PDA

View Full Version : Minimum requirements for the 50th

merlinjones
11-11-2002, 06:29 AM
Well, as Al has reported today, it seems that the rumored additions to the classic E-tickets have been cut from the 50th budget, except for a complete overhaul of Space Mountain (... and please fix the facade - - or at least the paint scheme!!!).

Frankly, I think this is for the best. The classics (Pirates, Mansion, etc.) are well loved the way they are, and subjective changes are hardly what the company needs right now.

Instead, as David and Al have suggested, they shoud turn attention to fixing up the extant dormant attractions as a nostalgic (and highly marketable) boost (since we all know they are not going to finance new E-tickets or new rides, let's not even argue the point). I think this sort of program is an imperative for TDA... if they can't pull off some actual freshened or restored attractions for the 50th anniversary, I for one will be terribly disappointed (and I doubt I'll be alone). Tommorrowland can't even be celebrated in its current form (even with a Space Mountian fix).

For my money, I think the following fixes would be the minimum acceptable freshen up for Disneyland's Golden Anniversary:

1) Submarine Voyage - - Even if they just refurbished and reopened it the way it was, I'd be happy. There is no excuse not to do this. If they went the extra mile to revamp the sub exteriors to a Nautilus theme, they could even market it as a new ride for a modest reinvestment. This is a major park icon, sorely missed. It would be welcomed back heartily.

2) The new CircleVision film is a good idea. Again, there is no reasonable excuse for this not being done. It can't cost THAT much...

3) Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. WDW wants to close it, we have nothing good in our carousel. Just ship it out and put it back where it belongs!

4) Rocket Jets - - the mechanism is still there! Let's see a second set of rockets up high where they belong. Tomorrowland looks horibly bare without a living centerpiece.

5) Refurbish the original Tiki Room or add Lilo and Stitch overlay. This attraction needs to be brought to the anniversary party in top form. Just say no to the loudmouth Florida show.

6) The Golden Horseshoe Revue - - This is also a no-brainer. Bring back Slue Foot Sue, Pecos Bill and the Can-Can girls, and for God's sake, budget it to run indefinately.

7) Keel Boats. Motor Boats.

8) Fix ALL the bridges and play areas on Tom Sawyer Island.

9) How about some Bear band members to play in fixed sets for the riverboats and trains or the Hungry Bear restaurant? Why waste the figures if they can be used to enhance existing experiences?

...Of course, I would LOVE to see Inner Space, Skyway, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, PeopleMover and Flying Saucers back... and Buzz Lightyear or Stitch Alien Encounter added... but are these just too expensive to even dream about? Shouldn't be...

They could still do all of this in time if they really wanted to make some BIG money for the 50th. During a war, everyone will long to revisit their lost childhood, to revisit the happy and safe times. This is the time to provide Disney's special contribution and be handsomely rewarded for it! These mini-classic revivals are a visual, photogenic, marketable tie-in with the anniversary theme. Don't miss the boat, TDA!!! A solid reinvestment will reap much bigger rewards.

Obviously, ALL of the above things won't happen... but if absolutely NONE of the above happens, I might be tempted to skip the whole thing altogether. Fiber optics and snow globes will leave me in no mood to celebrate - - or spend.

11-11-2002, 06:52 AM
And paint Tomorrowland white!

Sailor Butterfly
11-11-2002, 06:52 AM
To quote Iago, "Why am I not surprised?!"

I mean is anyone shocked by this? It's so frustrating that the boneheads in accounting can't see that you need to spend money to make money. Maybe they should all be given a copy of Theme Park Rollercoaster or one of those other sims. Maybe, just maybe, they might then get a clue. *sighs and shakes head*

Doodle Duck
11-11-2002, 08:26 AM
Subs Subs Subs! Get it done!
And yes...by all means repaint that awful, dull, Euro UGLY paint scheme in Tomorrowland. Hideous and uninviting.

Now here is my MAIN 50th want: IMHO

Retro fit the TREEHOUSE! That uninteresting, pointless Tarzan overlay (sorry Tony) is a waste of vertical space.

Ace
11-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Disney spent how much on Fox Family? 5 Billion? If they had not bought that and spent a fraction of that amount on Disneyland then they would be able to do everything that we want, and more. I guess being able to show 50 episodes of Lizzie McGuire a day is more important than Walt's park, huh?

ErikBsandiego
11-11-2002, 11:24 AM
(At the risk of getting moved to the Business of Magic)(

If only to keep my hopes up I am deciding to read Al's latest with a grain of salt and keep hoping for one or two new e-tixs.....

Question - does anyone have knowledge of what one of these costs? (My guess is that SPACE or TestTrack at WDW would be a fair comparison). For the life of me I can't see why these don't pencil - Disney already has the land and has an "in house" engineering/design group. That leaves construction which, since it has to be done while the park is open can be a logistical bear but stilll.....

I am still hoping that they can figure out the ground water "myth" and put Voyage to the Center of the Earth in the sub/motor boat area. _THAT_ would be great!!!

Biotron2000
11-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Is there any truth to the rumors of an Atlantis-themed attraction for the lagoon?

Hydroman
11-12-2002, 07:22 AM
I tend to believe that an Atlantis themed ride was being seriously considered. They even had that mini-sub thingy at the lagoon advertising something to come. Unfortunately, the movie did poorly at the box office, so the corporate types probably did not want to risk the investment for a ride that might not attract additional guests. Not to mention the theming problems of a ride based on a movie set in the early 20th century in Tomorrowland.

But it seems to me that if the ride design were good enough, a real " 'E' ticket" if you will, the non-success of the movie would have been a moot point. A good ride might actually improve video sales as well as drive a boost in attendance. Of course my opinion is skewed by the fact that I really liked Atlantis. Star Wars took place a long time ago ..... that did not stop Star Tours ....

MonorailMan
11-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Hydroman
Star Wars took place a long time ago ..... that did not stop Star Tours ....

But remember, a long time ago in the future, could still be in the future.

Thank about that! ;)

Ace
11-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
But remember, a long time ago in the future, could still be in the future.

Thank about that! ;)

well, technically it hapenned a long time ago, but it's still futuristic technology.