1
07-09-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2
Why do you think it was so crowded yesterday??

Probably for all the reasons you said. The return of the EP, it is SUMMER, so there are gonna be bigger crowds. They just implemented all the discounts, free tickets, etc...Disney is heavily advertising the park.

So all that put together is making for bigger crowds. You knew Disney would make the crowds come, sooner or later.

-JRob

amynicole22
07-09-2001, 09:48 AM
The admission price matches the park value now. $33 for an adult and child to get in - $16.50 per person, as opposed to $76 for an adult and child before the SoCal discount. I think that folks are willing to check it out now that it's not so expensive, and they have the added value of the Light Parade.

And, like JRob2k1 said - it's summer, so more tourists, local families with the kids out of school, etc.

How was the parking situation? Was it a mess?

Malicifent
07-09-2001, 09:53 AM
It was packed on July 5th, and I have to say that the parking situation was similar to a really low attendance day. They seem to have this working right. When there's low attendance, don't run as many trams, and when they're slammed, they have tram traffic jams. But gettting in and out of the parking structure was a breeze, and can I say how much I *love* the direct onramp to the 5.

r.

Ralph Wiggum
07-09-2001, 10:06 AM
Parking was interesting on Friday!! We came at around 820pm. As you come up the ramp to the level your parking on you turn right and go down a double lane til you reach your row. Well, everything was filled so they had us parking at an angle in the right lane, right near the walkway. It was very funny to see.

zapppop
07-09-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2
Why do you think it was so crowded yesterday??

maybe this had something to do with it :
http://msep.ifrance.com/msep/msep_logot.jpg

zapppop
07-09-2001, 11:25 AM
...or this:

http://www.connix.com/~pstark/mainstreet.jpg

Lani
07-09-2001, 11:32 AM
I suspect the Electrical Parade is a big factor, but I also suspect the other big factor is price. Bringing down admission to more realistic levels was probably a very wise thing for Disney to do.

And yes, this is prime vacation season right now, and I suspect a lot of folks are out on holiday and using the Fourth of July holiday to slingshot into a longer vacation.

I would be interested to find out if the higher attendance at DCA is sucking out DL attendance at all; ideally you want a symbiotic relationship, but it may very well be more of a parasitic one (I mean this purely from a numbers standpoint, and am not implying that DCA is "parasitic" in general, mind you!!).

Andrew
07-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
...or this:

A folder?

zapppop
07-09-2001, 11:39 AM
Sorry Andy !

Technical difficulty.

Lani
07-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
Sorry Andy !No biggie zapppop, but he goes by "Andrew," not "Andy." :)

zapppop
07-09-2001, 08:58 PM
I'm so embarassed.................NOT :D

Okay ! Andrew it is :)