PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax On Passes

rkbarlow
11-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Is sales tax charged when passes are purchased at the gate or at Disney Stores? If so, are they charged when passes are purchased from the web site. Just wondering if this is a way to save some $.

EandCDad
11-21-2002, 08:58 AM
The prices listed for any pass include sales tax. Either that, or they are tax exempt for some reason, but the price listed ($105, $225 or whatever) is the price you pay.

tabacco
11-21-2002, 06:25 PM
I believe ticket media is tax exempt. I might be wrong, though... I just remember someone saying that once.

WizKidRyan
11-22-2002, 06:39 AM
At the Disneyland Resort, you pay the price on the sign for the ticket/pass. This is unlike Walt Disney World (thankfully) where you do have to pay sales tax on media. It's quite annoying, really :)

ldsguy
11-24-2002, 06:54 PM
As far as I am aware, in the state of California, the only two things that are exempt from Sales Tax:

Food (Sorry, food from restraunts is not exempt)

and services, which the pases are considered a service, not a product; therefore, there is no tax on it.

Hydroman
11-24-2002, 06:59 PM
The current State budget crisis may yield a change in that. The Democrats are considering all sorts of tax increases to lessen the deficit.

EandCDad
11-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy
As far as I am aware, in the state of California, the only two things that are exempt from Sales Tax:

Food (Sorry, food from restraunts is not exempt)

and services, which the pases are considered a service, not a product; therefore, there is no tax on it.

Actually, there are quite a few things that are exempted (http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub61.pdf) from sales tax. One is "necessary items" which inlcudes food (and certain health and housing items.) There are also tons of other things like the sales of hot food items to a common carrier and the resale of those items to the public.

Disneyland tickets seem to fall under "transactions not considered to be sales or purchases of tangible personal property." This also covers services, airline tickets, stocks, real property, and some other stuff.

stinkerbell
11-25-2002, 02:50 PM
We have no sales tax in Oregon and I had to pay the same amount on tickets purchased here that I do there.