PDA

View Full Version : My first time to DCA

malin
11-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Hello everyone I have just got back from the Disneyland Resort(Full trip report to follow I promise)And while I have been to DL before I have never been to DCA and I have to say I like it a lot.Its not the worst Disney park ever built and if you want to criticise any park make it WDS in Paris.I perfer it to AK and MGM in Orlando to tell you the truth.Here are my thoughts on the attractions that I visited.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It:Great attraction that was a lot of fun to watch and join in with.

Muppet Vision 3D:Always great fun to watch whether your in Orlando or Anaheim.

Disney Animation:After visiting all three Disney Animation attractions at MGM DCA and WDS I have to say the DCA version is the best.The Walt Disney movie presented by Michael Eisner was fantastic.

Maliboomer:Not as exciting as over rides of this kind but was a nice thrill.

Californian Screamin:What a excellent coaster.And talk about smooth.My only complaint was lack of leg room which hurt my bad knee which I recently hurt .But the great CM's on hand moved me to my own seat where i could strech my leg onto the other seat.Anyway best coaster I have ever been on.But not recomended during when its raining trust me.

Golden Dreams:Yes its only a movie but a great movie at that with a super sound track just one dream.Whoopi did a good job as well as the god of California or whatever it was she was supposed to be.

Sourn' over California:Best attraction in the park unless you can't stand height's that is.

The Boudin Bakery:I actually enjoyed this and was highly amused by the two host.

Mission Tortilla Factory:It was Michael Eisner's idea to set up these micro factories because he was fasinated by them and so was I.Disney parks are not only a place full of rides but also a place where you can learn things.Im glad these two attractions are at DCA there are also a great place to shelter from in the heat and rain.

Grizzly River Run:Excellent attraction to go on if its hot.Theming is excellent and is the 3rd best attraction to see at DCA behind Sourin and Screamin.Would be even better with a Country Bear's makeover.(HINT HINT)

Its Tough To Be A Bug:Great fun.I love Flik's final coment,Now remember kids magnify-glass are for looking at not burning bugs with.

Hydroman
11-16-2002, 01:18 PM
I'll bet Malin appreciated the red-coated dancers of the Electrical Parade.....:D

TK DL
11-16-2002, 01:33 PM
:( I wish I could go do California Adventure. Last time I was at Disneyland, the new park was barley even done.

newhdplayer
11-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by malin
Hello everyone I have just got back from the Disneyland Resort(Full trip report to follow I promise)And while I have been to DL before I have never been to DCA and I have to say I like it a lot.Its not the worst Disney park ever built and if you want to criticise any park make it WDS in Paris.I perfer it to AK and MGM in Orlando to tell you the truth.Here are my thoughts on the attractions that I visited.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It:Great attraction that was a lot of fun to watch and join in with.

Muppet Vision 3D:Always great fun to watch whether your in Orlando or Anaheim.

Disney Animation:After visiting all three Disney Animation attractions at MGM DCA and WDS I have to say the DCA version is the best.The Walt Disney movie presented by Michael Eisner was fantastic.

Maliboomer:Not as exciting as over rides of this kind but was a nice thrill.

Californian Screamin:What a excellent coaster.And talk about smooth.My only complaint was lack of leg room which hurt my bad knee which I recently hurt .But the great CM's on hand moved me to my own seat where i could strech my leg onto the other seat.Anyway best coaster I have ever been on.But not recomended during when its raining trust me.

Golden Dreams:Yes its only a movie but a great movie at that with a super sound track just one dream.Whoopi did a good job as well as the god of California or whatever it was she was supposed to be.

Sourn' over California:Best attraction in the park unless you can't stand height's that is.

The Boudin Bakery:I actually enjoyed this and was highly amused by the two host.

Mission Tortilla Factory:It was Michael Eisner's idea to set up these micro factories because he was fasinated by them and so was I.Disney parks are not only a place full of rides but also a place where you can learn things.Im glad these two attractions are at DCA there are also a great place to shelter from in the heat and rain.

Grizzly River Run:Excellent attraction to go on if its hot.Theming is excellent and is the 3rd best attraction to see at DCA behind Sourin and Screamin.Would be even better with a Country Bear's makeover.(HINT HINT)

Its Tough To Be A Bug:Great fun.I love Flik's final coment,Now remember kids magnify-glass are for looking at not burning bugs with.

Obviously, you haven't read anyof the many other TR's here, because you must be deluded and suffering from jet-lag. DCA is bad...it was all Pressler's fault...they didn't spend enough money...micro factories are by definition not an attraction, and therefore not to be enjoyed or used as a learning experience...off the shelf rides are bad and should not be appreciated...there's not enough for kids to do...

Anyway, I'm glad you still enjoyed yourself, as I do every time I go with my 6-year old in tow.

Remember folks, it's just a theme park in training, and I can't wait until it grows up.

HBTiggerFan
11-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the synopsis of your trip report :) I am glad when I read that people who are not AP holders do enjoy DCA or parts of it.

And thanks for your honest, unbiased by other trip reports , non-jumping on the DCA is horrible bandwagon opinion about DCA. I like reading trip reports and I look forward to yours.

MonorailMan
11-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Let's pick that post apart:

Originally posted by newhdplayer
Obviously, you haven't read anyof the many other TR's here, because you must be deluded and suffering from jet-lag.
Let's see, I can think of 7 reports, (none my own) that have said that DCA is good, but needs work. (Just because it needs work, doesn't make it bad.

DCA is bad...it was all Pressler's fault...they didn't spend enough money
Ignoring that... too subjective of a statement.

...micro factories are by definition not an attraction

I beg your pardon!

Let's see, Webster's dictionary defines "Attraction" as:
1 a : the act, process, or power of attracting b : personal charm
2 : the action or power of drawing forth a response : an attractive quality
3 : a force acting mutually between particles of matter, tending to draw them together, and resisting their separation
4 : something that attracts or is intended to attract people by appealing to their desires and tastes <coming attractions>

Look at that! No where does it say it has to be a ride or a show! If the factories appeal to just 1 person's taste, then it's an attraction.

and therefore not to be enjoyed or used as a learning experience....
Look at it this way, California has a rich history, and why not show it to the guests in a fun way? I think Rosie & Colin make a great tour, and I have always heard people laugh, and enjoy themselfs.

off the shelf rides are bad and should not be appreciated
Think about it, all Disneyland rides are OTS too, just put to a theme. Therefore, let's tear out Dumbo, Space Mountain (After all, it's just a "Off The Shelf" coaster, put in a big room.),...

there's not enough for kids to do...

Really? What about Flick's Fun Fair?

As you can tell, I'm very mad. I should be quiet, before it bites back at me. :mad:

Kuzcotopia
11-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Uuuummm...

Monorail Man, newhdplayer was joking. When you were picking apart his post, did you read THIS part?

Anyway, I'm glad you still enjoyed yourself, as I do every time I go with my 6-year old in tow. Remember folks, it's just a theme park in training, and I can't wait until it grows up.

He LIKES DCA. Jeeez, there's enough snippyness around here already without snapping at people who agree with you!

You owe newhdplayer an apology.

Kevin Yee
11-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Think about it, all Disneyland rides are OTS too, just put to a theme. Therefore, let's tear out Dumbo, Space Mountain (After all, it's just a "Off The Shelf" coaster, put in a big room.),...

As the webmaster of the Space Mountain Homepage, I feel compelled to jump in here. Space Mountain broke new ground every bit as much as the Matterhorn did.

Some of you probably remember that the Matterhorn was the world's first steel tubular coaster. True.

But steel tubulars between Matterhorn (1959) and Space Mountain (1977) did not substantially evolve. You were looking at parallel tracks with the occasional support beam - kinda like what Mulholland Madness looks like today, though with a different layout.

Space Mountain had such tight turns at such speeds (for its day) that the chief engineer had to design something different. He came up with a feature that is now on all big steelies - the "V" design.

If you take a cross-section of track, it would look like a V (where the two tracks upon which you ride are at the top points of the V, and a long, thick tube running the length of the track is at the bottom of the V. Steel beams join the two tracks to the thick tube every so often).

Just go look at Viper, for example, and you'll see the V shape. Space Mtn had to be engineered from the ground up - it's not off the shelf at all.

Tigertail777
11-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Kevin what is the url for that space mountain homepage? I tried using a search engine for it, but can't find it. I would like to see it.
I have to agree, actually there is very little "off the shelf" stuff at Disneyland....even the caraousel is one of a kind, Really the only off the shelf thing IS dumbo. Pretty much everything else was designed from the ground up.
I feel currently DCA is a fairly lackluster park, it COULD grow into something better, but its taking its own sweet time about it. Disneyland on the other hand, didnt take long at all to grow, or correct any mistakes, or fix things. If you look at the releatively short time span of Disneyland opening, and Walt's passing away (1955-1963 I think) Disneyland had scads of new innovative magical stuff put in. I don't blame the park for being lackluster, nor its designers, I blame the people in charge of the purse strings for being stingy and not realizing you make what you put into a project. Its an old axiom: you have to spend money to make money.
I do think that MAYBE the california theme can work, if each land in the park is an immersive experience, but right now I view the theming on everything as half finished, especially on Paradise pier: if they are aiming for a 1920's seaside theme, then MAKE IT FULLY THAT THEME! That is the problem I have with DCA: it is too mixed up and doesn't have an exact discernable theme in each land that can be identified in all its details.

retlaw7
11-17-2002, 06:16 AM
Hello! I'm glad you enjoyed the Golden Dreams movie. I think they did a great job on it. I hope you looked real close to the scene in which the camera shows the inside of the steam locomotive cab as you can see me as the engineer in the shadow! Disney spent a little over a week here shooting those transcontinental railroad scenes. Nice Movie! Bill Durango, CO

Not Afraid
11-17-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Kevin what is the url for that space mountain homepage?

I did a Google search on Kevin Yee and found this. (http://www.mousepants.com/space/index.htm)

Kuzcotopia
11-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Dumbo isn't off the shelf anymore. The version designed in the eighties was created and patented by Disney, as was the Astro-Orbiter.

Kevin Yee
11-17-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I did a Google search on Kevin Yee and found this. (http://www.mousepants.com/space/index.htm)

Yup, that's the right URL. Yahoo categories has me, too.

Googling me is fraught with danger. You could end up learning about Kevin Yee the race car driver (not pro, I don't think) or Kevin Yee, the ballet dancer (who took kevinyee.com when I failed to renew it in time).

But wait, doesn't my sig include a working URL to the space mountain webpage?

newhdplayer
11-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey MM, I'd really hate to post something here that you disagree with.

Ouch.

Apparently, I have not yet earned my AA in sarcasm, since my first attempt to use it failed.

I will refrain from further attempts, until my skill-set is complete.

MonorailMan
11-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey MM, I'd really hate to post something here that you disagree with.

Ouch.

Apparently, I have not yet earned my AA in sarcasm, since my first attempt to use it failed.

I will refrain from further attempts, until my skill-set is complete.

I'm sorry Mr. Player, after dealing with the nasty public (boy did I have some doosies) all day, I snapped at the first post I saw.

If you would have stuck some ":rolleyes:" in there, It would have conveyed sarcasam better. :(

Tigertail777
11-17-2002, 08:39 PM
OOPS boy do I feel dumb! I didnt even see your tagline url d'oh! Yeah Iwas trying to use google to find yah too, and I found all that and more that you mentioned. Well anyways thanks :rolleyes: