PDA

View Full Version : Observations:Small World & Electrical Parade

Hydroman
11-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Two things that stood out in my trip to the Resort yesterday:

1. It seemed to me that the rumored proposal of "flooding" the Small World building would be very challenging. It appeared that many of the sets and/or props were below the waterline of the flume. So either the flume (and "floodwater" elevation) would have to be lowered or the props and sets raised. Either option will impact the sightlines of the attraction, and could necessitate significant changes. I question if the pay-off (increased rider interest) will be worth the Imagineering, construction, and down-time costs. I would rather they spend the money on animating (providing motion or animatronicizing) the unmoving animals (black panther, elk, Grand Canyon fauna, etc.) that you see from the train, or adding theming (like animatronics) to GRR.

2. It really bothered me that the high-stepping yankee-doodlesque dancers acompanying the "To Honor America" float at the end of the Electrical Parade were dressed in red coats. Why were blue coats not employed?

tabacco
11-16-2002, 10:22 AM
It's a british comspiracy! ;)

Hydroman
11-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Maybe that's why Disney should not have been trusted to do the America thing at Williamsburgh.....

JeffG
11-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Hydroman
2. It really bothered me that the high-stepping yankee-doodlesque dancers acompanying the "To Honor America" float at the end of the Electrical Parade were dressed in red coats. Why were blue coats not employed?

It isn't a Revolutionary War re-enactment.

The dancers are all dressed in red, white, and blue, which are the three colors of the American flag. They aren't meant to represent military uniforms.

Since the segment of the parade has nothing to do with the Revolutionary War (and since the British are hardly still an enemy...), I would imagine the costume designers selected how to apply the colors based primarily on aesthetic considerations.

-Jeff

Hydroman
11-17-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JeffG:

It isn't a Revolutionary War re-enactment.

The dancers are all dressed in red, white, and blue, which are the three colors of the American flag. They aren't meant to represent military uniforms.

Since the segment of the parade has nothing to do with the Revolutionary War (and since the British are hardly still an enemy...), I would imagine the costume designers selected how to apply the colors based primarily on aesthetic considerations.

I would accept your response except for the fact that they were wearing three-corner hats and Yankee-Doodle could be heard. It screamed "Revolutionary War" to me. If they were wearing Uncle-Sam type hats, I could buy your argument. I do agree that they probably were considering aesthetics, but at what cost? If the parade designers thought Alice would look better in a pink dress, would they make that change?

PS: Red, white, and blue are also the colors of the British flag.