PDA

View Full Version : "You're not allowed to do that anymore..." [Non-Passholder pay & still get discount]

Pages : [1] 2

tHeDiSnEyKiD
09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I was at the park on Sunday with a friend and we decided to eat at the Pilots Grill. My friend just got her pass as I am getting one finally again next week, but we like how we can take advantage of the discounts now. We go up together and the old lady cashier said I'm not allowed to use her pass with my credit card. She said it was just implemented 2 weeks ago.

I found that odd considering familes, husbands/wives, bf/gf use their partners passes to get the discounts with another card especially with the person standing right there. But she went ahead and gave it to us anyway. The rest of the night, every other place took the pass without any question.

TTFN92
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I was buying something at the store on Paradise Pier that is closest to the Maliboomer and there were a couple people in front of me. A girl was trying to let her friend use her pass but the CM said that the cardholder had to pay, so she did. That was last weekend. I think it only makes sense. We've never tried to use another's pass because we have our own, but I can see why they would only honor the pass for the one who bought it.

Bytebear
09-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I have had this happen to me, but I have found that it all depends on the CM, unless it became more formal in recent weeks. By the way, when did they get rid of the pay kiosks at the Taste Pilot Grill?

jenniebean
09-16-2008, 10:00 AM
By the way, when did they get rid of the pay kiosks at the Taste Pilot Grill?

I'm pretty sure they were gone last September... but that was one of the reason I loved them! You just had to swipe your pass with none of this "only the cardholder" business. I'm here 8 1/2 months of the year, so I have a pass, but when my parents visit, of course they don't have passes, but want to take me to dinner-- & why wouldn't we use my AP disc at like, BB? At a place like that, it makes a big difference.

I guess it's one of those things I'd just be genuinely interested to see the data collection behind the company decision. Like how much money was being lost by nonAPers using AP discs.

(note: I'm not saying it in an accusatory "prove to me why you did this" way, but a "I want to go into marketing & market research & am intrigued by the business side of things" way.)

cstephens
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I was at the park on Sunday with a friend and we decided to eat at the Pilots Grill. My friend just got her pass as I am getting one finally again next week, but we like how we can take advantage of the discounts now. We go up together and the old lady cashier said I'm not allowed to use her pass with my credit card. She said it was just implemented 2 weeks ago.

Maybe it's "official" policy now, but they've had that restriction in place as a matter of practice in most locations for some time now. If you pay with cash, you can use someone else's discount, but if you pay with a credit card, the person using the credit card and using the discount have to be the same. I've seen some CMs who don't enforce that practice. The husband is usually the credit card person, but in the cases where I'm paying, I pull out my AP instead of him pulling out his.

I think the policy makes sense as it's not supposed to be transferable.

adriennek
09-16-2008, 10:11 AM

I didn't know that there was a time that they did allow that. I remember being told this when I was with my husband. They wanted to call our credit card company to verify that I was on the account with him in order to use my pass with his credit card. We're married. Same address on our drivers licenses. Same family in the Annual Pass computer. It's "provable." LOL.

So I'm not sure that was ever not the policy as much as they recently may have reminded CMs who weren't following their OG's.

Adrienne

MKY4ME
09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
the passholder is required to pay for the purchase. CMs may not always press the issue but they are supposed to. We are only supposed to accept payment from the passholder.

disneyperson
09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
It sounds like a reasonable policy to me. The discounts are supposed to be for the passholder, not the passholder's friends.

DisneyFanKat
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I've never even tried to transfer my discount to friends who didn't have a pass... If they were planning on paying for their food or merchandise with cash, I have had them give that to me and I still pay. (Even with cash - I have tried to keep it "hush-hush" - i.e. not have them give me the cash right in front of them CM - haha)

I guess I just assumed it was pretty strictly enforced since it's supposed to be non-transferable.

dlfansx4
09-16-2008, 10:59 AM

I found that odd considering familes, husbands/wives, bf/gf use their partners passes to get the discounts with another card especially with the person standing right there. But she went ahead and gave it to us anyway. The rest of the night, every other place took the pass without any question.

I think it has always been in place but some CMs did not inforce it. My DD has a premium pass because we wanted the parking on hers so if the purchase is under $50, I just give her money to pay for it. If over $50, I get the same discount with my Disney Visa (depending on the place) so I just use that. At first I would just try using her pass each time and about 1/2 the time, they would let me. Now I just have her pay or my DH pays using his pass since he also upgraded to a premium.

Andrew
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
This is at odds with the policy at table-service restaurants, where the whole table will get the AP discount as long as any one diner has an AP.

Good old inconsistent Disney policies.

AVP
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
She said it was just implemented 2 weeks ago. There may have been a new training memo sent out to reinforce the policy, but it's not new.

By the way, when did they get rid of the pay kiosks at the Taste Pilot Grill?About a year ago. I heard that they were causing too much delay because people couldn't figure out how to use them, but they've since installed similar kiosks in WDW. Right, so a park filled with regular visitors who generally speak one of the two languages supported by the kiosk can't make them work, but a park filled with first- or infrequent- visitors who are much less likely on average to speak English are able to use them just fine? Something about that explaination never quite made sense.

This is at odds with the policy at table-service restaurants, where the whole table will get the AP discount as long as any one diner has an AP.Yeah, that is odd. Same thing with CM discounts at restaurants, ALTHOUGH we did have a situation at Cafe Orleans shortly after they re-opened where the server asked to see the APs for everyone in the group before he'd give the discount.

AVP

Bytebear
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I can understand it being non-transferable, but if the guest is right there, what is the big deal. I can see if I pulled out my partners pass and he was at home it would be an issue, but honestly. Maybe they will be asking that the driver must show his parking pass too and passengers don't count.

disneyperson
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
This is at odds with the policy at table-service restaurants, where the whole table will get the AP discount as long as any one diner has an AP.

It's supposed to be on one bill paid for by the AP holder.

dawnid
09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it has always been this way, it's the same if you are a CM too. The AP or CM discount is good for the total table or purchase but the discount holder has to pay.

Jenniebean I think Disney uses the discount as an incentive to pay the extra bucks for the Premium pass or upgrade to a pass (food discount only) so it wouldn't make sense to allow all passholders to have the discount from a marketing standpoint. Its is one of the few selling points for me to pay the extra since you wouldn't catch me dead at the park on a holiday or summer peak deluxe blackout day. :)

Malcon10t
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
It's supposed to be on one bill paid for by the AP holder.
I have had the CM ask if anyone in our group had a AP when they brought the bill. I have also arrived at Goofy's (in June) and said while there were 14 of us, it would be 3 tags. I paid first, showing my PAP, and the cashier said "I will put your AP on the other's bills also." I never asked for that, but it was nice of her.

Often, when my ex travels with us, and we eat out (ie Cafe Orleans, Goofy's, Hungry Bear) he pays for everyone, and one of us shows our pass. Now, all in the family have PAPs except him, but they haven't questioned us in 2 years (they did question us before, so then he bought a Disney Gift Card, and we paid with that...)

jMom
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I have received the same response from various CMs -- only the AP holder can use the AP discount. Some CMs were more open to how the payment was made, but only the passholder received the discount.

And I've had an AP for two happy years now :D

cstephens
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I can understand it being non-transferable, but if the guest is right there, what is the big deal.

That would be what "non-transferable" means.

DisneyObsessedBruin
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
It's a little annoying, but I understand the policy, and I've been hearing that ever since I got a pass in 2006, so it can't be new. I can deal with the reasoning when it comes to credit cards, but when I got the pass, i was buying something at the Pooh Corner (is it still called that?) store, and it was for me and everything, and my dad handed me a 20, but they didn't let me pay with that 20 dollar bill. Again, I understand the concept, but it seemed a bit overboard to not let a father give his daughter some cash to pay for her candy. Eh, but then again, you have to ask where then do you draw then line?

AnotherJenny
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Usually they will take the discount first, then return with the check, take the check way again with the credit card and process it. So I can see where it's less likely to be checked in that situation.

But otherwise, it has been the case at least since 2003. I've been "caught" paying with another person's card at Pizza Port and World of Disney. But never had a problem with cash, so I just use that whenever possible.

That being said, a CM an the Emporium once saw my pass in my hand and gave me a 10% discount on my purchase, never checking the back of the pass to see that it was a So Cal.

It's Disneyland, sometimes you get lucky :)

Bytebear
09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
That would be what "non-transferable" means.

Yes, but I interpret non-transferable to mean I cannot use their pass/discounts without the person. Honestly, what is the difference between handing me cash, and then me handing the cash to the cashier than using a credit card. I supposed I could stand there and give discounts to everyone in line, but I really don't think people are abusing the system.

dawnid
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
It's a little annoying, but I understand the policy, and I've been hearing that ever since I got a pass in 2006, so it can't be new. I can deal with the reasoning when it comes to credit cards, but when I got the pass, i was buying something at the Pooh Corner (is it still called that?) store, and it was for me and everything, and my dad handed me a 20, but they didn't let me pay with that 20 dollar bill. Again, I understand the concept, but it seemed a bit overboard to not let a father give his daughter some cash to pay for her candy. Eh, but then again, you have to ask where then do you draw then line?

That is splitting the hair a bit too fine in my opinion. I would have been one of those AP holders CM's dread if it had happened to one of my kidlets. :D

DisneyFanKat
09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I think Disney uses the discount as an incentive to pay the extra bucks for the Premium pass or upgrade to a pass (food discount only) so it wouldn't make sense to allow all passholders to have the discount from a marketing standpoint.

I think for the merchandise discount - that's why they have a minimum of $10 purchase to apply the discount. More than a few times I've had a small item - around $7 - that I wanted to buy...and I think "but I won't get my discount" - so I add something like an antenna ball or something. Spending $3 MORE to save $1 makes sense, right? :confused: hahaha :D

I've had a pass for around 10 or 11 years now...(I should find my first ones, I know they're SOMEWHERE)... I personally think they should have some kind of "buy 10 years, get a year free" program! :)

ScottC4746
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM

I think it is like the $10 minimum purchase where it depends on the mood of the CM and their Lead and his/her policy. They may be union employees, but they still have to listen to the what the Lead says.

dlfansx4
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Wow, that is really surprising. That is exactly what we do all the time (right in front of the CMs). My DD (10) hands them the merchandise and her AP. Then I hand her the money and she hands it to the CM. Sometimes I just put the money down on the counter. No CM has ever questioned that.
It shouldn't matter where the $20 bill came from. It was in your hand when you went to pay. I think I would have raised a fuss over that one.

Funny thing is, it was actually a CM that suggested to us a few years back to get one premium pass (we had So. Cal at the time) so that we could get the discount. We decided then to get the premium pass for our DD because we wanted the parking on that one. We often go on just mother/daughter or father/daughter trips and wanted to have parking covered either way.