PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion reopens at Disneyland with "Nightmare" theme

Pages : [1] 2 3

bradymacdonald
09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is expected to "soft open" on Wednesday, September 24, 2008, with the now-traditional Halloween/Christmas holiday overlay.

- Brady MacDonald, Los Angeles Times theme park blogger

Bytebear
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
How did that doombuggy get turned around like that?

jenniebean
09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
the ghosts did it, duh.

tinker3
09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah! We leave for DL tomorrow morning, maybe it will be open. I won't tell the boys, they think it will be closed till Friday ;) A nice surprise.

mikotorocks714
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I was working on Mansion Tuesday morning cleaning it along with the rest of my 3rd shift buddies trying our best to get it clean in time for its opening. We dusted and everything, as well as wipe down all of the doombuggies which I might add brought back the old aroma of vomit. Mmm, but I have to say that it all looks the same to me. I didn't see anything new.

foolishmortal
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I was working on Mansion Tuesday morning cleaning it along with the rest of my 3rd shift buddies trying our best to get it clean in time for its opening. We dusted and everything, as well as wipe down all of the doombuggies which I might add brought back the old aroma of vomit. Mmm, but I have to say that it all looks the same to me. I didn't see anything new.

Ok.... Cool you dusted the dust!:p;) and Ewwwwwwwwww and darn I was hopeing for something "new" this year!

Is there any "new" menu for HMH at FM yet????? I loved Zero's bowl of bones!! and Sally's scared chicken ....yummmm!;)

mikotorocks714
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Believe it or not, there isn't supposed to be dust as a prop on the ride. I guess the rumors or what was believed to be true is not true. Dust be gone! We did however have fun talking about the times the ashes in the attic were sucked up in the vacuum. Well, I wasn't there when it happened but my lead told me. But yeah, there isn't supposed to be any dust. Just cobwebs.

ScottC4746
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
How did that doombuggy get turned around like that?
That is the area heading into the graveyard where the doombuggies are still going backwards I believe.

yohomama212
09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it took me a couple minutes but I thought about it and tried to frame it in my head. I think it's a legitimately possible shot, not easy and I wouldn't be surprised if the doombuggy had stopped at that point, but it can be done.

Elizabeth

mikotorocks714
09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
A little trivia for you guys. Right before you enter the attic scene there is a mechanics room to your left. Part of the floor lowers for fixing the buggies. A platform basically. And isn't it weird to know that in that room there is a mechanics room with tools and mechanics just having an ordinary day while a bunch of guests go through oblivious to that fact? And that in the control room you can SEE EVERYTHING inside a buggie even when the show lights are on? That's right, you can see every detail when couples makeout on that ride ha, ha. Every ride has a mechanics room. The mechanics room for Indy is right on the side of the mirrors right before entering the chamber. Oh, and there is only one track obviously, there are no other chambers. Just the sign that has the name of the chambers changes. But it's the same track/ride.

Tinker Bell
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Where that shot was taking you are no longer backwards. Could not find a shot of jack from the buggy but you fave the grave yard when the buggy is next to jack.

tinker3
09-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I didn't see anything new.

I thought the centerpiece on the table in the ballroom changes every year. Last year was a gingerbread house with springy Jack's popping out.

jenniebean
09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
The mechanics room for Indy is right on the side of the mirrors right before entering the chamber. Oh, and there is only one track obviously, there are no other chambers. Just the sign that has the name of the chambers changes. But it's the same track/ride.

I'm pretty sure that part belongs in a spoiler for the people who would rather enjoy the illusion ;) but that did take me like, months to figure out, haha.

mikotorocks714
09-24-2008, 02:28 AM
It's not a spoiler, as it has even been announced even on the news on a Disneyland after dark segment.

yohomama212
09-24-2008, 01:12 PM
We rode first thing this morning, the plan was to run up there to get FPs for our group so we could hop in line when we got there later this evening. Since it's a soft opening, the FP machines aren't open. DD wanted to ride and since there didn't appear to be much of a line, we went in. Well, we were wrong, there was no line! We were the first guests on the ride this year! The CMs got excited with my 3yo and when the lead came up he had her help him open the ride by yelling "Jack"! She loved it!

The banquet hall has been changed and OMG it's awesome! So much cooler than last year's, IMO! Even DD gasped when she saw it! We're going back with the whole group tonight and I can't wait to see and hear everyone's reactions.

I miss the hatbox ghost!

Elizabeth

olegc
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I rode around 10:30am

- gift boxes seem brighter this year. ribbons too
- more snow on singing pumpkin busts
- music track was very loud compared to the audio storytelling. hard to hear BUT the music sounded GREAT
- and finally - as stated above the ballroom's addition for this year (an annual change) is FANTASTIC! it....

a gingerbread coffin that opens and displays a dead gingerbread man (x's on the eyes) who rises up halfway out - then goes back down, and the lid closes. There are also gingerbread ghouls all around the casket. Awesome! and it's all real gingerbread.

Enjoy

yohomama212
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
when the coffin is closed, it looks like a house... we saw it closed first and weren't all that impressed, then it opened....WOW! Love the place settings too, wonder where I can get me some dishes like that?

Elizabeth

Andrew
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
We'll ride it on Oct 4th. I can't wait!

/avoiding spoilers

olegc
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
when the coffin is closed, it looks like a house... we saw it closed first and weren't all that impressed, then it opened....WOW! Love the place settings too, wonder where I can get me some dishes like that?

Elizabeth

hmmm - I missed that...

Drince88
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
hmmm - I missed that...

Guess you'll just have to go again!!!

olegc
09-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Guess you'll just have to go again!!!

yeah - more times than I can count now through the holidays..

foolishmortal
09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I can't wait!!! That is soo cool YoHO to be the first on the ride and to open it!!! My Dl trip can't come fast enough!

Autopia Guy
09-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Elizabeth

And from what I saw of it today, it was not just any house... Looked an awful lot like a certain Haunted Mansion if Im not mistaken...

jenniebean
09-25-2008, 01:37 AM
We rode first thing this morning, the plan was to run up there to get FPs for our group so we could hop in line when we got there later this evening. Since it's a soft opening, the FP machines aren't open. DD wanted to ride and since there didn't appear to be much of a line, we went in. Well, we were wrong, there was no line! We were the first guests on the ride this year! The CMs got excited with my 3yo and when the lead came up he had her help him open the ride by yelling "Jack"! She loved it!

I rode around 10:30am

Verrrrry jealous! How long do soft openings usually go? Like, think it'll still be open next Tuesday? I think that if I read three chapter of psych, I deserve a little trip 'round the mansion.

& yohomomma, that story is SO CUTE! It's such a unique ride, since it's seasonal, & to be the first one on? A story to tell every year (or every time!) you're in line! Such an example of why Disneyland is such a happy place.

olegc
09-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Verrrrry jealous! How long do soft openings usually go? Like, think it'll still be open next Tuesday? I think that if I read three chapter of psych, I deserve a little trip 'round the mansion.

& yohomomma, that story is SO CUTE! It's such a unique ride, since it's seasonal, & to be the first one on? A story to tell every year (or every time!) you're in line! Such an example of why Disneyland is such a happy place.

by next tuesday it will be officially open to the public. HalloweenTime at the resort officially starts Friday, Sep 26th.