PDA

View Full Version : 8th Birthday was Fabulous (brief trip report)

justagrrl
11-21-2002, 07:34 AM
Yesterday we took our family to DLR for my daughter's 8th Birthday. We had a fabulous time. We arrived just before opening and ended up with a great parking place - which is always a good sign. Upon entering Disneyland, we went to City Hall and she got a Birthday Sticker and a special call from Goofy (which she noted was the same phone call as last year. hmmmm) We then made our way to the rope via the stores on the right hand side. We waited inside - and when the CM came over to start to opening spiel, she asked my daughter if she wanted to help open Disneyland by pushing the button! What a fun treat for her!

She wanted to ride Toad so we thought that would be a good one to start with as it'd probably be busy later on. We then did Dumbo, Tea-Cups and Alice before making our way over to Thunder and Splash. As it was getting quite warm already, Splash felt great. We stopped for hugs and kisses from Eeyore, Tigger and Pooh. No lines for anything - even to visit with them. Nearly a walk-on with maybe a 2 minute wait. We took the train over to Space Mountain and then decided to go over to DCA and get in a few rides before we met my parents for lunch at the Blue Bayou at 2:20. We stopped for a little drink and rest along the way - it was about noon so my husband enjoyed a beer. We ventured down to the pier where my husband and daughter rode Screamin' 4 times in a row while I was done after just once. Actually - I guess she rode it 5 times. We did the merry go round and the Maliboomer and then to Grizzly. Once done, we thouht we'd go on Soarin too and got in line. For some reason the line didn't move at all in the 5 or so minutes we stood there - and upon seeing the 15 minute wait time we thought we might be better off heading back to Disneyland and taking it easy for a few minutes while waiting for our lunch date. We took the train to NOS and settled down to watch a group of singin men jammin' and tossing beads. My kids just loved this and even my daughter, who is reluctant to get up and "perform" for anyone did it for the necklaces.

My parents arrived and we headed over to the Blue Bayou for a fabulous lunch, right on the water. Really - one of the best meals I've ever eated out. I ordered the roast pork and my husband got the chicken ceaser which he also loved. My parents both got the Monte Cristo and said it was tasty. My daughter got her usual - Clam Chowder and my son got the chicken nuggets. He then promptly went to sleep. They brought my daughter a chocolate mouse with a candle on top and sang to her - and brought my son a mickey mouse shaped jello which he, with eyes barely open, scarfed down. I was afraid that being at Pirates would bother him - as talking about eating there was confusing to him. He didn't want to be in the dark to eat. Once there though, he was fascinated by the boats going by and not bothered in the least bit.

We made a quick trip, after our late lunch, to HMH which was just as fun as before. I noted all the presents open that were not when I'd been there last time. Lots of fun. After all that, we were pooped. So, my parents went off on their own and we came on home. I'd hoped to stay for fireworks but after being in the sun all day, and having such a great meal, we were all just worn out.

One of the best times we've had at DLR. My daughter was wished Happy Birthday over and over and loved it. We even had a great parking spot and sunny weather (if not overly sunny!).

MammaSilva
11-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Sounds like a wonderful wonderful day :)

MouseWife
11-21-2002, 08:29 AM
It sounds like a very wonderful day!!

I think it is cool that your parents joined you.

So, ah, it isn't too dark in the Blue Bayou? I think I am with your son on the dark issue, he was alright with it, eh?

Thanks for sharing the day with us!!!

justagrrl
11-21-2002, 08:57 AM
It's actually pretty darn dark in the BB... my mom got our her little flashlight on her keychain to read the menu. :p

One more thing - there was guy at the table next to us that took a photo of his dessert - the one with the curly hill from HMH - don't know what it was. I wondered - hmmmm....could that be someone from around these boards taking a photo of their dessert? ;)

MouseWife
11-21-2002, 09:08 AM
LOL

I don't know~ my kids took a picture of their creation~
'Mr. Roll' I think it was. A roll with all of their veggies and
stuff made to look like a head. Yes, we have the picture.
That was taken seconds {literally} before the 16 month old
choked on his veggies. He is fine but we don't eat there anymore,
the place on Main St. {at Disneyland}

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I don't care for the dark, dark places.

I do have a little flashlight hooked onto my purse. :o

cstephens
11-21-2002, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the great trip report. Sounds like everyone had a great time and your daughter had a great birthday.

Zina
11-21-2002, 12:09 PM
I really enjoy these type of messages posted. I am new to DL. Only went for the 1st time 2 weeks ago. We had a blast. But, although I learned alot on the message boards, I learned even more when there. I plan to go back the end of Feb. for my son's 4 year old BDay. I loved the city hall deal with a call from Goofy. Did you have to prearrange any of that? Are there any other BDay tips you could give us. We sure want the day to be special.
Thanks, Zina in Arizona

Morrigoon
11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
You don't have to prearrange the Goofy call (technically, any CM who knows their business can do it). However, if you want to order a personalized birthday cake, you will have to call in a week or two ahead of time. They cost a fortune, but you get an edible image (very nice looking) of your kids favorite character on top, and the cakes they get are OUT OF THIS WORLD. Especially the chocolate cakes with fruit filling - yum! I recommend the round layer cakes (traditional cake) instead of sheet cake because of the whole filling thing. Besides, unless you're feeding an army, you don't need a larger cake, trust me (I ate many an offered slice of birthday cake back when I was a CM - there was ALWAYS leftovers) I think Plaza Inn is the location that does the cakes now.

socabch
11-21-2002, 09:19 PM
justagrrl,
Sounds like your daughter had a wonderful birthday. You're a good mom and she'll always remember what a great time she had. Doesn't make you feel real good when your kids are happy?

jslivinski
11-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Thankd for the trip report. I'm glad to hear she had a wonderful day.

Laila!
11-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a truly magical trip...

Thanks for sharing even though it makes me green with envy :)

You see, I'm a Disney-holic myself and desperately wanted to go back to Disneyland again (I've only been there once back in July 2000). But the thing is I live in Indonesia. And man, going to Disneyland is really like a dream to me now because the economical difficulties in Indonesia made the US dollar currency very high and unstable. It’s almost impossible to go back there. It’s WAY too expensive. I was lucky enough to get a rare chance going to Disneyland two years ago, but now…

Oh well. At least I can console myself by browsing Disney websites or reading wonderful trip reports such as yours :)

Thanks!

stinkerbell
11-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Hi Laila! I loved your post and am glad you have found MousePad and can read about the daily happenings at Disneyland. I live in Oregon and can't go as often as a lot of people here on MousePad, so I love to read and feel like I'm there. :)

justagrrl~~~Great trip report! It sounds like an ideal birthday for your daughter and for getting on some good rides. Mmmmm, I could just picture that meal. Yum.

Thanks for the report! :)