PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare on Main Street

Pages : [1] 2

TomorMatt
10-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I am not sure if anyone else was at DL on Thursday October 9th, but the situation on Main Street after the evening parade was one of the most disturbing situations I have seen.

We attend DL fairly often (4x-5x / year) and are used to the crowd leaving the park immediately after the parade. This is also a time when many people are entering the park from DCA. Because the parade restricts the flow into and out of the park, the minutes after the parade are usually pretty chaotic. The CMs typically do a pretty good job of directing the incoming traffic to one side of the street and the outgoing traffic to the other. I am not sure what happened on Thursday night, but the process had a major breakdown.

Immediately after the parade, a couple thousand people (my estimate based on 30-40 people shoulder to shoulder across main street and 60 rows deep) who were coming into the park collided with a couple thousand people who were leaving the park. With no flow in either direction, the crowd could not move. I was close to one CM who said she had never seen this happen before and had no idea what happened. She said they were calling in all hands to come and try to faciliate the flow, but all that the CMs could really do was hold their lights up and try to point incoming and outgoing traffic to different sides of the street. Unfortunately, no one could move at this point so that did not help.

I am not sure what originally caused this disaster, but the situation was pretty dangerous. I am far from claustraphobic, but even I started to feel a bit anxious. Other people were not doing so well. I expected management to use the PA system and instruct either the incoming traffic or outgoing traffic to step back so the crowd could start moving, but no one did anything to help. We eventually made our way to the front and I feel lucky that we were safe.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar.

Bytebear
10-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the Candleight Processional.

silence
10-11-2008, 05:18 AM
During Nemo construction during the Holidays we encountered something similar.

Came into the park after dinner during the very end of the parade (I know, what were we thinking!). Once inside we went through the stores to get away from Main Street. Went to Fantasyland, while everyone else stayed on Main Street waiting for fireworks.

Once we realized it was just too busy to stay with my son, my mom and I decided to try to catch the Monorail out of the park. We hit a WALL of people between the Nemo construction wall and the Matterhorn. It was CRAZY and it was so dark over there and there were no CMs anywhere. My DS was getting VERY nervous clutching my hand. People were yelling at eachother, it was just ugly.

Needless to say, we don't visit the park that close to Christmas anymore!

janell
10-11-2008, 06:22 AM
We had something like this on Friday Oct 3rd. We had ate in DL and needed to leave the park to go to DCA for the Halloween event. I would say it was around 7:00pm. The paraide was almost over. We were walking on the west side of the street, got to Cokes Corner and a CM told us to go through the shops. Okay so we did. We got to the ice cream shop and no one could move. People on the side walks were stopping to watch the paraide and there was just no where to go. Once the last float went buy people started to move but not far. It took us Im guessing 15-20 min to move from the ice cream shop to the front gate. We did have an ECV in our group so it made it even harder to move.

ScottC4746
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, I remember several years ago...I guess it must have been 1995 or there abouts we went the day AFTER Christmas on a Saturday to boot. This was when they were bringing Yesterdayland to Tomorrowland as we know it today. Well, with those crowds they managed to hit a gas line during construction. They shut the monorail, Autopia, Subs, Matterhorn, Skyway, and the Rail Road down. Everyone leaving IASW were forced to go around the Tea Cups and between Alice and the Matterhorn to get through. In escense they were trying to squeeze a crowd the size of a watermellon through a passageway the size of a pea. For those wanting to enjoy IASM they were routing them through the castle...again the watermellon and pea thing so the leaving watermellon could get out through the pea.
Some day...I must be a sadistic massicist...I must go on New Years Eve just to see how they handle those crowds.

olegc
10-11-2008, 01:00 PM
well, it had been for a while that the Electrical PArade at DCA had it's start moved to the other end of the parade route and then ended at Sunshine Plaza AFTER the fireworks started on main street in Disneyland. Then folks would try to rush over and I can say with some certainty that the entry into the park on that nigth I went was held up a little. kind of like a stop light at the onramps on the freeway. then, after waiting, we were able to get in (we were shooting for 10pm fantasmic anyway).

I wonder that now since Electrical is on hiatus (is it?) that there is nothing keeping folks at DCA - so they rush over after that park closes to come in to the park for fireworks.

I am surprised so many people left Disneyland after the parade. It's been there so long I did not think that crowds were that heavy any more for a parade. BUT - for fireworks, you bet..

Do you know if the backstage passage on the west side was opened for folks? I wonder if the combination of no Electrical, and no west side access, forced everyone into the middle. BOTTLENECK!

jenniebean
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh goodness, I can only imagine parents were very worried about their kids :(

Although it sounds a lot like leaving WDW after New Year's Eve... or passing periods at my high school.

Maus
10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I was there that night too. The parade had just ended and everyone was trying to get back up Main Street for the fireworks. My friends and I were trying to leave the park. I saw hardly anyone trying to leave and we felt like we were swimming upstream. We stayed to the far left as we walked in a one conga line of people. Yes, it was crazy but we seemed to move okay. I think the people trying to go into the park were really having a hard time of it. But I have seen it worse between Christmas and New Year's. That's when I avoid the park if I can.

Malcon10t
10-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I must go on New Years Eve just to see how they handle those crowds.They keep the sidewalks moving better than most nights. The real fun comes leaving after midnight fireworks. From the hub to the gate would take 35-50 minutes. They try to keep exiting traffic in the street, and inflowing traffic on the sidewalks, but people think they can get where ever faster doing it "their way".

GrumpyUTboi
10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I hate how people push and shove and then stop in front of those of us with strollers. When we bump into them then they get all upset, but now I used to be very cautious now if an idiot steps in front of me and then stops I ram the stroller into their leg, and remind them not stop in front of a stroller. It sure is a mess after the fireworks, that is for sure.

janell
10-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Im with you, GrumpyUTboi. We have a member of our group that always has a ECV and people jump infront of her, stop, they are close to her hitting them and she tries so hard to hold back, which is why people get infornt of her like shes not even there. So now I now yell, she doesn't have breaks. Which she doesn't. Trying to bring to their attenction someone is there and move it over loss it, because she may not be able to stop. And thats even when she is going slow. Its not like shes racing around the park, she goes the speed of our walking. Its just plan hard in crowded areas and we try to avoide them, but we do get cought every once in awhile.

wendyxo
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
but now I used to be very cautious now if an idiot steps in front of me and then stops I ram the stroller into their leg, and remind them not stop in front of a stroller.

You intentionally ram a stroller into people?

kristinhawk
10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
You intentionally ram a stroller into people?

Oh no, the great stroller wars... Of course, I can't resist...

I can't speak for the previous poster, but as someone who has only twice visited d-land *without* a stroller, I will say that I've nipped ankles completely unintentionally and unavoidabley multiple times, and not because I was inattentive, but because they suddenly cut in front of me, etc. Twice, I have even had people step on the stroller wheel or footrest to get around me faster in moving traffic. And once, I had someone actually step on my 1 year old who was in the seat (yes, she howled) to try and stand in front of us at a parade.

There is a huge lack of respect on both sides but holy carp, I sure feel like some people show a great deal of disrespect and disregard for those in strollers, wheelchairs and ecvs, especially in a crowd.

When it's extra crazy, like the op mentioned, we take our kids out of the stroller and carry them just so that they don't get smothered. It can be terrifying...

lauras5boys
10-12-2008, 02:08 PM
We were there on Thursday night as well. It was awful! I wasn't paying attention to the time and we decided to leave not thinking that the parade was ending right then. I was by myself with the 5 boys (baby in the sling, 3 year old in the stroller and the 3 bigger boys holding onto the sides of the stroller). People were actually climbing *over* the stroller and my boys. Finally a girl stepped over one of my 6 year old and I was ready to get upset when she parked herself in front of my stroller and started pushing her way through to clear a path for me. She kept her hand on the front of my stroller and kept checking to make sure the boys were holding on and ok. I don't think I would have made it through the crowd without her. Talk about getting a guardian angel right when you need one.

Malcon10t
10-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Main St is bad after fireworks, especially for strollers, wheelchairs, and ECVs. We've posted before about the lack of respect for those previously. The number of people who will cut in front of any of the above is unbelievable. I've seen adult men step over a person in a wheelchair's legs to get to Space Mountain that one split second faster. They tend to think a stroller, wheelchair, or ECV can stop dead in their tracks when they cut in front of them to move that one inch closer to the person in front of them. We've had people step OVER our service dog to get somewhere faster.

Instead of pushing in the crowd, and cutting into the small extra space in front of a stroller, wheelchair, or ECV, just take it easy and take your time.

cstephens
10-12-2008, 08:30 PM
now if an idiot steps in front of me and then stops I ram the stroller into their leg, and remind them not stop in front of a stroller.

I will say that I've nipped ankles completely unintentionally and unavoidabley multiple times

There's a huge difference between 1) not being able to stop and hitting someone accidentally because they're cutting you off and 2) having the time to stop but still hitting someone really hard on purpose to "teach them a lesson". The former is pure accident and unavoidable. The latter is reprehensible.

ScottC4746
10-13-2008, 10:54 AM
There's a huge difference between 1) not being able to stop and hitting someone accidentally because they're cutting you off and 2) having the time to stop but still hitting someone really hard on purpose to "teach them a lesson". The former is pure accident and unavoidable. The latter is reprehensible.
Remember this is Southern California and Los Angeles and while it is not Six Flags, there are still crazies there that would trurn around and slug you for purposely hitting them with a stroller.

DisneyMamaof2
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not proud of it, but my husband is one of the ones who "accidentally" hits someone after they repeatedly stop in front of the stroller. But then again, he takes pride in being known as "The grumpiest man at Disneyland". He actually has a "flip-off" counter, yes he counts the amount of times he flips people off when they cut him off or stop in front of him when he is pushing the stroller. Like I said, I'm not proud of it..but I love him anyway :)

We are also victims of having someone step over my daughter while she was in the stroller. We've had parents not watching their children, and their child actually took a toy right off of my daughter's stroller tray:eek: Luckily their older child was paying attention and promtly brought the toy back.

We have been at DL for New Year's Eve, and crowd control went well. Even though they didn't do the fireworks because the weather was too bad. We ended up going into FL to ride a few rides before leaving to avoid most of the crowd. Ended up having a really nice time.

Rockchalker
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Definitely agree. Adding, that sometimes it is harder to stop than others depending on the traffic on Main Street. You really have to be paying attention. If it is more crowded I am more likely to nip someone with the stroller as I am trying to pay attention to my second child walking next to the stroller.

Wobble
10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm not proud of it, but my husband is one of the ones who "accidentally" hits someone after they repeatedly stop in front of the stroller. But then again, he takes pride in being known as "The grumpiest man at Disneyland". He actually has a "flip-off" counter, yes he counts the amount of times he flips people off when they cut him off or stop in front of him when he is pushing the stroller. Like I said, I'm not proud of it..but I love him anyway :)

Whoa @ your husband!!! Just tell him to be careful, like someone said, there are some people who would not hesitate to punch someone (or worse...) for flipping people off or hitting them with a stroller on purpose.

MouseyEars
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I remember a horribly crowded day years ago where it was almost impossible to move- I happened to be going the other way when a young couple with a stroller appeared in front of me. The "Dad" was telling the "Mom" to "Just ram them with the stroller!" meaning ME!:eek: The mom didn't, but all I could think of was how disastrous it would be if I fell on their baby:(

DisneyMamaof2
10-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Whoa @ your husband!!! Just tell him to be careful, like someone said, there are some people who would not hesitate to punch someone (or worse...) for flipping people off or hitting them with a stroller on purpose.

I agree, but sometimes the "road rage" sets in after an entire day of people pushing, stepping over your stroller with your child in it, and purposely jockeying for position for a parade standing directly in front of your 3 yo . Not to mention it is pretty hard to stop a 20 pound stroller carrying a 40 pound child in an instant. I'm not saying what he does it right, but I can see where someone would feel like getting a little revenge. At least he doesn't actually say what he is thinking.

I remember a horribly crowded day years ago where it was almost impossible to move- I happened to be going the other way when a young couple with a stroller appeared in front of me. The "Dad" was telling the "Mom" to "Just ram them with the stroller!" meaning ME!:eek: The mom didn't, but all I could think of was how disastrous it would be if I fell on their baby:(

I agree with you. It would be horrible if you or anyone, would fall on top of a child in a stroller. People without children in strollers, or who have never pushed a stroller does not understand how frustrating it can be to be pushing that stroller and have people be completely inconsiderate.

foolishmortal
10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
WOW~ chief reason we NEVER took a stroller to DL! My kids walk all the time so never even want to be in it. they have more energy then US!:p;)
Always have our backpacks and when the DS wore out we just carried him. He is very small and very light weight so it was no biggy! His Sissy even piggy backed him when she got to a place she didn't want him to walk! Silly girl!

We never leave after the fireworks we just pick a nice spot in NOS and wait it out then after it looks like the main hub-ub is over we slowly head out, usually with the DS asleep on one of our shoulders.

I feel bad for people with the strollers and evc's we have run blocker for wheel chairs and evc's before! And Dh even carried a small one for this poor mom with 3 littles trying to leave the park once, after a parade! that was also the same day we decided that, that was the first and last time we leave after fireworks!:eek::rolleyes:;)

tchatters
10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I'll confess, I clipped someone with a stroller this weekend on purpose. The same teenager had crossed back and forth in front of me 3x on Main Street at 7:30 right after the parade. He then proceeded to walk backwards to take a picture, stopped right in front of me. People ran into us from behind. I asked him to please keep walking so he turned around, walked three steps then stopped again and told us to duck so he could take a picture. All the while, people are crashing into my husband from behind me. I had just enough room to swerve slightly left but I still clipped his leg with the wheel.

HobbitFeet
10-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with you. It would be horrible if you or anyone, would fall on top of a child in a stroller. People without children in strollers, or who have never pushed a stroller does not understand how frustrating it can be to be pushing that stroller and have people be completely inconsiderate.

As someone who went 34 years pre-baby, and 2 more years without a stroller, I can tell you it's rotten from BOTH sides.

While walking with the crowd at a Scottish festival in VA once, I had a lady with a mondo stroller hit my heels 2 or 3 times. It HURT! Although I was chicken and didn't say anything, each time I looked back to glare, and she was absolutely clueless. She had NO idea the front of her stroller was that close to me.

Although I am extremely careful with my strollering, and I leave a lot of room in front of me just like I do while driving, sometimes people do step in front too closely. I can't even imagine hitting them, though. I wouldn't rear-end someone while driving just to make a point, and I won't do it with a stroller.

And on the clueless side, my husband is absolutely brain-free when it comes to where the front end of our jogging stroller is! It's a big reason we do NOT take it to DLR, b/c I know he would hit someone b/c he just doesn't know where he is on the road. He's even hit ME! This is a man who can do the "back up into the parking space" in our close-in parking garage in our massive (used, only thing we could qualify for when our only car suddenly died) Grand Marquis", but he doesn't know how far out the "lip" extends on the InStep.

When we're at Disney if we rent one of their strollers, I refuse to let him push b/c I know he's going to hit someone. He just has no clue.

If he ever purposely hit someone? I'd be reconsidering who I married.