PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent ebay posting!

Pages : [1] 2

cookie7762
09-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Someone is selling the "link" to get your free bday admission from disneyland!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190254307257

They are charging people $2.2 for something that is offered and advertised very openly! Just made me mad is all...

cookie7762
09-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Here is another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-Ticket-on-Your-Birthday-or-SPENDING-MONEY_W0QQitemZ360091530780QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m360091530780&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Isn't this wrong, or am I over-reacting?

pixar
09-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure it's considered fraud, and after seeing so many similar auction types, I don't find it surprising someone's trying to take advantage of a clueless bidder. If only bidders would take a couple of minutes to look into what they're buying, we wouldn't see these types of auctions anymore.

Second Star
09-24-2008, 08:11 AM

Ebay has taken this link down. Let's hope they do the same, soon, for the other one.

Unfortunately, I fear we will always have con artists among us. :mad:

mycutekitties
09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
WOW! That's crazy!

houseofmouse
09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
It is fraud and deceit. I sell on ebay and reported the second one. Hopefully it will be gone. I am sure most people are not that clueless but it can happen.

Drince88
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
How is it fraud? Unethical, deceitful, wrong, slimy, underhanded I get - but not so sure about fraud.

houseofmouse
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
fraud |frôd|
noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain : he was convicted of fraud | prosecutions for social security frauds.
• a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities : mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds.

Are they not doing this? Deceiving others and trying to get financial gain?
:)

Drince88
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't see where the deceipt is - they say they're selling a link to a site that will give them information. The fact that it's the Disney site that anyone can get to makes it underhanded and slimy, but they haven't said it's a 'private' site or 'you can only get to it by paying me money' which WOULD be fraud, IMHNALO*

*In my humble not a lawyer opinion:D

houseofmouse
09-24-2008, 10:03 AM
ok. :) IMHO it is wrong and should be taken off regardless of what we call it. It just goes to show there are slimy people out there willing to do anything to make a buck. Sad.

Second Star
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Cathy is correct. In strict intepretation this is not fraud.

I did not see the first posting on eBay, it was gone before I hit the link. But, the second is still available, and I suspect it is still there because it is not fraudlent.

The poster is offering the send you the link to the Disney site for more information, actually nothing more than offering a service. If he/she was trying to make you believe that you couldn't get this information on your own, that would be fraud, but, if a bidder want to pay for this service that's up to him or her.

A vast number of con artists operate just inside the limits of the law looking for the easy buck, this appears to be one of those individuals.

Just my 2 cents.

ScottC4746
09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Someone is selling the "link" to get your free bday admission from disneyland!

They are charging people $2.2 for something that is offered and advertised very openly! Just made me mad is all...
This ebay posting has been deleted.

pixar
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
How is it fraud? Unethical, deceitful, wrong, slimy, underhanded I get - but not so sure about fraud.

I don't see where the deceipt is

Hey you said it was deceitful and then you don't. You sound like a politician. :D :p

candles71
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
If you look at the second one at least you get the idea that you could find this info/site yourself and the info looks an awful like they copy and pasted the info from the disneyland site.(which would probably be a copyright violation as their websites are copyrighted) The first one really implied this was the only way to get the link and really didn't explain the promo at all. but the second is twice the price of the first and is a bid type sale where the first was a buy now/set price kind of thing.

Drince88
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey you said it was deceitful and then you don't. You sound like a politician. :D :p

oops... <blush>

And I agree about the Disney copyrighted stuff. I mean how many of us put (R) behind the use of the word Disney?

AnotherJenny
09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Ebay does have a policy against "information only" listings. You can report it at the bottom (if you have an ebay account).

houseofmouse
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
FYI- the second post is now gone too! Yippee! :) So whatever policy they chose to shut it down, was valid. I did not see the report an information only tab but saw the report a fraud listing.:)

I'm sorry I just really felt strongly that it was wrong.

sandiegorob
09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't understand, what is wrong with trying to be a capatlist ;)

Tan Da Man
09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
these types of ebay postings are all over..not just for Disneyland...I was looking for tickets to a concert and they had them on there for $5 "Kanye West Tickets!!!!" then you click on it...shows pictures of tickets then at the bottom..."Buy this to learn how to buy concert tickets"..people are ridiculous lol

cookie7762
09-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I had already reported the first one before I posted the link for you all. Thats why it didnt work. Its was almost identical to the 2nd posting that some of you saw, only cheaper. I was at work and ran out of time, otherwise I would have reported the 2nd one too.

I get the "strict interpretation" isn't fraud, but i'm glad that ebay found it deceitful enough to remove it.

Drince88
09-25-2008, 07:05 AM
I get the "strict interpretation" isn't fraud, but i'm glad that ebay found it deceitful enough to remove it.
I'm with you on that one! I wonder if it was a copyright violation, since so much of the text was verbatim from Disney? The technicalities will get you every time! (Didn't Al Capone get jailed for tax stuff, not any of his 'gangster' alleged actions?)

Second Star
09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm with you on that one! I wonder if it was a copyright violation, since so much of the text was verbatim from Disney? The technicalities will get you every time! (Didn't Al Capone get jailed for tax stuff, not any of his 'gangster' alleged actions?)

I didn't think about it from the copyright point, but you are right. If they had unlicensed Disney copyrighted material (and they probably did), that would be a reason to remove the item. And yes, I agree this is sleezy activity, but we have much that goes on which is sleezy these days and people get away with it because it not illegal. Just look a Wall Street. :mad:

Oh and yes, Al Capone went to jail for tax evasion. It was the only the Feds could make stick.

lofosho
09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
The links are both dead. Someone mind explaining what this is about?

CV12Pirate
09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
It was a new version of an old scam. They posted to sell you information on how to get free birthday entry into DL. What they were selling was the link to the Disney website.

Just like the old day's when people would run an ad in the back of a magazine telling you how to become a millionare by sending one doller in a SASE to the address provided. The information they would send you is telling you to run an ad in the back of a magazine asking for a dollar in a SASE so you could tell someone how to become a millionare.

Sandy Beaches!

lofosho
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Disneyland is free on your birthday?