PDA

View Full Version : Disney Watch Bands

Blanche
11-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know how to get a replacement watch band for a Disney watch? I bought my husband a really nice watch at Disneyland in 2001 and the plastic band has broken, rendering it useless. It's a big watch -- too heavy for the wimpy bands available in drug or dept. stores. I have called Disney Delivears, WDW, JC Penney and Disney Store with no luck. Has anyone out there been successful in obtaining the same band that came with the watch? It's a shame that the watch always outlives the band! Some where out there there has to be a place to find a new one that fits!

tod
11-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Good bands are out there -- I've found a "band" is usually metal and a "strap" is what they call a leather one -- and I've found good watch people can replace the stock buckle on a new strap with the Disney-specific buckle that came with the watch. You may not be able to get a D*I*S*N*E*Y band, but you already made a choice when you wore the watch rather than sealing it in the box. Join the club -- I wear my watches too!

Check real watch places, preferably not in malls, that have professionals rather than minimum-wage teens.

Good luck.

--T

Bruce Bergman
11-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by tod
{Snip}
Check real watch places, preferably not in malls, that have professionals rather than minimum-wage teens.

Good luck.

--T

I have a Seiko Mickey Chronograph (the luminous face), and when the old band and battery both decided to die at the same time, I went to a local real watch shop. (Ventura Blvd and Shoup, Woodland Hills)

Speidel black Lizard leather band that was an almost perfect match to the original band - AND an extra-long model so I wasn't using the last hole (big wrists), a new battery, both about $18 installed, in and out in 20 minutes. ;)

I wear a cheap Casio G-Shock digital for work... :cool:

If you're worried about the collector value of the watch, keep the original band. But if you wear it a lot, go get your name and drivers license number engraved on the watch back - depending on where you lose it, you may have a decent chance of getting it back.

--<< Bruce >>--

mad4mky
11-20-2002, 07:42 AM
I have a very nice watch from DLR...which needs a new watch band also. I still can't find one...and I have been to several watch shops and jewelers:( . Good luck...

Blanche
11-20-2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Bruce, for the tips. Unfortunately we have no real watch shops here, so my next step is jewery stores. You were fortunate to have a Seiko - they make replacement bands for their watches. This watch is made by Disney Time Works and has a heavy plastic band/strap. And, yes we DO wear our watches. This is the only one my husband wants to wear! I don't care if the new band is the same as the original, I just need it to be strong enough for the watch, which is pretty thick and heavy.

tod
11-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
I have a Seiko Mickey Chronograph (the luminous face)

Me too! I scotched a sale at the watch counter at World of Disney a few weeks ago when a guy was looking at watches and almost bought a new chronograph with a black face and Mickey peeking through the small dials until he saw mine and decided that was the one he really wanted. My wife (who bought me the watch for my birthday) was very proud.

I also mesmerized a two-year-old who was at eye level with it who was amazed that a grown man was wearing a Mickey Mouse watch. He pointed at it with one hand while he tugged daddy's sleeve with the other: "Look daddy! Mickey Mouse!!"

We have good watch shops all over the San Fernando Valley. I use two in Van Nuys and one in Burbank all the time. My Burbank guy recently put a new movement in my 25th-anniversary Disneyland watch (bought it on eBay, there was corrosion in the movement from a leaky battery) for $30. Good as new.

Good luck in your search, Blanche.

--T

Blanche
11-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Thanks! I did just find a band that will do for now. At SEARS! (I had NO luck at the local clock shop.) This plastic sports band is not as thick and won't last very long, but it looks good and now I know where to go for a new one. I will just have to keep replacing it until the watch itself dies. It's a cool watch. Has Mickey's face in it with different functions in his ears. And it lights up. We've gotten lots of comments and compliments on it.