PDA

View Full Version : Making Beautiful Music at the Park

Finklestein
11-14-2002, 11:03 PM
I posted this question a little while back, but no one was kind enough to give me their opinion. So, here goes again.....

I had not been to the park in quite a long time (before they began construction on DCA). When I went back recently, I noticed that the atmospheric talent (bands on the street, that type of thing) was sorey lacking, compared to what it used to be in the 80s and 90s. What are your thorughts?

Ghoulish Delight
11-15-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Finklestein
I posted this question a little while back, but no one was kind enough to give me their opinion. So, here goes again.....

I had not been to the park in quite a long time (before they began construction on DCA). When I went back recently, I noticed that the atmospheric talent (bands on the street, that type of thing) was sorey lacking, compared to what it used to be in the 80s and 90s. What are your thorughts? What's "recently?" During the summer, you get more. The marching band is out all morning. Most of the afternoon there's a small band on Main Street. There's a band in front of Cafe Orleans. And there's a band that plays in the eating area of the French Market. They tone it down come fall, though.

priyanka59
11-15-2002, 05:15 PM
If you go to Disneyland early in the morning, and stand outside with your tickets to get in, waiting for the gates to open, when Disneyland "officially opens" the Disneyland Band comes out. Usually you don't get to see them that often, but I saw them two mornings, so I suppose they do this every morning. They play to the Mickey Mouse Club or the "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" song. Also in New Orleans Square near Club 33 and in those back alleys, they sometimes have bands playing. Usually in the Christmas though, they cut down on the music and have Christmas stuff up and Christmas carols and stuff playing. I went during the summer, at the end of July so I haven't been there in quite some time.

socabch
11-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Since the discussion is about music in the park. What happened to the "garbage can guys"? They are pretty entertaining.

Also they have the Marching Band in front of the castle in the summer doing a competition type show.

tabacco
11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
I saw them on Monday, actually.

Bruce Bergman
11-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by socabch
Since the discussion is about music in the park. What happened to the "garbage can guys"? They are pretty entertaining.

The Trash Can Trio is often out doing the parade warm-up along the parade route, I usually hear them disturbing the peace at the second evening run of the parade. :p

Also they have the Marching Band in front of the castle in the summer doing a competition type show.

That's subject to having an invited band or two in the park. They'll invite in a local high-school or college band for the day and have them perform down the parade route before a parade, or have them do a concert at the Plaza Gardens stage. Search the net for "Magic Music Days" for more information.

--<< Bruce >>--

Ace
11-15-2002, 08:32 PM
those garbage can guys are funny.

Techie7
11-15-2002, 09:27 PM
Speaking of the trash can trio...
I wish I could have been around when they were looking for that new act at the parks. "We are looking for a new act that will keep people entertained. We want x amount of money to buy some new instruments and such"

"NO... We can only afford Trash Cans!"

(Actually I really enjoy the group. Always nice to see groups out an about. If you really want to see characters and street entertainment you should hit the park in the offseason when they have a majority of attractions closed like last year!)

Finklestein
11-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Y'all are killin' me with your trash can trio. I mean serious entertainment (yess, I know percussionists are real musicians...let's not get into that debate). What about the trumpeteers that used to play in Fantasyland, the saxes in Toontown, the brass and drum corps...

And, being a child of the 80s, I miss Transtar from T'land!!! The rock band on the rising stage... Am I the only one?

Sophie832
11-16-2002, 04:11 AM
Touchy, touchy...nevertheless, I will give my opinion to further the knowledge of other padders.

Fridays have always been good for Main Street Music. Everytime I've been there on a Friday afternoon, I've seen the Marching Band, Dapper Dans, garbage can guys, and the Firehouse Five! I don't know much about music in other lands, except New Orleans Square...that place is usually buzzing with some kind of jazz music or tap dancing or harmonizing.

Klutch
11-16-2002, 06:37 AM
Downtown Disney also has street musicians. I saw a very good violin player and a young Ska band called Suburban Legend when I was there one night in October. Both drew pretty large crowds and don't require admission.

The Barbershop Quartet still plays Main Street.

Popular music has changed much since the good old days when Annette would sing and Buddy Rich used to spank the plank at Disneyland. If Disney invited somebody really popular to play at the park, it would be pandamonium. Come to think of it, maybe that would be a good idea for DCA, as long as they could keep the stabbings and shootings to a mimimum... But then, I guess we found out how impractical that is with the "Summer Music Series". There's really no concert venue at DCA.

When I was a teen I saw Willy Ames' band play at the Tommorowland Stage (he was the kid who played Tommy on Eight is Enough). I thought they were pretty lame.

cstephens
11-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Finklestein
Y'all are killin' me with your trash can trio. I mean serious entertainment (yess, I know percussionists are real musicians...let's not get into that debate).

No, no debate, but I have to object to the comment. I don't follow the Trash Can Trio around anymore, but they are definitely "serious entertainment".

Originally posted by Klutch
I saw a very good violin player

That's Drew Tretick. He is amazing. We bought his CDs the other day, and I also bought a set for a friend at work who likes him. He's going to be playing at St. Mark's Square at the Venetian in Las Vegas from the end of November through the middle of December. We're considering making a trip out to see him (I think it would be absolutely amazing to listen to him in that square), but I'm not sure that's going to work out. Go to his official website (http://www.drewtretick.com/) for more information about him.

socabch
11-16-2002, 02:35 PM
a young Ska band called Suburban Legend when I was there one night in October.

I enjoy listening to them and watching the energy as people are danicing to their music. They will be there every weekend in November. If anyone's interested in hearing them, here's the schedule from Suburban Legends website.

Downtown Disney
November 1,2,3,8,9,10,15,16,17,22,23,24,29,30
6:00 PM
7:00 PM
8:00 PM
9:00 PM