PDA

View Full Version : Would you turn your annual passport into a charge card?

ScottC4746
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I found this on the weekly update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl080922xx). What do you all think? I am not too nutty about it. I am afraid of theft, however if Mom and Dad drop the kids off I can see the advantage of "this is preloaded with $50. Use it wisely." Gee, my days of growing up at Six Flags $20 would suffice.

Most visitors who stay at Disney-owned hotels can use their room key as a charge card, and can charge meals and merchandise to their master bill. Two MousePlanet readers have reported that the Disneyland Resort sent them a survey asking questions about making the same benefits available to annual passholders. The survey presents the possibility of linking an annual passport to your debit or credit card, and suggests that passholders would be able to set an optional daily spending limit for each member of the family.

If you didn't get a invitation to take the survey, here's your chance to share your thoughts about this offer. Would you link your AP to your credit or debit card? Do you think it would change your spending habits, and are you concerned about security?

genericeric
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
UGG, havent we learned from the recent financial crisis just what making something too convienient can do. Either way we wouldnt use this. Much easier to carry Disney Dollars or a Gift card then to tie this to my bank account.

With our old skool way of doing things when the money is gone we know we have to wait. Tying this to a Credit or Debit card, im certain they will make it vary convienient to up the limit, wouldnt work for us at all.

biolabetty
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I got that online survey, and I have to admit that I'm personally not in favor of it. I don't feel totally secure with my pass having money on it. Just me, I know a lot of others like the idea.

Gone2Disneyland
09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Not me. I like earning points using my Disney Visa Card. In turn, I use the points to offset renewing my AP. This potential program doesn't sound like it benefits me.

olegc
09-22-2008, 10:02 PM
not only do I not like it - but I would not want my kids to have a way to charge either. I know, I know, you could put a limit on it - but it just spells bad news for runaway spending and then a phone call sayiing can we put more on it.

IF they could somehow safeguard and guarentee that should the pass be lost or stolen we would only be liable for $50, like a real credit card, that would be great. however, I DOUBT Disneyland would put that in place. With that, I would not put my credit on the line here.

jenniebean
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I think a charge card AP is a little too close to the Disney Visa.

But, IMO, I do think there should be a way to buy things with your AP. Both my high school & college ID cards have a feature where parents (or yourself) can load money onto the card (no runaway spending). In high school, there were also two different accounts tied to the card-- one that can be used for food & one that can be used at the school store. That might be a useful feature for parents; if they want their kids to have like, snack money, but want to make sure they don't spend it on stuff, then they can choose which account to put money into.

cstephens
09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I liked having my room key linked to my credit card when we were at WDW. However, being at DLR, I wouldn't want my AP linked to my credit card. I don't have an issue pulling both out.

MammaSilva
09-23-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm not in favor of it and I'm sure that if they do implement it we'll all have the choice. I don't see theft being as big a deal because the passes do have our photos on them no matter how bad they are, I could see them asking for a second ID just like they do our credit cards now in most stores. I just don't see the benefit of the option, for kids, buy them a gift card and hand them 20 in cash for ODV. Any child old enough to be running lose unsupervised is old enough to learn that when they blow their money they are broke til mom or dad show up.

It won't be an option I'll take advantage of but it might be just the thing for someone else.

tchatters
09-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I loved not having to carry a purse in WDW. I would be happy to have my AP like the WDW passports that do anything- charge food, hold park tickets, open your door. I wouldn't mind at all. Especially if you linked your AP to your Disney Visa, then you get the points anyway!

dac1997
09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
I was sent the survey about this potential program. As I was doing the survey, I understood it to be more like a gift card than a charge card. You could put x number of dollars on your AP to spend however you would like. Was I mistaken on this????

jenniebean
09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I was sent the survey about this potential program. As I was doing the survey, I understood it to be more like a gift card than a charge card. You could put x number of dollars on your AP to spend however you would like. Was I mistaken on this????

If that is the case, hooray because that's exactly what I was suggesting :)

ssturgeo
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I would like being able to load money on it...one less card to carry...one less card to chance losing!! :>) I always take advantage of the hotel charge card when staying on property.

stan4d_steph
09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I would be interested in making it into a debit card, or even an auto-rechargeable card like a Starbucks card. The best way to do it would be to make it have a chip also and require a pin code, IMO.

K & S
09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I would be interested in making it into a debit card, or even an auto-rechargeable card like a Starbucks card. The best way to do it would be to make it have a chip also and require a pin code, IMO.

The survey suggested the AP could be linked to either a credit or debit card.

It wouldn't be anything I would want to participate in, my bank account has all ready be frozen twice due to my debit card being compromised. Besides sometimes I use my debit card, sometimes a credit card.