PDA

View Full Version : French Market now no longer offers free refills

cstephens
09-29-2008, 04:44 AM
We had lunch at French Market yesterday, first time we've been since the refurb. They did change the layout of the inside a bit. When you get in line, the first thing you get to is where the trays are stacked. Silverware is available right after that. There's then a refrigerated case where pre-made garden salads are stored. I thought the previous salads had more tomatoes in them. These salads seemed very skimpy on the tomatoes. There's also a serving of the cajun chicken salad on display, and it's the only one of the dishes that you can see before you order something. I still liked it before when they had a serving of each dish out so you could see what you were getting before you ordered it - I think that helps. There's a CM after that whose sole purpose seems to be to make cajun chicken salad and give out dressing. It seemed awkward, and she seemed like she was out of place and had nothing to do. The next stations are the same, where you get the hot food if you're ordering that, and then the desserts follow that.

The biggest change is that the self-service fountains are no longer so. The fountains are now on the inside of the line, facing the CM, and CM is there to ask what you want. Because the fountains are no longer self-service, that means French Market no longer offers free refills. Yes, I asked, and the CM confirmed it. It looked like that CM's job was solely to fill drinks, a position they didn't have before, so now, they've got a previously-unneeded CM position just so people can't get free refills? All the condiments and other stuff (straws and napkins) are in that area as well, so the space right outside the exit (where all the condiments and silverware and such were kept) is all clear now, and all the previous holding bins are gone.

The husband really liked his cajun chicken salad - the dressing has quite an afterkick, and I liked my soup and salad, but I'm disappointed that French Market doesn't give free refills anymore. I don't get it that it's such an inconsistent policy that whether or not you get a free refill depends on where you buy your soda. I would get it if the distinction was only between table service and non-table service, but that's not the case. Or if it was just counter service (like the veranda) where you couldn't get free refills. But there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between getting food at French Market and getting food at Rancho or Plaza Inn or Pizza Port, all of which offer free refills. The only difference I can see is that at each of those places, the drinks are separate from where the food is and where the cashier is, so you can easily get a refill without cutting into a line. At French Market, since it's essentially one continuous line, you would have to wait until someone let you cut in to get your refill.

I suppose if I really wanted a refill and wanted French Market food, I could get food from there and then walk over to Rancho and buy my drink from there.

olegc
09-29-2008, 07:23 AM
But there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between getting food at French Market and getting food at Rancho or Plaza Inn or Pizza Port, all of which offer free refills. The only difference I can see is that at each of those places, the drinks are separate from where the food is and where the cashier is, so you can easily get a refill without cutting into a line. At French Market, since it's essentially one continuous line, you would have to wait until someone let you cut in to get your refill.

Ding Ding Ding! The way I see it - if the layout permits them to keep drinks away from refilling - they would do it. If they could get Pizza Port to be a line (which it almost is anyway) they would cut down on many refills - but it's so crazy... I also think after some time FM may have folks trying to jump because all they want is desert or drinks - and they will have to figure out a line change.

Don't table service restaurants offer free refills while you are dining?

Katlovett
09-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Don't table service restaurants offer free refills while you are dining?
The Carnation Cafe on Main Street did, when we had breakfast there last Sunday. My morning caffeine is in the form of diet Coke (rather than coffee like normal people), and I drank at least three or four glasses of it.

ScottC4746
09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
As I recall with French Market the layout is aukward anyway so this may be a traffic flow matter rather than a cash flow...althogh I am sure the latter has some play in it.
Last time I saw (Three weeks ago Saturday (9/6/08) Plaza Inn still had refills.

TTFN92
09-29-2008, 08:35 AM
You would think that the amount of money the are paying the CM would cover the cost of the refills, or pretty close. You would think that for $2.75 for a medium sized drink that you would already be paying for multiple refills anyway. I am sad about this place doing away with them because it is where I could get a refill on my mint julep. Please don't tell me they got rid of those. I would be so sad since the Mint Julep Bar is usually closed :(.

Flour Girl
09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Hmm. My manager (I work at the FM and have for a few years) told me that refills will be honored but only on request and only when the venue is not busy. Also in my time there we've always told guests to go ahead and skip the line if they only want desserts and/or drinks. I'll ask management about that.

Btw the mint julip is still available and now it's tweaked to match the version sold at the bar. AKA mint sprig, lemon, cherries etc.

AVP
09-29-2008, 05:12 PM
refills will be honored but only on request and only when the venue is not busy.I don't hold you at all responsible for making the policy, but can you understand why this non-policy would create confusion for guests?

Either I'm buying a drink w/refills, or I'm not. Either way, they should establish and communicate the policy consistently.

AVP

Flour Girl
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't hold you at all responsible for making the policy, but can you understand why this non-policy would create confusion for guests?

Either I'm buying a drink w/refills, or I'm not. Either way, they should establish and communicate the policy consistently.

AVP

Oh yes, I do understand. None of the market CM's are thrilled with it. I don't look forward to all of the 'but they gave refills earlier today!' complaints. It should be a clear-cut yes or no. Btw the manager in question also said that the no refill policy will eventually be implemented at all counter service locations that currently allow unlimited fountain drinks.

AVP
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Btw the manager in question also said that the no refill policy will eventually be implemented at all counter service locations that currently allow unlimited fountain drinks.Disney has traditionally distinguished between true "counter service" restaurants (Coke Corner, Bengal BBQ) and quick service restaurants like French Market and Plaza Inn. They've never officially allowed refills at the counter service locations (though I know exceptions exist), but I can't see how they will prevent it at locations like R2P2 and Zocalo where the soda fountains are so readily accessible. It sounds like they've done to French Market what they previously did to River Belle, and I know of more than a few people who avoid River Belle now because of the no refill policy.

AVP

TTFN92
09-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Btw the mint julip is still available and now it's tweaked to match the version sold at the bar. AKA mint sprig, lemon, cherries etc.

That is good because it does taste different. Thanx :D!

olegc
09-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Disney has traditionally distinguished between true "counter service" restaurants (Coke Corner, Bengal BBQ) and quick service restaurants like French Market and Plaza Inn. They've never officially allowed refills at the counter service locations (though I know exceptions exist), but I can't see how they will prevent it at locations like R2P2 and Zocalo where the soda fountains are so readily accessible. It sounds like they've done to French Market what they previously did to River Belle, and I know of more than a few people who avoid River Belle now because of the no refill policy.

AVP

I find it very interesting that the Foods department at DLR believes in "leaving a dollar to pick up a penny" i.e. - spend money to recongfigure restaurants and do away with refills (among other things) in order to lose less profit. It's another one of those squeeze the profit margin and show how we're saving money - when in fact in the long run you end up losing.

then again, if they eventually do away with refulls everywhere over a number of years - then where else will you go?

spectromen
09-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Wow, I guess I don't frequent FM enough to remember free refills, because the last time I was there, the fountain was turned towards the CMs and there were rows of each soft drink already filled and capped. It was a lousy system, since the Sprites that nobody wanted would sit there and start to sweat before anyone took them. But it was definitely a no refills type place then. This would've been, like, early 90s. So I guess at some point they turned the fountain towards the guests, but now it's reverted.

twindaddy
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Would someone mind be a doll and posting the places in DL that offer free refills? This is VERY important to me, and I will be planning eating spots for a group of around 10, so I need to know where to head...

To clarify, we will have 10 people that will be paying separately (well, about 3 separate groups), so I dont want a waiter type place.

I would like somewhere with decent food, free refills, and everyone can order, pay, receive food, sit down together (since many sit down places wont seat groups that big).

Suggestions?

Thank you!

ChurroGirl
10-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess I have never thought about it. We never do refills anyway. Its not something important to us. But I can see how it is for others. If they are going to get rid of all the free refills, I wonder how much it will be to get a refill on your drink.

cstephens
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
If they are going to get rid of all the free refills, I wonder how much it will be to get a refill on your drink.

It just means you would have to buy additional drinks at the same price. They don't have a souvenir soda cup like some other parks do, where a refill is given for a lesser price.

Bytebear
10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Would someone mind be a doll and posting the places in DL that offer free refills? This is VERY important to me, and I will be planning eating spots for a group of around 10, so I need to know where to head...

To clarify, we will have 10 people that will be paying separately (well, about 3 separate groups), so I dont want a waiter type place.

I would like somewhere with decent food, free refills, and everyone can order, pay, receive food, sit down together (since many sit down places wont seat groups that big).

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Off the top of my head:

Rancho del Zocholo (in Disneyland)
White Water Snacks (at the Grand Californian, just outside DCA near GRR)

I am sure there are more.

ChurroGirl
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
It just means you would have to buy additional drinks at the same price. They don't have a souvenir soda cup like some other parks do, where a refill is given for a lesser price.

See if they are going to have a no refills thing they should offer it at a lesser price even if it is not a special cup like other parks.

I would like to know just out of curiosity, WHY are they stopping the free refills? What has come about that they can no longer give them out?

charpaul
10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Disneyland free refills are at:
Zocalo, Plaza Inn, and Pizza Port for "quick service places"
Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou for a restaurant.

DCA free refills - Trattoria restaurant and Ariels Grotto.

White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian Hotel (pool side - close to the Hotel entrance into DCA) also has free drink refill.

Places that used to offered free drink refills until recently -
Riverbelle Terrace and French Market

Since I can still get a refill at some places - those are the ones that I will be going to for my meals. It is kind of a sore point with me - they charge the same at all places, yet SOME will allow refill and some do not.

cstephens
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Places that used to offered free drink refills until recently - Riverbelle Terrace and French Market

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I didn't think River Belle had been giving refills for some time now.

ChurroGirl
10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
The last time we ate at RBT was in 04' and they did not offer free refills then. Maybe it was the CM who was working at the time that allowed free refills but when we went 4 years ago this month actually, they did not offer them.