PDA

View Full Version : Disney as it was

Bluesky
11-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Hello All,
I'm taking my father to Disneyland this December. He's never been and I'd like to spend part of a day showing him things that remain from when the park opened and the decade or so after. How do you suggest I go about this? Any suggestions for an itinerary, or something?

Thanks!!!

*Bluesky*

FoodLover
11-18-2002, 09:30 PM
There's an absolutely wonderful book called The Nickel Tour that covers the early history of the park, but it's quite expensive.

I'll tell you one thing -- there's not much left from Opening Day! In terms of circa 1955 attractions, what comes to mind would be:

Main Street (though all of the shops have changed)
Main Street Vehicles (some were introduced later in the 1950s)
Disneyland Railroad (C.K. Holliday and E.P. Ripley are the original engines)
Mark Twain Riverboat
Jungle Cruise
Golden Horseshoe Revue (different show these days, though)
King Arthur Carrousel
Mad Tea Party
Peter Pan's Flight
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Sleeping Beauty Castle
Snow White's Adventures
Dumbo Flying Elephants
Autopia (now completely different from original)

Not open in 1955, but open before 1960:

Tom Sawyer Island
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Grand Canyon Diorama (on Disneyland Railroad line)
Columbia Sailing Ship
Alice in Wonderland
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Monorail (not the same one currently running, though)

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Bluesky
11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
That's great info, thanks!!

The Great Dunn
11-19-2002, 02:14 AM
Two places to keep an eye out for, the Firestation, and the Disney Gallery above the Pirates of the Carribean entrance.
The Firestation's second floor was Uncle Walt's Apartment, where he lived when he stayed at the park. (There's a good photo of it in the screen saver section of mouseplanet.)
The second stop is The Disney Gallery. This area was going to be Uncle Walt's new apartment, but sadly he passed before Walt could use it. If you look behind the cash register area its actually the wet bar. The outdoor courtyard would have been an area where Walt could entertain guest's, and from what I could tell from the layout, it was probably a three bedroom apartment. Plus its right next to Club 33.
:D

ksejr1
11-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Bluesky
Hello All,
I'm taking my father to Disneyland this December. He's never been and I'd like to spend part of a day showing him things that remain from when the park opened and the decade or so after. How do you suggest I go about this? Any suggestions for an itinerary, or something?

Thanks!!!

*Bluesky*

when u go, go during the week for less crowds. What you can do to compare is take video while your there of everything you can. And try to buy the Walt Disney Treasures Disneyland USA DVD it's in a tin container. Its opening day of the park and is interesting.

Bluesky
09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Ok, a little late here, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. My father had an amazing time, from the initial music and penny arcade at Main Street to the final fireworks in Fanatasyland. When my father was a little boy his father would drive by the park and upon seeing the Matterhorn the kids would squeal to stop and my grandfather would say "it's all fake!" and just keep driving. Even though the Matterhorn was closed on our visit, I have photos of my father looking over wistfully at it. With your help I was able to take him on a tour of what he missed as a little boy. We ended up going on **every** single ride, and a couple times I went back to the hotel early while he stayed a little longer. It was really magical, and now Disney has a new 53 year old fan for life!

Ghoulish Delight
09-07-2003, 10:29 PM
That's awsome! Glad to hear it.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-08-2003, 06:36 PM
It's so nice to hear that it's never too late to take in the magic. A 53 year old running from ride to ride.....I wish I'd been there with you!

:)