PDA

View Full Version : Why no more climbing?

Ghoulish Delight
11-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Bill Catherall mentioned Snopes.com's (http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/matterho.asp) article about the Matterhorn's basketball court. In it, it mentioned something that I had nearly completely forgotten about, but once I saw it I remembered clear as day. What happened to the guys who used to climb the Matterhorn? They used to every once in a while, send a guy scaling up the side of the Horn, in full view of guests, just to entertain us. It was great, I loved watching him. I haven't seen it in years! Did they oficially pull the plug on this? And why?

Not Afraid
11-12-2002, 09:20 AM
BTW - their character names were Hans and Otto. They were my counterpart to my Dad's mermaid admiration.:D

Bill Catherall
11-12-2002, 10:06 AM
A couple years ago I saw Mickey and Goofy scaling the mountain. By the time I got there Goofy was up at the top celebrating and Mickey was about half-way up. Goofy was also cheering Mickey along. (I looked closely at Mickey's feet and they weren't as big as they usually are. ;) )

Are they still doing the character climbings?

RStar
11-12-2002, 12:01 PM
I bet they come back after the work is done on it. They may have susspended it because of all the rot- it may have been usafe. We will see if the budget is there to bring it back........

Pony Sugrue
11-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RStar
We will see if the budget is there to bring it back........

That's been pretty much it... "the budget". They don't want to hire folks to climb the thing because they're too expensive. They haven't climbed the 'horn' in years now. I think they may have problems because of the potential danger to the climbers... i.e.: the insurance is too expensive or something.

I heard the same type of thing is why the sky buckets went away. When they see something broken or problematic, they don't fix it, they just leave voids there just like most of Tomorrowland... like some old crummy closed down 70's mall or something.

AND you know, come to think of it, I haven't seen Tinkerbell "fly" at all in the past years over the castle, unless my eyesight is bad or something.

refurbmike
11-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Tinkeybell was flying for Believe!, unless wind conditions wouldn't allow, until the show was put on hold till next year when it re-starts.

Ghoulish Delight
11-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue

AND you know, come to think of it, I haven't seen Tinkerbell "fly" at all in the past years over the castle, unless my eyesight is bad or something. Which are you talking about, the ball of light just before Believe!, or the live actress on the zip wire at the end? Both are still there, when running the Believe! (as opposed to Holiday Magic).

Pony Sugrue
11-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Wow, I didn't know Tink was still flying. Maybe I haven't been in the right place at the right time.

I need to stand over there near the front of Casey Jr and look back over PINOCCHIO'S restaurant to watch her land in that towering Bavarian deer-stand thingy. Either that or time my riding of BIG THUNDER to see an even more close-up view of her landing in that tower. Just look to your right when you go clanking up the hill next to the turtles and rattle snakes on your left... you'll see that tower.

cstephens
11-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Watching the climbers was one of my favorite things. Now I can't remember - was it Goofy climbing or was it Mickey climbing? Whichever one, a bunch of us used to hang out by where Ariel's Grotto/meet-and-greet is now to watch the Hercules parade, and the climbers would be on the Matterhorn shortly before the parade, so we had a great view there. A certain person in the group who now posts to MP used to always make comments about said character falling off the mountain...

Actually, the climbing thing was actually the only reason why I at one point while standing right next to Storybook could swear I could see Mickey in two different places at the same time...

Not Afraid
11-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Watching the climbers was one of my favorite things. Now I can't remember - was it Goofy climbing or was it Mickey climbing?

They must have switched to doing the "character climbs" when I was doing my "tired of DL" thing. (I took a break when things started going badly downhill) I only remember Hans and Otto, my heros. I wish they'd bring them back. I only have sad little photographs to keep me yearning.:(

RStar
11-12-2002, 04:37 PM
It's been a while, but I recall the story went something like Mickey and Goofy were going to have a picknick at the top of the Matterhorn and goofy was on top, helping Mickey get up there. Then Goofy ate all the sandwiches while waiting. I have a feeling Hans and Oto were in the suits;) ......