PDA

View Full Version : Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - September 2008 version

Darkbeer
09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
This is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective August of 2008.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and getting a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $389 Premium pass, that will be discounted $30 dollars to $359, the cost is 98.356 cents per day, which makes the discount equal 30 days worth with the new price. (Note, Disney increased the Premium AP discount from $20 to $30 in September of 2008).

Therefore for example, if your Premium Annual Pass expires 12/1/08, and you plan to go prior to December 31st, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2009, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $389, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/10.

With the Deluxe at $269, and $20 off, that makes it $249, and 68.22 cents per day, and therefore, 29 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 29 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 24 days.

Since the SoCal and SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 29 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 24 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 30 days.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Darkbeer, have you been lurking around my house? We always promptly renewed our passes to get the discount, until the day I realized I was renewing a pass in May, saving 20 dollars and not returning until September. Seemed to make more sense to do it when I was actually going to go. Unfortch, it now means that there is a family member with an expired pass each time we are at DL and we start our day with a trip to the guest services window!

Darkbeer
09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Darkbeer, have you been lurking around my house? We always promptly renewed our passes to get the discount, until the day I realized I was renewing a pass in May, saving 20 dollars and not returning until September. Seemed to make more sense to do it when I was actually going to go. Unfortch, it now means that there is a family member with an expired pass each time we are at DL and we start our day with a trip to the guest services window!

A couple of comments, first off, having different expiration dates helps spread out the budget, as you don't have to pay one large sum at once.

And you do have the option of buying a new AP online at Disneyland.com, and use the e-ticket print at home option. That gets you inside the park with no wait, but you would have to go to the Bank of Main Street sometime that day to have the voucher processed.

AnotherJenny
09-16-2008, 04:54 PM
A few years ago I renewed a SoCal AP for Premium and got the discount. They still allow that, right?

candles71
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM
our renewal notice came in with the Deluxe having the $30 discount as well $239

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
239? I just got my son's for October and it was 269 with the discount, his I will renew on line as we will be returning after his renewal is complete.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
A couple of comments, first off, having different expiration dates helps spread out the budget, as you don't have to pay one large sum at once.

And you do have the option of buying a new AP online at Disneyland.com, and use the e-ticket print at home option. That gets you inside the park with no wait, but you would have to go to the Bank of Main Street sometime that day to have the voucher processed.

That's a great idea, as we aren't saving any money with the early renewal it does seem sensible to just get the new AP.

silence
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
HHMMM...

We just renewed our 5 Deluxe APs last week.

Our next trip is the middle of October. I guess we timed it just right, as, we were only charged $239 to renew each pass, vs. the $269 for new ones, so a total savings for our family of $150.

We originally thought extending the expiration for the following year, plus any EE we could score with PHs in October would be worth it. Well, not for us. That plus losing our food discounts until we used our EE, it didn't make sense for us.

ScottC4746
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
HHMMM...

We just renewed our 5 Deluxe APs last week.

Our next trip is the middle of October. I guess we timed it just right, as, we were only charged $239 to renew each pass, vs. the $269 for new ones, so a total savings for our family of $150.

We originally thought extending the expiration for the following year, plus any EE we could score with PHs in October would be worth it. Well, not for us. That plus losing our food discounts until we used our EE, it didn't make sense for us.
I received a $10 discount on my Premium.