PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Hollow Updates?

woody9six
09-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I found an old thread on this, but I didn't want to necro it. Any new news on when this will make its debut? And has it been confirmed that this will be over by the old Motor Boat ride? Or is it going to be by the now-defunct (or soon-to-be-defunct) Ariel's Grotto?
Thanks in advance.

olegc
09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I found an old thread on this, but I didn't want to necro it. Any new news on when this will make its debut? And has it been confirmed that this will be over by the old Motor Boat ride? Or is it going to be by the now-defunct (or soon-to-be-defunct) Ariel's Grotto?
Thanks in advance.

don't know the date - but it's Ariel's Grotto (meet and greet near Matterhorn).

Check David Koenig's blog..

AaronInCal
09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Pixie Hollow is supposed to open on October 28. Naturally, that date may change. But I'm sure they are shooting to have it open around the same time as the DVD comes out.

towens
09-21-2008, 05:52 PM
there are AP previews oct 25-26

Bytebear
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I was at the park today, and it still looked pretty torn up. I just hope they put the meet and greet area on the other side of that plaza, so the Buzz Lightyear queue can spread out a bit, and that path can be wider.

Heffalump
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
What will they do there? My daughter will love it if it has pixies!

Bytebear
09-21-2008, 08:14 PM
It's a Tinkerbell meet-and-greet replacing the Arial one, and I do believe they are introducing additional fairies, so you may have more than just Tink.

cookie7762
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Im still trying to figure out how they are going to do this. Tink has never been a "meetable character" because she's supposed to fly and be very tiny. I suppose that some children won't mind because fantasy is all about the suspension of disbelief, but what about the ones that start to ask questions?

aznewsboy
09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, Ariel should have been in water too, right? My daughter asks lots of questions but never wondered why Ariel was in her grotto without water.

DizMe
09-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I saw this link to a picture of the Disney fairies, supposedly as they will look at the park. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2471910305_87782446c8_o.jpg

Second Star
09-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Im still trying to figure out how they are going to do this. Tink has never been a "meetable character" because she's supposed to fly and be very tiny. I suppose that some children won't mind because fantasy is all about the suspension of disbelief, but what about the ones that start to ask questions?

From what I have heard in other threads, from the entrance to the meet & greet area you are suppose to appear to be getting smaller, so that when you meet Tink and friend you're suppose to be the same size. I'll be checking this out in December. And this is going to be be great, no matter how it comes across. I've had a crush on Tinker Bell since I was about 5 :)

Seashellmama
09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I saw this link to a picture of the Disney fairies, supposedly as they will look at the park. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2471910305_87782446c8_o.jpg

Oh, my.

I don't think it's just going to be little girls in that meet-and-greet line.

DizMe
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
oh, my.

I don't think it's just going to be little girls in that meet-and-greet line.

lol!!

GoofyLou
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Does anybody know more about the AP previews - is it going to be like the toystory mania previews?

Tinker Bell
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I would think it would be like the bug show. Where you go down and feal like you are getting smaller. I can't wait. Now off to bed to get up early to see the Tink movie at the El Capitan Theatre in the morn.

olegc
09-25-2008, 09:13 AM
there is an update form The Disney Blog about the coming attraction.

A media day was held where they introduced the fairies...
Tinker Bell, a tinker fairy;
Fawn, an animal fairy;
Iridessa, a light fairy;
Rosetta, a garden fairy; and
Silvermist, a water fairy

image here (http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/disneyfairies-wa.jpg)

full post here (http://thedisneyblog.com/2008/09/24/tinker-bell-and-her-fairy-friends-coming-soon-to-disneyland-and-magic-kingdom/)

Animalia
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
It's been bothering me that Pixie Hollow will only have the females of the species. I understand the importance of good role models for little girls but how about the boys. I've glanced at the book and there are male pixies called "sparrowmen". Shouldn't at least one of them be included in the meet and greet or am I over thinking this?

Andrew
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
It's been bothering me that Pixie Hollow will only have the females of the species. I understand the importance of good role models for little girls but how about the boys. I've glanced at the book and there are male pixies called "sparrowmen". Shouldn't at least one of them be included in the meet and greet or am I over thinking this?
The female of the species is more deadly than the male. -- Col. Mustard (or Kipling, take your choice)

DizMe
09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I think there's more money to be made with girls. Witness the princess explosion. So many more things to be marketed to girls...dresses, accessories, jewelry, beauty products, etc. The sparrowmen have a rather small role in the stories but more importantly would be a little difficult to "sell" to boys, I think. I suspect the whole Fairies thing evolved for those girls who were getting too old to buy princess stuff anymore. I bet they didn't want to lose that lucrative market so they came up with a new angle that still keeps the magic of princess but has more cachet for older girls.

VickiC
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Ding, ding, ding. My 9 year old is way past the princess stuff but has read all the fairy books and is writing her own fairy book right now. It helps they hired a respected childrens author to write the longer books in the collection.

olegc
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM

well, at disneyland the boys have their place (sort of)... Pirate's Lair at TSI is geared a lot toward adventure and discovery - and the marketing lean is towards boys (look at the costumes sold in the Pirate store). there is also Buzz Lightyear - not marketed as heavily but definitely in the boy realm. Not everything I think has a male and a female components.

When this was Ariel's grotto for a meet and greet we never saw prince eric or King Neptune -and those are male characters. I guess it's just that Disney will pick and choose what they think will be most popular and make the most money -and not focus on "fairness" or "gender equal" issues.

yohomama212
09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
When this was Ariel's grotto for a meet and greet we never saw prince eric or King Neptune -and those are male characters.

Ariel's father was King Triton.

Elizabeth

olegc
09-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Ariel's father was King Triton.

Elizabeth

DOH! brain lock. thank you.