PDA

View Full Version : 50th anniversary thoughts

The Great Dunn
11-11-2002, 06:52 PM
I just finished reading Al's update, and it worries me that Disneyland might not be getting the treatment that it so richly deserves for its 50th.
This is suppose to be a 50th anniversary party for the amusement park that started it all, the park that Uncle Walt built! What incentive is there if the only thing there going to do is rebuild Space Mountain, thats good for maybe 2 visit's at the most for most visitors. Now I,ve ridden the Paris Space Mountain and was completely blown away, if they build the same sort of setup here in California, complete with the rocket launch, I'd definitely be all for that.
The rumors flying around about Haunted Mansion, and Pirates are great ideas, and perish the thought, good tie-ins to the movies coming out soon. It would be so excited to see a pirate ship battle a spanish armada ship, with the guests dodging the cannonball's underneath. But would they have an audioanimatronic Johnny Depp?, or better yet, an audioanimatronic Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion?(that's a joke)
The Electric Light Parade, without any doubt, should make a return to Main Street for the extent of the celebration, then, if it has to, return to its banishment over in DCA.
Small World already has it's white and gold paint job, are the rumors over about the show building being completely flooded instead of it still looking like they just unloaded it from the 64 Worlds Rair.
There are other good rumors and ideas running about for the 50th anniversary(i just can't remember them). Its just a shame that Disneyland has not been kept in ship shape fashion. Its the 50th anniversary! What is Disney waiting for, the 75th or 100th anniversary to finally get it right? I'd really like to see one mother of a blow out for the 50th and have Disneyland reclaim it's once grand image. Although I'm sure there will be everything under the sun as far as merchandising goes.
The investment of time and money into one of the most popular theme parks in the world is well worth it, its a shame the poeple in charge don't know that.
Thank You for your time,

P.S.
One More Thing, I woulld like to see the Lava return to Indiana Jones. Way back, when the ride first opened, there was a Lava effect that you would see when the jeep transport first enter the main show area. The effect was created by a big ice machine above the cieling, the machine would spit out ice mixed with redish-orange black lite paint. When the ice would fall from the cieling, it looked like falling liguid hot magma! The rumor I heard, was that the ice machine didn't work all that well and that upkeep on the machine was difficult. I still think that effect was one of the coolist effects I had seen. Just a Wish.
:rolleyes:

RStar
11-12-2002, 12:10 PM
As many times as I have been on Indy (hundreds probably) I never saw that effect. I was there on opening day, and unless I just missed it (so much to see in there) it must not have been working.

I agree with you though, they need to get their act together and realy make DL shine! Bring it back to it's former glory for the 50th, and watch the crowds come back. Seems to me the cost of redoing all the 'E' tickets would equal building just one new one, and would spred the crowds out along the park.

"Come see all the old favorits in a new and better way, and see the new 50th celebration" would be great advertising and should bring them in all year!

The Great Dunn
11-12-2002, 05:16 PM
I saw the effect working for about the first year of operation, then never saw it again. Later on I learned that a friend of mine I went to school with use to be a tech for Indiana Jones, and I asked him why it wasn't working. He told me it was an operational cost issue, and the machine was some what tempermental, so they gave up on it.
Its an effect that only lasted the first year or so, when it was working. Imagine a giant ice machine spitting out a bag of ice every time a troop trasnport comes into the main show area, thats alot of ice! The machine had a hard time keeping up.
Another effect they could install would be the bugs running up the legs. From what I understand, it would have been the same effect used in Honey I Shrunk the Audience, when the mice run into the audience. The effect would have taken place in the turn where you see bugs projected on the wall, and the machine that blows the air would have been installed on each troop transport. It would have been a very good effect. Again, done in by budget restrictions.