PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain

Pages : [1] 2

disneylandgirl
10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
My dad is at DL today, and said they changed Splash so that you WILL get wet on it, no matter where you are sitting. Is this really true? Or did my dad just forget how wet you get? My fiance and I are going in Dec, and I don't want to have to skip it because you get so wet... anyone else notice a difference in how wet you get??

EvilQueenShari
10-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I rode this with my sister on Oct 11, and I have to say, I was soaked. I was shocked at how much water came into the boat. The folks behind us wore plastic bags and they still got fairly wet.:eek:

DisneyDustin22
10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
There's no real way to control how "much" you can get wet. While there are sprayers and the aftermath of the splashdown, it more so depends on many things like the flume water level, the number of people in the boat, the combined weight of those people and where the larger people are sitting. I've sat in the front before and been misted, and I've also sat in the front and had a wave literally pour up and over into the boat. I think overall the safest bet would be towards the back.

MauiMickey
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
When we rode Splash last time we were in DL (late Aug.), we figured out that how you load the ride vehicle has a lot to do with how wet you get. This could be purely in our case, but you never know...we tried it many times in our "new" configuration" and had good luck with it.

Many years ago, we used to be able to ride and get just a little bit wet, but since March/08, we have noticed that we got pretty much soaked each time we rode. Tired of walking around in wet pants all day, we started thinking about how we loaded the vehicle and wondered if that could affect how wet we got.

My husband loved to sit in the front, but we tried putting our youngest son in seat #2 (too short for the front), oldest son in seat #3, my husband in seat #4 and me in the very back. With this configuration we came out pretty much dry (a few drops on our legs, but nothing much).

So, you could try asking if you can load the heavier people in back of the ride vehicle to see if the weight balance creates less of a tidal wave. We noticed that if my husband or brother were in the front (both big guys), the tidal wave came on the first drop...much more than the final drop even!

That being said, if your log is loaded to the hilt, I don't think you have a prayer of staying dry. :D

el gee
10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey disneylandgirl--(and future daughter-in-law), if I'm feelling brave, we'll give it a try tomorrow. Don't want to get too wet, may be on the cool side weather wise. Did your DD say how the crowds were today?

Tisha
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
In my opinion you do get more wet lately. It used to be like you can ride it and just get a little bit wet, but every time I've been on it recently I get pretty much soaked. So lately I've been skipping it.

ChurroGirl
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
If you dont want to get to wet, tell the CM you want to sit in the back, they will not ubject to this, we do it everytime we ride.

buzzzz
10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
My guess is that it depends a lot on loading. I rode it twice in the middle row last week (with my family of four). The first time the log was fully loaded and I got drenched. The second time there was nobody in the first two seats (just the four of us in the rear) and the log seemed to skim above the water rather than dig in and create a wave. We hardly got a drop on us.

Now, GRR is a different story. My underwear got so wet it took 2 weeks to dry out.... :D

-buzzzz

disneylandgirl
10-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Hey disneylandgirl--(and future daughter-in-law), if I'm feelling brave, we'll give it a try tomorrow. Don't want to get too wet, may be on the cool side weather wise. Did your DD say how the crowds were today?

Hello future mother in law!! You found me! :p My dad said there was hardly anyone in the park yesterday. He called me at about 5 and said everyone was leaving.

Lehua
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
We noticed that if my husband or brother were in the front (both big guys), the tidal wave came on the first drop...much more than the final drop even!

Yes! I rode SM last week and the right side of my leg and shirt got wet during the first drop, but I didn't get splash at all after the big drop. The loading CM told me that typically the middle row is the least likely to get wet. But I agree that it has more to do with the amount and location of the weight distributed around the boat.

Niwel
10-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Glad they changed the sign.

It used to say: you "may" get wet -- meaning you had permission to get wet. (The word should have been "might" -- as in "there is a chance you are going to get wet, but we can't promise).

Considering the way the logs are weighted now -- I think "will" is a better word choice. :)

MrsPooh
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I just pack one of those rain jackets with me, and they work pretty well for keeping me dry on Splash, as well as GRR.

In the middle of the summer, I don't mind getting a bit wet. I hate being drenched, it's miserable. Especially in the off season months. And I hate the thought of skipping those rides for that reason.

This last trip, when we were there in Jan, I had a large rain coat, and I made sure I used it. It helped.

Heck, do you believe I actually got blasted with water on POTC once? Right in the face, plastered my hair. Never happened before that, and I've rode POTC a million times. Bizarre.

bananaman20
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Heck, do you believe I actually got blasted with water on POTC once? Right in the face, plastered my hair. Never happened before that, and I've rode POTC a million times. Bizarre.

Wow same thing happened to me!! Right after the second drop. Totally unexpected lol

splash114
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
We rode SM on Friday and Saturday (10/17-18) and got soaked each time. We had 6 in our party so we fillled up a log and all six of us were soaked from head to toe. Two in our party opted to purchase new clothes as a result. My wife's pants from Friday we still wet on Sunday. We love SM, but don't want to get wet where you're not comfortable your entire stay.

nbaum
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM

My whole left side was drenched on POTC last month! But the boat was packed and I remember thinking our boat felt more weighty in the water when the ride first started.

PTGeoffie
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I, personally, have always gotten drenched on SM; from my first ride on its opening day up to and including my ride two weekends ago. I actually remove my glasses now because I was missing so much of the atmosphere due to splashed on lenses. I don't think they changed the ride. I think it's more related to weight distribution, than anything else.

BTW: Mrs. Pooh, thanks for the laugh. The POTC drenching actually happened to me and my friends last year, at the bottom of the second hill, just like bananaman20 mentions. We were all 3 in the back seat and we laughingly credit my friend with "bottoming out" the boat:eek:, since she got the worst of wave. She was so absolutely furious for the rest of the ride that my other friend and I couldn't help but laugh the whole time. And we still do to this day whenever we think of it. We revel in retelling the WHOLE tale:~D

Moral of this story: If you ride a water ride you WILL get wet. Deal with it!

kkmickey
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
This has always been my personal strategy. Sit in the back or middle of the log. Carry on a sweatshirt or jacket, placing it over your lap, so if any water splashes onto your legs or seat, you will hopefully stay dry. At the end of the ride on the main drop, raise your arms and smile for the camera. As soon as you see the flash, quickly duck your head, covering your head and shoulders with the sweatshirt or jacket. This way, even if you get wet, you rarely get soaked, and your hair doesn't get too wet.

But that is just my personal preference. I am also the kind of person who wears a rain poncho on Roaring Rapids (I know, blasphemy!!!)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-21-2008, 07:03 AM
I just pack one of those rain jackets with me, and they work pretty well for keeping me dry on Splash, as well as GRR.

In the middle of the summer, I don't mind getting a bit wet. I hate being drenched, it's miserable. Especially in the off season months. And I hate the thought of skipping those rides for that reason.

This last trip, when we were there in Jan, I had a large rain coat, and I made sure I used it. It helped.

As my kids would say at the end of the drop "ewww Pirate water!!!"

dlfansx4
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Add me to the group that wonders if they changed something. We used to ride it all the time and would get the typical 1/2 of my leg wet, some of my shirt, etc. Nothing too bad and we always dried pretty quickly.

Then the last time I rode it, a huge wave came over the boat and drenched all of us (heavier people were in the back, me in the middle, two 9 year olds in the front two seats). We had to buy new shirts for the kids (I had a spare) but I still walked around looking like a drowned rat for the rest of the day because the wave came over the top of our heads and just soaked our hair. I was not happy, LOL and haven't riden the ride since.

disneylandgirl
10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Add me to the group that wonders if they changed something. We used to ride it all the time and would get the typical 1/2 of my leg wet, some of my shirt, etc. Nothing too bad and we always dried pretty quickly.

Then the last time I rode it, a huge wave came over the boat and drenched all of us (heavier people were in the back, me in the middle, two 9 year olds in the front two seats). We had to buy new shirts for the kids (I had a spare) but I still walked around looking like a drowned rat for the rest of the day because the wave came over the top of our heads and just soaked our hair. I was not happy, LOL and haven't riden the ride since.

Ya, my dad is totally convinced they changed it. I will be there in December, and I just don't want to be miserable the whole time if I ride Splash. I'll just make sure and get a poncho. :p

MrsPooh
10-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I have gotten a leg or shoe wet with the drop on POTC, but can you believe the spray in the face was from one of the cannon shots in the battle scene?

The light and "foosh" went off next to me, and splashed a big amount in my face. I really hate that, especially when it soaks my hair and I look like crap in all the pictures taken after that time. :rolleyes:

That one had to be a fluke.

I think I'll ride in the middle from now on, and let someone else get wet! :~D

underthesea1987
10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
3 or 4 years ago I had to fly home the day before the rest of my family ( My dad, step mom and at the time 4 and 5 year old sisters) I knew that going into I could only pick one not kiddie ride to go on, and I picked POTC. I got DRENCHED. Of course I had to get on a plane and hour and a half later, so had to fly home in soaking wet pants, as the rest of my clothes were already packed and kinda gross by that point. I refuse to ride on the outside to this day lol.

Lehua
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I have gotten a leg or shoe wet with the drop on POTC, but can you believe the spray in the face was from one of the cannon shots in the battle scene?

Same thing happened to me last week - I got sprayed on the head by a canon splashing in the water. I've ridden pirates probably 100+ times and I've never been splashed by the canons. It was no big deal getting wet, but it caught me off guard.

mousemom2008
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Ya, my dad is totally convinced they changed it. I will be there in December, and I just don't want to be miserable the whole time if I ride Splash. I'll just make sure and get a poncho. :p

Absolutely something has changed. Before you could always hide in a middle seat and not get wet at all, or just splashed a bit. But lately every time we go on it, we get drenched. One time the log had literally three to four inches of water in it by the end of the ride. The attendants said, "Oh, this log is too wet, take it aside" when we got back, but didn't seem surprised at all. They were really nonchalant about both the water in the log and about us soaked from head to toe, which led us to believe something had changed and getting wet was normal now. The only time we didn't get soaked during the last three months was late at night when there was no one in line, and they let us be just three in our log. We put our heaviest in back, the next in seat four, and the lightest in seat three. The front two seats we left empty. We only got splashed a little. So my advice is definitely wear a poncho and if possible group the boat with heaviest in back and lightest in front.

disneylandgirl
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the good replies!!