PDA

View Full Version : Parade of Stars: Huh?!

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalSnowWhite
11-17-2002, 11:29 PM
OK, I've noticed this before, but never really thought about it til Sunday. Why are Donald and Daisy wearing hooded robes? Why is there a Noah's Ark balloon? Please tell me, it's so strange to me.:confused:

Kuzcotopia
11-17-2002, 11:32 PM
See Fantasia/2000

That'll explain it.

Kevin Yee
11-18-2002, 11:41 AM
There's an unsolicited testimonial of the folly of holding over parades past their welcome.

Parade of the Stars started life as the Fantasia Parade, complete with graduation music the whole time (shudder). It morphed to a more generic 45th birthday parade, and still hangs around now cuz no one wants to pay for a new one.

And now there are doubtless lots of people wondering why there are hoods on their heads.

Sure, that's a small detail... but DL is all ABOUT the small details. They add up.

RStar
11-18-2002, 02:15 PM
I use to just disslike that parade. Now I have grown to hate it. Sad to say about anything in the Magic Kingdom. At least they did decide to change the music from the "graduation song" (Pomp and cercumstance-SP?:rolleyes: ).

*in my best drunken pirate's voice*
"WE WANTS A NEW PARADE! WE WANTS A NEW PARADE!

PhilMP
11-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Sadly, PoTS is budgeted through the 50th. Hopefully we'll get a new parade then.

Phil

SoCalSnowWhite
11-18-2002, 10:52 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanations. I would like to see a better parade. The most memorable one for me has been the 35th anniversary parade. Was that the one with the big balloon characters, kinda Mardi Gras-like? Something like that would be great.

But, they'd definitely need to work Tarzan in there!!:D

zapppop
11-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Donald and Daisy Duck starred in Pomp And Circumstance, the seventh segment of Fantasia 2000. The music was set to the story of Noah's Arc. If you notice, the float pulling Mickey & his friends at the end of the parade are the whales from The Pines Of Rome, the second segment from Fantasia 2000.

The parade started out as The 45 years Of Magic Parade Of The Stars (long name) and each of the sections in the parade were set to a different strain of music from Pomp and Circumstance. Guest Performers were given hats to wear that they would keep as souvenirs once the parade was over.

The music was changed to a medley of Disney songs by the summer of 2000, then in fall they stopped making the hats for the guest performers and now they would receive a blue fairy pin instead, and finally in January 2001 the name was shortened and The 45 Years Of Magic Parade Of The Stars
became The Parade Of The Stars. Since then, there have been no changes
to the parade.

The parade was originally scheduled to run until the end of November 2000 but was extended for another year, and then it was extended again, and then earlier this year, it was extended to run through fall 2004. After that, the parade will be shipped to Penny Bay, Lantau Island and will become the daytime parade for HongKongDisneyland.

So, there ya go.

Allysen1Derland
11-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
Was that the one with the big balloon characters, kinda Mardi Gras-like? Something like that would be great.

The Party Gras Parade!!!! That parade was goin' on when I worked there as a CM, and we'd always, always hope to catch beads, but with no luck! (It's better that the guests and little ones catch 'em anyhow! :) )

I though Blast from the Past was, well, a blast! I really liked that parade a whole bunch!

And yes, the Pomp and Circumstance-graduation-theme PotS music was atrocious. I remember thinking, "Huh?" when I first saw a preview of that parade! I'm almost always so awe-struck and impressed by Disney, that in some ways I've come to expect so much! When they do let us down, it hits double hard!

And I KNOW I'm gonna get major flak for this, but the whole Tarzan-in-a-loincloth is a bit unsettling. YES, I'm so with you guys in the arena of "Tarzan is tasty and hot!" ;) :D However, it's a wee bit skeeze for Disney! When he sails by on that float, I feel like I should be stuffing $$ in his loincloth! Although the faux-muscled Hercules cotume wasn't any better!

cstephens
11-19-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Parade of the Stars started life as the Fantasia Parade, complete with graduation music the whole time (shudder). It morphed to a more generic 45th birthday parade, and still hangs around now cuz no one wants to pay for a new one.

And now there are doubtless lots of people wondering why there are hoods on their heads.

While I too wish there was a different parade, I'm not sure the holdover makes that much of a difference with Donald and Daisy. Even at the time that "Fantasia 2000" came out, anyone who didn't see that wouldn't have understood why Donald and Daisy were dressed that way, or what the hot-air balloon was for. Anyone who has seen it would probably still recognize it even now, so the non-understanding comes from not having seen the film, not from the timing as much, I think.

Kevin Yee
11-19-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm not so sure that even those who have seen the movie would remember it well enough two years later to make the connection to the floats and costumes. Indeed, I might not have myself, were it not for this thread.

Ghoulish Delight
11-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Pomp and Circumstance is one of my favorite sequences from Fantasia2000 (behind Rhapsody in Blue), so I never had a problem making the connection.

Allysen1Derland
11-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Pomp and Circumstance is one of my favorite sequences from Fantasia2000 (behind Rhapsody in Blue), so I never had a problem making the connection.

Oops! I didn't know that! But, then again....

I've never seen Fantasia (even though I own it on tape!) or Fantasia 2000! :eek:

So, I suppose in some respects, it's kinda nervy of me to weigh in on this!

Thanks for the connection, GD! :)

Morrigoon
11-19-2002, 02:00 PM
I've been saying it for a couple years now: they need to take the WWoD Parade music from Paris ("Dance a catchy rhythm") and use it to liven up POTS.

SoCalSnowWhite
11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Allysen1Derland

And I KNOW I'm gonna get major flak for this, but the whole Tarzan-in-a-loincloth is a bit unsettling. YES, I'm so with you guys in the arena of "Tarzan is tasty and hot!" ;) :D However, it's a wee bit skeeze for Disney! When he sails by on that float, I feel like I should be stuffing $$ in his loincloth! Although the faux-muscled Hercules cotume wasn't any better!

I knew that one of them had a fake muscle costume, i just couldn't remember if it was Tarzan or Hercules. At least they have Tarzan on a float, that makes it a little less sleazy. Can you imagine if he was out walking around....

Ghoulish Delight
11-19-2002, 03:13 PM
I knew that one of them had a fake muscle costume, i just couldn't remember if it was Tarzan or Hercules. At least they have Tarzan on a float, that makes it a little less sleazy. Can you imagine if he was out walking around.... It'd be better. When he's on the float, you get a rather, umm, compromising view of said loin cloth.

zapppop
11-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I've been saying it for a couple years now: they need to take the WWoD Parade music from Paris ("Dance a catchy rhythm") and use it to liven up POTS.
We don't need the theme song alone.
We need the ENTIRE parade ! EuroDisneyland doesn't even use all the floats in it anyway and has several other parades sitting backstage.
Ship WWOD from Marne La Valle to Anaheim !!!

Klutch
11-19-2002, 04:41 PM
I want to see a "Disney Parade of Executives". And I want lots of fruit and vegetable carts lining the parade route.

cstephens
11-20-2002, 02:20 PM
I knew that one of them had a fake muscle costume, i just couldn't remember if it was Tarzan or Hercules. At least they have Tarzan on a float, that makes it a little less sleazy. Can you imagine if he was out walking around....

They used to have a meet-and-greet with him at the treehouse.

zapppop
11-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Tarzan can still be found lurking around his treehouse in Adventureland periodically but its very rare now. I remember a friend of mine seeing Tarzan pass by us and my friend turned to me and said " That's not a character; that's a stripper ! ". Still makes me laugh.

ldsguy
11-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Last I had heard was that Parde of the Stars will NOT be making a return after this year's holiday parade, I dunno, it would be nice to see them get some new floats and costumes (some of the costumes and heck the floats are still left over from Light Magic)

The floats from Light Magic were cut up and came back into Mulan, then I guess waht ever was between that and POTS, but Disney needs to get a clue and relize that FREE labor, or labor for pins is not right, if I were going to dance in a parade, I would want to get money for it!

Chris Wade

gn2dlnd
11-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
The parade started out as The 45 years Of Magic Parade Of The Stars (long name) and each of the sections in the parade were set to a different strain of music from Pomp and Circumstance.

Unfortunately no, it was the same recording over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

zapppop
11-25-2002, 05:51 AM
Actually, if you check Al's Archives on MP, you'll find a clip or two of the parade when it first started out and you can hear the different sections of music. They probably just reused some portions over and over which is why it would feel like they used only 1 piece over and over and over.

gn2dlnd
11-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Actually, if you check Al's Archives on MP, you'll find a clip or two of the parade when it first started out and you can hear the different sections of music. They probably just reused some portions over and over which is why it would feel like they used only 1 piece over and over and over.

Sir Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance as arranged by Peter Shickele (noted PDQ Bach authority) for Fantasia 2000 is 6 minutes 18 seconds. This is the only piece of music they used for the original Parade of the Stars. Over and over and over and over. You can check Al's Archives against your very own copy of Fantasia 2000 right here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/dud.htm).

zapppop
11-25-2002, 08:09 PM
You misunderstood what I said earlier.
I didn't say any other songs besides Pomp and Circumstance were used in the parade; what I said was different parts of the parade were synched to different sections of Pomp and Circumstance.

gn2dlnd
11-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Ah, sorry. I reread your original post and I had misunderstood it. I took it to mean that different arrangements of the piece were used.

I sure wish they'd retire that parade. And the "Christmas Fantasy" parade. I remember when the old Christmas parade, "Fantasy On Parade," had live music performed in almost every single one of it's units. My favorite was the trombone band on the Jungle Book float playing Colonel Hathi's March. And all the straight sweepers loved the "Glock Girls." About 20 girls in little white fur-trimmed velvet mini dresses and down-to-their-waist long straight wigs, playing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" on glockenspiels followed by the jolly old elf himself. Fantasy On Parade indeed.

I know the thread was originally about why Donald and Daisy are wearing hooded robes, but since that got covered...