PDA

View Full Version : The Train

Cooie
11-08-2002, 07:04 AM
I'm absolutely estatic that it's back up and running. The stations look fantastic, and there's no better way to rest some sore feet than to take a trip around the park. I really missed it when it was gone.

But.

And I want to preface this "but" by saying I'm not looking for the negative, and I'm not saying Walt would have wanted it differently or anything like that. But I miss Thurl. The train just doesn't have the same charm for me as it once did. It just felt wrong without Thurl's "roar of a lion" narration. I don't even mind the Spanish speil like most do... but Thurl!

Agree, or disagree?

smd4
11-08-2002, 08:11 AM
While Thurl was a good narrator, Jack Wagner (the voice of the train-station accouncement--"Now arriving from a complete trip around Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom...") was good too. He did several versions of the older "Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad" spiel.

Who does the current spiel?

Disneyphile
11-08-2002, 11:01 AM
I miss Thurl too!!! I also miss the old guy on BTMRR. In fact, when I was there last week, a group of people started chanting "Old guy, old guy, old guy!" when pulling away from and arriving at the station, and then saying they were going to complain at City Hall. I hope enough people do so maybe they'll change the spiels back or at least find someone with enough "oomph" to 'em.

RStar
11-08-2002, 12:16 PM
It seems like more and more of the old speils are being replaced. The sound of the speiels are so much of the memories that it's hard to lose them. I miss them to.......:crying:

SoCalSnowWhite
11-17-2002, 11:19 PM
I am soooooo upset!! i cannot stand the new guy's voice. it's the same guy who does the new BTMR announcement. Like one of the conductors said, " I could have sworn the train was based from Main St. not Frontierland."

I'm so glad I recorded Thurl's voice on a video.

MickeyD
11-18-2002, 12:35 PM
On an almost totally unrelated note: I guess the guy who does the new speil is a substitute teacher in the school district here in Thousand Oaks. About a week ago some of the teens I work with came running in my office to tell me that they had him for a sub. :)

Sheila
11-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Gee, I could have sworn that the actor's voice for the train narration is John Cullum (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Cullum,%20John%20(I)) (of Northern Exposure fame).

Anyhow, this same actor's voice has been used for WDW MK's train narration for quite a few years so he's not a total newcomer.... :)

Sheila

MickeyD
11-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Next time I see one of the kids I'll ask them what his name is. I doubt a substitute teacher would lie to them. :confused: But they could have misunderstood him. In fact, at first that's exactly what I thought because I didn't realize they had changed the spiel. I should have told them to find out exactly what spiel he did when they first told me.

cstephens
11-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Perhaps it might be possible to find out the name of the new narrator by emailing Disney?