PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the Main Entry Plaza bricks

Darkbeer
11-10-2002, 08:17 AM
So, I was at the DLR last night, and was walking from DCA to DL, when the earth began to move.... well, at least the footing was pretty bad!

I walked out of DCA through the west side gate (It was 9 PM, and all the turnstiles were closed), and headed towards the west side of the DL gates. When I got close to DL, near the monorail, I found a few (at least 4 bricks) that were loose and not very good footing. It was like someone placed a marble under the bricks, as they were raised and shifted side to side, not good with a wet surface.

So, I stopped by Guest services after I entered the park, to let someone know (and hopefully have someone place those caution cones over the affected area.) The CM stated that the area is not truly paved, and the bricks were "free standing"... I left City Hall confused, since I really didn't care how they built the Main Entry Plaza, but wanted to let them know that they had a dangerous walking area.... Heck, they closed most of the walking area at the Mickey's and Friends parking garage due to a slippery surface (They used the yellow caution tape to keep people off the tiles, and had a small walking path to the escalators and elevators, using the non-skid carpet pads you see in front of most AM-PM's, etc...) You have to love that Michael Eisner designed structure....:p

Bruce Bergman
11-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
So, I was at the DLR last night, and was walking from DCA to DL, when the earth began to move.... well, at least the footing was pretty bad!

I walked out of DCA through the west side gate (It was 9 PM, and all the turnstiles were closed), and headed towards the west side of the DL gates. When I got close to DL, near the monorail, I found a few (at least 4 bricks) that were loose and not very good footing. It was like someone placed a marble under the bricks, as they were raised and shifted side to side, not good with a wet surface.

So, I stopped by Guest services after I entered the park, to let someone know (and hopefully have someone place those caution cones over the affected area.) The CM stated that the area is not truly paved, and the bricks were "free standing"... I left City Hall confused, since I really didn't care how they built the Main Entry Plaza, but wanted to let them know that they had a dangerous walking area.... Heck, they closed most of the walking area at the Mickey's and Friends parking garage due to a slippery surface (They used the yellow caution tape to keep people off the tiles, and had a small walking path to the escalators and elevators, using the non-skid carpet pads you see in front of most AM-PM's, etc...) You have to love that Michael Eisner designed structure....:p

The paving bricks are not set in concrete. They are on a bed of compacted sand, and they are supposed to have sand swept into the cracks to fill the little gaps and "lock" them in place.

And then you get the third-shift cleaning crew out there hosing off the sidewalks with a fire-hose two or three times a week, and washing all that sand out of the cracks...

They have to put 're-sanding' the paver areas on the maintenance schedules as a once-a-month item, but they haven't gotten the message yet. But if someone has a slip-and-fall and gets a ton of dough in a settlement or judgement from the Mouse, I'll bet they'll get on it right away.

And regular floor tile outdoors? (Not the non-skid style.) What /were/ they thinking?

____--<< Bruce >>--

Morrigoon
11-10-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't know, maybe we should ask Mikey, seeing as how he personally saw to the construction of the structure ;) What was he thinking? :rolleyes:

tod
11-10-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I don't know, maybe we should ask Mikey, seeing as how he personally saw to the construction of the structure ;) What was he thinking? :rolleyes:

"It looks pretty, I like it, do it. Okay, call the helicopter, let's get out of here."

And he never set foot in the structure again.

--T
just guessing, of course.