PDA

View Full Version : Tram incident on 9/19

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mosthated
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Around 9:05 me and my family boarded the Mickey and Friends tram on our way home. As the tram departed my daughter noticed that the tram driver was driving a bit fast. As we came to the first turn iI noticed a lot of screaming. All the tram cars literally went up on there sides almost causes the tram to tip. We were sitted in the last car. I was sitting on the outside and had use my foot to keep myself from falling out. After we got the tram driver to stop and everyone calmed down we proceeded to the parking lot. But to my suprises he began speeding again. So after it comes to to the disembark area a lot of us went to confront the driver to see why he was driving in that manner. And he became all defensive. So may wife stop one of the castmembers and demanded to speak to a manger or supervisor. After waiting over 30 minutes someone finally showed up. There were only about 15 of us that where on the tram that stayed to complain. They took everyone's info down, apologize and said someone would contact us in a couple of days. So after 4 days of no response I emailed them about what happen. And still have not heard anything yet. I feel that a lot of people could have been seriously hurt that night snd you can't call these people to check on them. My wife is 7 months pregnant and has been having back pain since this incident. I even missed a couple days of work because of pain in my leg. My family and I have been passholders for over 4 years and never experienced anything like this. So if any one has any numbers of people I should contact it would be greatly appreciated.

houseofmouse
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow, that is really scary! Usually you crawl in those trams slower than a snail. All the time the tram CM in the back saying stay seated...ect.

I would call Disneyland directly and ask who you can speak with. Did you get any info from anyone else who stayed to complain? Did you get the CM's name that was driving and the name of the CM who took all your info? I am not sure email is the way to go as the person who gets it may not know what to do with it. Good luck.

Andrew
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Mailing addresses and contact information for the Resort is here (https://secure-disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage). Be sure to follow up here so we can know what they say!

dlfansx4
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow! I think we had the same driver on 09/21 on the way into the park :( We noticed that he took the corner really close and I could tell he was driving a lot faster than usual. Scary that after your close call, the tram will still being driven that way.

GORGON
09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Did you see his Name Tag? I would like to know in case i get him when i go.

mosthated
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Yes. It was Jamal.

mosthated
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I just received a call from the Disneyland Guest Claims Office and the gentleman I spoke to was very nice. He apologize for the delay and wanted to hear our story again. He also stated that from our story and that of others that night, it seems that it was not a tram malfunction. More of a driver problem. He said that upper management was taking care of the situation and feels that my family and I should be compensated. Problem is that I don't know what to ask for. Any ideas?

Andrew
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Anything you accept will come with a requirement to sign a waiver for any further damages. You mentioned possible medical issues; I suggest you carefully consider whether you should accept any compensation, or at least get a legal opinion.

Pr1ncess365
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, if you and your wife are in pain, they should pay to see the doctor # 1
Then I would ask for a complimentary parking permit added to your annual pass.
I think that's fair since they it would mean you would be coming back to the resort.
If they offer more than that then it's gravy.

Malcon10t
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
He said that upper management was taking care of the situation and feels that my family and I should be compensated. Problem is that I don't know what to ask for. Any ideas?I agree with Andrew. If there is any question of medical bills, you need to see a doctor, get this documented, and don't accept any compensation until this is completed.

cstephens
09-26-2008, 09:21 PM
He said that upper management was taking care of the situation and feels that my family and I should be compensated. Problem is that I don't know what to ask for. Any ideas?

He didn't offer something specific and just left it open ended? That surprises me.

Anything you accept will come with a requirement to sign a waiver for any further damages.

I expect there will also be a confidentiality clause.

olegc
09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I just received a call from the Disneyland Guest Claims Office and the gentleman I spoke to was very nice. He apologize for the delay and wanted to hear our story again. He also stated that from our story and that of others that night, it seems that it was not a tram malfunction. More of a driver problem. He said that upper management was taking care of the situation and feels that my family and I should be compensated. Problem is that I don't know what to ask for. Any ideas?

Um - maybe now is a time to contact an attorney? I would

mosthated
09-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah he just left the compensation deal up to me and my family. But we have a good family friend that's an attorney. I'm going to give him a call before I call Disney back on monday.

ScottC4746
09-27-2008, 05:19 AM
If your friend agrees to take this on, you don't do the calling you have your friend call. If Disney calls you back, advise them to speak to your attorney at...what ever the phone number is.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Cathy at the Park
09-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't want to think the worst of people but...Last night when I was at the Park I was thinking about the thread and realized that someone, anyone, with just the information given in this thread could make a resonable sounding claim to having been actually involved and needing a settlement from Disney.

Everyone who has read this knows:
the date
the time
the particulars of what happened
the CM's name
and the fact that calling Disney with that information could lead to 'compensation'

It makes me a little uncomfortable, but I don't know what to do about it. 

Maybe the OP should return to his posts and obscure the data a bit?Again, I don't know, but there are a lot of rats out there that would be happy to run with this information to try to get something, anything, from Disney.

Cathy

MammaSilva
09-27-2008, 08:28 AM
While I can see your point, there are a couple things...first, there is a 30 minute window in which you can edit a post, after that the only ones with the power are the mods and they RARELY...I won't say never because if there is a risk to someone thru anther's post they have been known to make the exception and edit a members post...but they rarely will edit a members content.

Second, while there is a significant amount of information there, a person trying to file a false claim would have to have a lot of extra stuff, proof they had been to the resort, I won't say into a park because there's other options, a parking receipt showing they were on property...there are a lot of safeguards to keep the slime from benefiting from this.

janell
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Im sorry for what happened. I hope you and your wife are feeling better.

've noticed over the last year or so that some of the tram drivers do take corners more quickly then others and some drive faster then others. Enought to where Im thinking at the time, they should slow down. We are in open cars, no seat belts and this speed doesn't feel safe to me. Its gotten to the point where Ive thought about walking and skipping the tram.

Hope everything works out. Thanks for posting.

adriennek
09-27-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't want to think the worst of people but...Last night when I was at the Park I was thinking about the thread and realized that someone, anyone, with just the information given in this thread could make a resonable sounding claim to having been actually involved and needing a settlement from Disney.

Except for this part:

So may wife stop one of the castmembers and demanded to speak to a manger or supervisor. After waiting over 30 minutes someone finally showed up. There were only about 15 of us that where on the tram that stayed to complain. They took everyone's info down, apologize and said someone would contact us in a couple of days.

Disney isn't just handing something out. They have an established history with this family and this incident.

Adrienne

Cathy at the Park
09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Thank you Adrienne, that does make worry a bit less. 

But I am pretty sure that if someone were to call Disney and state the particulars, as found here, and say that at the time they thought they were okay, but now they are having back pain, blurred vision, fear of trams, Disney would have to take them seriously.

But I will try and not worry about it too much.:)

Sometimes it is hard for me to override my worry wart nature.

Cathy

adriennek
09-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Disney has a legal team that deals with this kind of stuff alllll the time. I'm sure they have plenty of procedures in place for people who call up looking for handouts.

Not to make you worry more, lol, but - you would not believe the people who have their hands out. It's more than just the people who are looking for ways to take a 3-y/o without paying or a 11-y/o on a kid ticket. *I* get e-mails at MousePlanet asking for ways to get freebies out of the Mouse - not just "discounts", I'm talking sob stories from people with all sorts of entitlement going on.

My point is that this is NOTHING new for Disney to deal with and they've set up some pretty strong legal teams to deal with it.

Adrienne

Cathy at the Park
09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Okay, I am putting on my mittens to try and slow down my hand wringing.

But are you sure Disney doesn't need me to look out for them.:rolleyes:??

Thanks again, Cathy

mosthated
09-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Me and my wife both told the gentleman that we were glad that no one was injured that night. We did not file the complaint to reap any benefits off it. Just so they knew what happen to us and to make sure it never happens again. But he keep saying my family was intitled to some type of compensation.

cstephens
09-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Me and my wife both told the gentleman that we were glad that no one was injured that night. We did not file the complaint to reap any benefits off it. Just so they knew what happen to us and to make sure it never happens again. But he keep saying my family was intitled to some type of compensation.

In your position, I'm not sure what I'd be asking for by way of additional compensation. I'd have to think about whether or not I felt entitled to that - you and I are on the same boat as far as not using this situation to milk Disney out of something. But you *definitely* are entitled to any payments for medical issues or anything that happened or that you had to deal with as a direct result of what happened. That's not asking for too much.

danyoung
09-27-2008, 11:15 AM
He didn't offer something specific and just left it open ended? That surprises me.

This is exactly the way a big company would do it. I had an incident a couple years ago where I was injured by fireworks in Epcot, and had to do the compensation dance. I wasn't about to sue, and I thought Disney was entirely fair in the discussion. I listed a number that I thought was fair for the low level of my injury, and they agreed. I most likely could have gotten thousands more, but I didn't feel the need to be greedy.

An open ended request like this from Disney means that they're hoping the family might just want a few hundred bucks for their inconvenience. If there were actual injuries involved and the legal folks move in, that number could go up into many thousands. It's to Disney's benefit to dangle a carrot like that in the hopes that the injured party would quote a low number, which they'd happily pay and then be done with it.

adriennek
09-27-2008, 11:20 AM
In your position, I'm not sure what I'd be asking for by way of additional compensation. I'd have to think about whether or not I felt entitled to that - you and I are on the same boat as far as not using this situation to milk Disney out of something. But you *definitely* are entitled to any payments for medical issues or anything that happened or that you had to deal with as a direct result of what happened. That's not asking for too much.

I agree with cstephens and danyoung. This case isn't about feeling entitled but being entitled. If you are hurt, absolutely see a doctor now. Don't let something fester. My husband has an injury that he sustained years ago and didn't properly heal. I've known him 20+ years and he was hurt before I ever met him. Just last night he was looking at his ankle saying "Does it look still swollen to you from that thing I did weeks ago?"

Make sure you're ok because you do deserve to be taken care of!

Adrienne