PDA

View Full Version : What features would you give the New Space Mountain if it is built?

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
11-18-2002, 07:30 PM
What would you put in the new space mountain if you were an imagineer? Would you have a new improved space cookie, new effects, loops in the track? Please give some info on what you would do with the looks and the design of the new space mountain of Anaheim.

SzczerbiakManiac
11-18-2002, 08:23 PM
I'd love to "see" it made into a totally dark ride. Keep the intro and extro stuff (I love the launch lighting effects), but make the bulk of the ride completely dark so you cannot see the track at all and you don't know what to expect next.

Morrigoon
11-18-2002, 08:31 PM
I would fix the sound system and lose the stupid satellite on the central moon, also ditch the FedEx robot junk.

Otherwise I would change nothing. It's a great ride, leave it just as it is.

I would, on the other hand, like to see them ADD the Paris SM to our TL, but retheme it to Mars or something so it can coexist with our current one.

Disneyfreak
11-18-2002, 08:41 PM
I would love to see the track keep its loose feeling. An example of that would be that the track makes alot of noise and vibrates all the walls around it. That would be something that only the anaheim space mountain should have. Also I would like to see the lifts have LIM's, or make it like the Paris track where it shoots you up the lift. I dont know if I would not add any special effects during the ride but I do want the space cookie to be there. Im sure they could improve the light so it wont illuminate the track. Can you guys think of anything else they could improve?

zapppop
11-18-2002, 09:04 PM
I like the upside down loop and corkscrews in EuroDisneyland's Space Mountain, but I'm not sure if ours is big enough to do that. I think the Marne La Vallee SM is larger than the one in Anahiem. What I would really like more than anything are 2 things; First - install some decent head rests ( soft w/ lots of padding ), and Second - fix the audio bug ( I would like to ride SM w/o my portable cd player and headphones for a change ).

Ace
11-18-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I like the upside down loop and corkscrews in EuroDisneyland's Space Mountain, but I'm not sure if ours is big enough to do that. I think the Marne La Vallee SM is larger than the one in Anahiem. What I would really like more than anything are 2 things; First - install some decent head rests ( soft w/ lots of padding ), and Second - fix the audio bug ( I would like to ride SM w/o my portable cd player and headphones for a change ).

2 things. 1, I remember hearing that the buildings are the exact same size. Not sure if it's true. 2, someone should make a track that syncs up to the SM music. You have the song, and so you could write down how long into the song that things happen. If you started it when the car starts moving, it would be way cool. You could do this for a number of rides, actually, but space would be the easiest since there is already a synced music track.

spaced mountain guy
11-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Since they are going to refurbish it, hmm what to do........ There have been HUGE advances in metallurgy since the 70's. Wonder if we can get rid of some of the supports to make it possible for more track to be in there? A corkscrew might fit but they would have to squeeze it in. Just please don't goof up on the finish. Space Mountain has one of the best finishes around. It just seems like its going faster and faster, but we all know its just the turns getting tighter :) Please find something to do with the People Mover/Rocket Rods track. LIM's sound great but please dont launch it like Paris where its outside of the mountain. The LIM's Could do a great job of adding speed to it when the coaster is running out of energy and needs a boost.Just not a Space Mountain launch platform. and get a sound system in there that works and gets regular maint. Bring back the space cookie, its just a former crumb or faded cookie. You really have to spend half the ride just trying to find it. Ohh one more thing PAINT IT WHITE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Great Dunn
11-19-2002, 02:53 AM
If they rebuild Space Mountain just like the one in Paris, all I would say would be WOW! It puts the Disneyland SM to shame! I grew up on the Disneyland Space Mountain and 2 years ago I went to Disneyland Paris. Considering that I'd been going to the Original Disneyland since I was three, I was looking at everything with a skeptical eye and I was somewhat disappointed with Paris, but the one thing that stuck in my mind was Space Mountain. It really blew me away. I know the purists will raise hell, but that ride could use a bit more punch, especially when its compared to the other Space Mountains. Maybe a refurbished and kickass, take no prisoners Space Mountain is needed to inject alittle life into Tommorowland. Its a very good place to start.

Pirate Bill
11-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
2, someone should make a track that syncs up to the SM music. You have the song, and so you could write down how long into the song that things happen. If you started it when the car starts moving, it would be way cool. You could do this for a number of rides, actually, but space would be the easiest since there is already a synced music track. This would be terribly restrictive considering the relatively small space in which they have to work with. Working with the music first would be like building the shell of a house before you planned where the rooms would go. And, there's already a synched music track because there's already a coaster track in which to synch it! I'm sure Dick Dale would cut another version to fit with a different track schematic. (Personally, the coolest guy they could have found to write music for that ride. :cool: ) I'm not getting my hopes up for a new ride layout even though I think it seriously needs something huge to bring in the people back to TL. I think the current ride is a little too tame for it's theming. Just my $1.50.

Doodle Duck
11-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Whatever they do, they MUST move the entrance to the front and make it OTHER than a long walk UP Hill. I would ride Space Mountain over and over if it didn't wreck the legs for the reat of the day.

a-mad
11-19-2002, 10:27 AM
I have mixed feelings on trying to turn in DL's Space Mtn. into DLP's...

Don't get me wrong... I love DLP's version. We just visited DLP for the first time two months ago, and had a wonderful time... and Space Mtn was certainly a highlight... but here are two reasons why:

1) There are strong indications that DCA will, indeed, be getting Rock-n-Rollercoaster. This is a launched indoor coaster with inversions. With CA Screamin' and RnRC, I would think that another launched coaster w/ inversions would be just too much of the same thing.... (although DLP has both Space Mtn. and RnRC, which, indeed are somewhat familiar)

2) This is purely a personal thing... but if they add even just one inversion to Space Mtn. at DL, you would have to add over-the-shoulder restraints to the trains. I'm just not a big fan of them. I love the freedom of lapbars.... and inversions just don't hold a ton of appeal for me. I'm a huge rollercoaster fan, and it isn't that I can't handle inversions... it's just that I find the current DL layout to be absolutely outstanding. If they pull out any of the killer helix finale layout in DL's current Space Mtn. and replace it with a boring corkscrew, I'll really be upset.

I wouldn't mind the beginning sequence to include a launch... I think it could add to the ride... I just don't see a need to change the layout a ton.... FX, show and soundtrack upgrades, however, would be embraced whole-heartedly.

sydney
11-19-2002, 11:25 AM
I think, and this is the first time I'm prepared to say this, but you're absolutely right, a-mad, they don't *need* to add loops. I would love them for it, but they don't need to. My priority would be upgrading the safety systems and track replacement (that coaster doesn't need to feel shakey and noisey (i think i just made those words up) because of theme. in fact it should feel (imho) wild, but smooth, like a trip in null-g (as in space)...

But what the theme really could use is the launched takeoff. It's a space rocket. I mean really. The justification here really doesn't take much argument. I think I would be extremely pleased with the makeover if they
1)replaced the track system (even with a similar layout, which as many have pointed out, isn't bad as is)

2)added amazing and better show effects

3)most important, added a launch to the takeoff. This in itself would succeed in a "rebranding" of the ride, just as adding sound did a few years ago.

4)oh yeah... now that i mention it... Fix the music, already!!!

hefferdude
11-19-2002, 11:34 AM
The smooth banked " in space " idea would be good but maybe just before the "linear" launch, the work up could be noisey and shakey with steam or smoke like a real rocket trying to lift before the hold down clamps are released!:eek:
SM had spinning misty bars on the slow travel up that haven't worked in quite awhile. They really yanked a good effect there.

No! to over the shoulder harnesses and and a big yes! to the music. What about the smoke screen projection ie in I Jones for ducking meteors or other rockets etc?:~)

tabacco
11-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I don't want them to change it. I like Space just the way it is. My only request is for a reliable music system.

GeminiAngel
11-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I would like the outside launch, but don't add loops! I hate going upside down! This would make this beloved attraction off-limits for me. Add more track maybe. And, Yes-fix the darn music!!!!!

ErikBsandiego
11-19-2002, 01:24 PM
A) Fix the music. I totally don't understand why this is a huge problem.

B) Perhaps do some retheming in the loading station and in the que area. That should be relatively cost effective and a useful investment to "freshen" the ride for the 50th.

C) Use MOST of the remaining budget to give us a unique E-tix experience in TL.

As I said in the discussion about Star Tours - I really hope the company doesn't invest in money in upgrading an attraction that will continue to be based upon the same technology (why was space mountain cool when it first opened? Becauase up until that point we had NEVER been on an "indoor" roller coaster!". WHy was the upgrade great ? Because now it was a roller coaster with a VERY cool soundtrack - hadn't done that before).

In contrast, Disney now has a number of coasters with "soundtracks", Disney and others have indoor/dark coasters, and a number of coasters have "theming" at least in the que if not through the whole ride itself.

I come back to - lets get DST Jules Verne rides!!! You have the engineering done, most of us are never going to Tokyo (in contrast some of us will go to WDW), and they are "ground breaking" in terms of ride technology.

Morrigoon
11-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that....

PAINT IT WHITE AGAIN!

(And I'd like to reiterate that they should leave the inside as is, but repaired ;) Rip down Innoventions, build the Paris SM, retheme it to like Mars or Jupiter or something and have the two side by side)

Disneyfreak
11-19-2002, 03:38 PM
In my opinion is that they add a suspense like california screamin and keep you at a dead stop then launch you with a guy going 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Liftoff!!!!!!!!! Then take off and have a excellent rock and roll sound track. Then have the same track layout but make it go faster. It only goes 30mph. So I definately think that could be added. They should have a max speed of 60 mph. Then have all the neat effects with the fog and a neat space environment. The problem with the current theming is that if you look donw you can see all the projectors lighting everything up, which creates light so you can see the track. They have better technology these days where it is not noticable. Therefore the environment would be completely dark giving a better experinece.

JoeCanadian
11-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
In my opinion is that they add a suspense like california screamin and keep you at a dead stop then launch you with a guy going 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Liftoff!!!!!!!!!

While the countdown idea is pretty nice...California Screamin' already has it's own reliable countdown system. The teenage sideline 'cheerleaders' :D I rode about 6 times last year and each time there'd by someone off to the side screaming out a countdown.

Disneyfreak
11-19-2002, 04:03 PM
I meant the soundtrack would be announcing that. Its all apart of the sound.

BJW
11-19-2002, 04:13 PM
I like the idea of moving the entrance of space mountain to the old Rocket Rods que and having the launch through the glass tube with an LIM. Al seems to hint at this in some of his latest updates. I think it would be cool because it would be sort of like Space Mountain and Rocket Rods combined. It would be a unique opportunity to ride 2 of the most thrilling Tomorrowland attractions ever at the same time!

merlinjones
11-19-2002, 08:30 PM
>>I like the idea of moving the entrance of space mountain to the old Rocket Rods que and having the
launch through the glass tube with an LIM. <<

And please put the Rocket Jets back above it!

Would the SM rockets move through Tomorrowland on the PM track before being launched up into the mountain?

Gauchograd99
11-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Not to get down on the idea of a faster ride on the track in SM now, but do you realize that your body (and the structure for that matter) can only take so much abuse? If you doubled the speed the final helix area would have G forces over 5.0 and the initial impulse (jerk) to the side would knock people out? If I remember correctly a human can withstand 6.0 G's into the face, 4.0 G's backwards (?), but only about 2.5 sideways. Someone who has a rollercoaster safety page available can find this info as I am too lazy to check it. :)
If I were to modify the mountain, there are a couple things I would do right from the start.
1) Use the queue from Rocket Rods and start the coaster across from the show building... you can use a LIM system if you so choose, but you are going to need more space within the structure for the first bank if there is much speed. I suggest using the same trick they already do (not gonna spoil it for those who don't know :)) to make you feel faster.
2) Build a very smooth track that starts pretty quiet and get more and more exciting on the way down, but at the end use the distance back to the queue for something cool. Heck, use the old Rocket Rod tunnel to return and you can just have it be like the return taxi trip back to the docking. :)
Why not?? This is Disneyland after all! :)

Disneyfreak
11-19-2002, 09:31 PM
If you guys could guess, how much money do we have to work with anyway? What is the budget for the 50th on space mountain? Knowing Eisner only 50 bucks and some change. My mom has worked for disney before and they always want something changed at the last second and for free!!!! But thats not how it works. You have to pay extra for the the changes they want. Disney thinks just because they have a contract they can add or change things free of charge.

ryguy
11-19-2002, 09:53 PM
hope they dont change to much just tweak up it a bit, i mean this is the first computer controled steel coaster, its the first in its class