PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers in the garage

Pages : [1] 2

BJW
11-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Is it just me that this happened to this week? All 4 days that I went to the resort someone stopped me before getting to the escalator and tried to sell me a pass good for DCA. I guess the scalpers have figured out they get busted easily in the esplanade and have moved their operation to the garage. I wonder why it was only DCA the passes were good for? I don't know if I would consider this particularly annoying, but it does seem to lower the class of the resort, somewhat.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
11-12-2002, 10:48 PM
How would it lower the class?

Aren't scalpers everywhere for every concert, broadway show, laker game etc. ?

Nigel2
11-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Hmmm... must be from a promotion or something. Only problem is that they might not work.

cstephens
11-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Can't imagine why anyone would buy the ticket unless it was for some kind of significant discount since you can just buy the ticket at the ticket booth. Unlike for a concert or game, admission media for theme parks don't sell out.

Nigel2
11-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Hmmmm... military tickets? Or one of those ones where some orginization sells tickets at a cheaper rate and this guy buys a ton of them and tries to scalp them.

hefferdude
11-13-2002, 07:14 AM
Would be vvveeerrryyy wary of scalpers in the parking garages. Big time caveat emptor. Somehow it seems different than a concert or sports event. Spooky even.

Question: If a person purchases a scalped ticket with no receipt can they use it if they decide to upgrade - say to an AP?

I've heard its not illegal to re-sell a ticket at its face value.
But why is it legal to "auction" tickets for a much higher price than face value on Ebay?
( ...Angel fan who didn't get to go to the WS.:crying:

MouseWife
11-13-2002, 07:32 AM
I don't know if all of the tickets are now the same but the last ones I've had, to me, there were no way to know if they had been used or not.

This would make me very leery.

tod
11-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I don't know if all of the tickets are now the same but the last ones I've had, to me, there were no way to know if they had been used or not.

This would make me very leery.

Look for a very tiny hole in the middle of the bottom edge of the ticket, right under the Disneyland Resort logo. The Main Gate readers punch the hole in the tickets. Or at least they used to last year, before I got the AP.

--T

MouseWife
11-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Ah, thank you, tod. ;)

I will remember that!!!

Ghoulish Delight
11-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Plus, the computers should have a list of valid bar codes that it checks against. If it has already been used, the ticket should not be in that list. Of course, we all know from FP that that system is not necessarily fool proof.

I think selling tickets on Ebay is not illegal because you aren't cheating the venue out of anything. They got thier admission price. If they wanted to sell it for the inflated price, they could have. They are just happy that all their tickets sold at the price they set, so they don't care what happens to them afterwards. The only thing they do care about is counterfeit media since that would lead to capacity issues.

RStar
11-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Yes GD, that is the main difference. You can only sell tickets to an event for face value(or less) ON THE PROPERTY of the event. But you can sell it for whatever you can get for it OFF the property, although that is usually for sold out conserts. I don't think that applies to theme parks, ect. The main difference is that you will be compeating with the venue for the buisness that they have brought in there. So you can go across the street to scalp Disneyland tickets, but it would be harder to find your target audience because most of them drive in. And you'd then be selling on someone elses property, or public property and that has another set of complications.

EandCDad
11-13-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I think selling tickets on Ebay is not illegal because you aren't cheating the venue out of anything. They got thier admission price. If they wanted to sell it for the inflated price, they could have. They are just happy that all their tickets sold at the price they set, so they don't care what happens to them afterwards. The only thing they do care about is counterfeit media since that would lead to capacity issues.

As RStar mentioned, in California, you can't sell tickets on the event site for more than face value. However, in other states (like Pennsylvania) you are limited to the amount you can resell a ticket for ($5 above or 25% of the face value, whichever is greater). In those cases, an EBay auction would be illegal (if the state of Pennsylvania found out about it and wanted to go after the person selling the tickets). I guess the idea is artifically holding down ticket prices to benefit the consumer. That is, there would be no incentive to buy up extra tickets for resale if you could only make $5-10 on it.

The state to state regulations vary widely. However, sometimes the venues or performers put regulations on their tickets. For example, a New England Patriots fan had his season tickets revoked by the team after selling one game (for more than face value) on Ebay. Interestingly, the team was actually going out and BUYING the tickets on Ebay and then tracing them back to the owners.

tabacco
11-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Heh... we had a woman in Adventureland the other day stop us and ask if were APs or regular ticket holders. We decided to avoid mentioning that we were CMs, and told her we were ticket holders (which was partially true, as a couple of our group were). She asked if she could have one of our tickets because she wanted an AP and didn't want to pay full price. At that point, we revealed the fact that we were from Main Entrance and GR (and we fibbed a bit and suddenly my friend from DL W Attractions was from Security, because we were beaing mean-minded ;)). You should have seen the look on her face as she said "oh, never mind" and got as far away from us as she could :)

I really HATE people who try to run scams.

Ghoulish Delight
11-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
She asked if she could have one of our tickets because she wanted an AP and didn't want to pay full price. That's the point at which I say, "I'm a stock holder and I, as well as the thousands of people that make their living from this company, would appreciate it if you did not steal from us."

What I'm confused about is, if she was begging for a ticket, and wanted to buy an AP, how did she get in the park to begin with? Wouldn't she already have a ticket?

DJ_MENTOS
11-13-2002, 11:06 AM

What I'm confused about is, if she was begging for a ticket, and wanted to buy an AP, how did she get in the park to begin with? Wouldn't she already have a ticket?

Maybe she jumped the fence?:p

DJ_MENTOS

tabacco
11-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Now that you mention it, that's a good question. Perhaps she wanted to get one for her husband or one of her kids or something. She did have a stroller with her.

hefferdude
11-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Maybe she wanted an extra ticket to double up on FP's?

Ace
11-13-2002, 11:46 AM
You guys need to have more fun. We have vending machines at my school, and most things cost 75 cents. Most people usually pay with a dollar and get a quarter back. This has caught the attention of the entrepreneurs on campus, who stand next to it asking if they can "Get your quarter," without ever having spoken to you before or even saying please. I usually ask them a question like "What is Mark Twain's real name?" or say something like, "Ya know, I would, but I need it for heroin. Sorry." (which is, of course, not true. hugs not drugs, kiddies.)

MammaSilva
11-13-2002, 12:05 PM
well that has to be one of the most 'brazen' things I've heard yet but my only thought was maybe she was a single day ticket holder and was "hopeful" she would find someone with a flex pass worth more than just the regular single ticket....but it still just boggles my mind how someone would have the nerve to walk up and ask for your ticket so she could save money?

Ghoulish Delight
11-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
You guys need to have more fun. We have vending machines at my school, and most things cost 75 cents. Most people usually pay with a dollar and get a quarter back. This has caught the attention of the entrepreneurs on campus, who stand next to it asking if they can "Get your quarter," without ever having spoken to you before or even saying please. I usually ask them a question like "What is Mark Twain's real name?" or say something like, "Ya know, I would, but I need it for heroin. Sorry." (which is, of course, not true. hugs not drugs, kiddies.) Umm, there is a huge difference. If you want to go ahead and hand over your quarter, that's your business. You aren't cheating the school (via the vending machine) out of anything. That's not what this lady was asking for. She was trying to get a $45 "discount" on an AP by using someone else's ticket. That, by my count, is tantamount to stealing. The "upgrade a day pass to an AP" is not supposed to be a discount coupon. It is simply their (generous) way of being sure you only pay the face value of an AP, taking into account the fact that you've already paid $45. By taking another person's ticket media, she's trying to cheat them out of the $45 she never paid.

RStar
11-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Shesh! I would have said no, then followed her around until I could alert security. They could have followed her through with the dirty deed and then arrested her for stealing (which it is). That kind of thing ticks me off! It's not only hurting the company (and it's well being, which affects it's employees) but it ruins the "show" at the park. I mean come on, do you think people want to deal with pan handlers at the Happiest Place on Earth?:mad:

tabacco
11-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Shesh! I would have said no, then followed her around until I could alert security. They could have followed her through with the dirty deed and then arrested her for stealing (which it is). That kind of thing ticks me off! It's not only hurting the company (and it's well being, which affects it's employees) but it ruins the "show" at the park. I mean come on, do you think people want to deal with pan handlers at the Happiest Place on Earth?:mad:

Yeah, and if I weren't with non-CM friends I probably would have, but even so it was really funny to see her face when she found herself faced with off-duty CMs from the departments most likely to object to what she was doing ;)

MonorailMan
11-13-2002, 03:17 PM
When ever I see/hear a scapler, I tell sucurity about it. I would hate to have a one time DL vistor get taken for.

The P.O.P.
11-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
Maybe she jumped the fence?:p

DJ_MENTOS

Or ducked under the turnstyle!! I think I heard someone did that back in the 80's - just a rumor!

cstephens
11-13-2002, 05:21 PM

That was my first thought as well, but maybe she had a comp ticket of some sort.