PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland College Program '09

MiaTurner
09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Okay, I held off posting this for days because I was certain either someone else would, or that I was missing a similar thread in the search... But I've gone over the search a million times and I'm pretty sure no one's done this yet. So if this is in the wrong section, or someone's done this already, feel free to move, merge, delete, etc. ;)

Basically I had my interview on Wednesday and it went extremely well. If I get accepted, this will be my first time leaving home. (And parents!!)

I haven't run into many people who have been in or know about the program, so I thought this would be a good place to search. Does anyone have any advice, be it advice about moving out for the first time or advice about the college program in general? I'm a little more than terrified (but excited!), so any and all advice is appreciated! :)

Autopia Guy
09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
My biggest hint is do no complain about the amount of hours you are scheduled to work. Right now, with a lot of the departments being over hired and the fact that they keep putting CP kids into them (and the fact CPs are guaranteed a certain amount of hours a week) has lead to people who hired in the normal way getting less and less hours. And the animosity between them and the college kids is getting rather high at times. Heck, I know that I don't like a few of the current CPs because of the above and my self who hired in regular getting minimal hours during the SUMMER.

And you said leaving home... You are going to try for the housing that they are now offering for the DL program? I've been to the apartments they have, and they are rather nice. Rent is a little high from what I hear. And, of course, you have the fun times of room mates and such, but thats all part of the experience.

Well, good luck with the CP. Hope you get what you want. A lot of them are wonderful people. I just wish the few bad apples in the group didn't stick out so much.

Tan Da Man
09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Id really like to hear more about this too..Im really interested in doing it, but kind of worried about taking a whole semester off of my schooling at my university

Niwel
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
First off,
Congrats!

Please read our Cast Place stories -- we have a lot of CP alum who've written about their experiences -- and it has really helpful tips on making the magic/.

I interviewed (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=176)John Van Winkle with the DLCP about the living, learning and earning.

I hope it helps! :D

jenniebean
09-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Id really like to hear more about this too..Im really interested in doing it, but kind of worried about taking a whole semester off of my schooling at my university

It's not really supposed to be "taking a semester off"... you take classes during the college program, too, which supposedly relate to your major (I haven't been in the program, but have looked into it extensively), so it's kind of like study abroad, but the "abroad" is DL or WDW. Usually you have to check with whether your university (which I can only assume is University of Arizona given the Tuscon location) will accept the credit through either your registrar, adviser, or, in some cases, the off-campus/study abroad office.

Tan Da Man
09-14-2008, 01:51 PM
yea, I do go to the U of A...but Im a pre-business major, and Im not sure if any of you are familiar with how the business school at the U of A works, but you must apply for acceptance after fulfilling certain requirements and then go through an interview process and what not (usually after your sophomore year, but it will take me an extra semester as Im trying to increase my GPA by lowering my class load). My worry is the application process to the business school here is highly competitive, as it is one of the top schools in the country and there are so many applicant..I jsut dont want this "study" abroad to hurt my chances of getting into the school.

I hope that makes sense :)

jenniebean
09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Well, like I said, it's something to discuss with your adviser. If it doesn't fit into your academic plan (it doesn't fit in with mine, either) & you really want to do it, there are also summer long of postgraduate internships available in various fields, including business.

MiaTurner
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the advice so far :) It's been great!

And yea, like Jennie said, I would talk to an advisor about it. It's not right for everyone. I had a plan for my career that seemed to be falling apart every direction I was going. (The classes I needed weren't being offered, the company that was going to interview me started laying people off, the university I was going to go to once I moved raised tuition, etc...) And once I was down to one class a semester, I decided this would be a great idea. It's something I plan to make the basis of a career out of.

So as some advice from one college go-er to another, I would say that it's a good idea to go if you wanna make a career with Disney. That's not to say that's the ONLY thing this program is for; it's great experience and looks awesome on a resume, but I would say that making a career with the company is the best use you'd get out of the program.

jenniebean
09-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have any advice, be it advice about moving out for the first time or advice about the college program in general? I'm a little more than terrified (but excited!), so any and all advice is appreciated! :)

I had completely neglected to answer the moving out part until now-- totally ditz'd out on that. I had never left home until I left for school two years ago either, & I'm not going to lie, it was really hard at first (& at times, it's still hard). But remember: even if you're homesick, that doesn't mean you don't belong where you left for. Start making a folder on your computer of all your favorite photos of your friends, family, pets, even places around your hometown you think you'll miss. You can either print them out to put around your room, or just open up the folder whenever you feel like you miss it. I've got about a dozen videos of my dog just playing with me in the backyard or doing something cute around the house that always make me feel better. & one of the other hard things about leaving home for the first time (I never even went to camp, lol) is the communication between you & your parents; it can either go too much or too little. We finally found a system that works-- biweekly email updates from both ends with some topics predetermined (I was always upset I never knew what was going on with my grandparents, they were always upset they didn't know what was going on in my harder classes). I mean, I definitely call home if there's something I want to tell my parents or sister right away, but I try not to spend hours on the phone with them, because then it makes it harder to say goodbye.

Anyway, good luck with the news... you obviously have to keep us all posted & I hope this helped a bit!

MiaTurner
09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Start making a folder on your computer of all your favorite photos of your friends, family, pets, even places around your hometown you think you'll miss. You can either print them out to put around your room, or just open up the folder whenever you feel like you miss it.

This is really great advice, the first time I left home for a week to complete my senior project at Sea World in San Diego, I found the silliest little thing to keep me happy when I was homesick: my annotated copy of Charlotte's Web. Why did it keep me from getting homesick? NO idea :p But since I don't know the formula, I really like your advice of having a folder of familiar things. Most of my friends and family said they hated the first few months of being on their own; hopefully I can prepare myself for something like that. (I'm really challenging myself to stay the whole 7 months, whether I hate or love the program.)

And thanks for the luck again! Don't worry, when I find out if I got in or not, everyone's gonna know. ;) (You'll hear the shriek of joy/anguish all the way from my lil slice of Tucson.)

Tan Da Man
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
And thanks for the luck again! Don't worry, when I find out if I got in or not, everyone's gonna know. ;) (You'll hear the shriek of joy/anguish all the way from my lil slice of Tucson.)

Woo Woo! Go Tucson haha

MiaTurner
09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks again for the advice, everyone.

My biggest problem now has been trying to find people going through the same thing. The WDW program is so much bigger, it seems all CP groups are referring to the WDW program, and it's difficult to find groups on the DL program.

The biggest problem with that is I wanna follow WDW CPer's lead and get to know someone, who plans to go as well, over the next 3 months and room with them so it's less scary on both of us. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a DL CP group to ask this question on!

MiaTurner
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Sorry to double-post here, but I've been accepted!! :)

I'll be working Quick Service Food and Beverage, and I'm over-top stoked for it!!!!!

dznyphreak
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Congrats! Although it wasn't the College Program, I worked in Quick Service in Summer 07 and would be glad to answer questions (although, like I said, I was just a regular CM). Have a blast!

ChurroGirl
10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
OH! COngrats! Its so exciting! I am glad that you are happy and got accepted! Thats a wonderful treat for the weekend!

jenniebean
10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry to double-post here, but I've been accepted!! :)

I'll be working Quick Service Food and Beverage, and I'm over-top stoked for it!!!!!

omgomgomg CONGRATULATIONS!! :D:D:D:D

So happy for you! We'll see you in the spring?

Leap for Joy
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Congratulations little rabbit! I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!! :)

Wobble
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
This is really great advice, the first time I left home for a week to complete my senior project at Sea World in San Diego, I found the silliest little thing to keep me happy when I was homesick: my annotated copy of Charlotte's Web. Why did it keep me from getting homesick? NO idea :p But since I don't know the formula, I really like your advice of having a folder of familiar things. Most of my friends and family said they hated the first few months of being on their own; hopefully I can prepare myself for something like that. (I'm really challenging myself to stay the whole 7 months, whether I hate or love the program.)

I recommend making a scrapbook - it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a nice collection of photos of your family, pets, etc. I am a sophomore in an out of state college and I was miserable when I first moved away from my family (my mom and my sister are my best friends). I almost considered leaving my college and going to the University of Oregon, which was closer to home; I'm glad I didn't because I love my college. So Jenniebean was right - just because you feel homesick doesn't mean you don't belong there! Sometimes you just gotta tough it out.

Also: CONGRATULATIONS!! It's so exciting to get what you wanted and hoped for so much - and it makes me feel good to see people so happy about a dream coming true. :]

leota's necklace
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
How awesome, congratulations!

As far as leaving home -- accept that it can be hard. If you are going to be living with roommates, the best advice I can give you is: don't be passive-aggressive. (For examples of how NOT to act, look at passiveaggressivenotes.com.) My roommate and I (at NAU!) were best friends (still are) and we drove each other crazy with little games when, if we had just been honest about what was bugging us, we might have been able to live together longer. As it turned out we were both so unhappy in the room we tried to spend as little time together as possible.

And set your communication expectations with your parents <i>before</i> you go. My folks expected a call <b>every weekend</b> (but didn't tell me that) and were very hurt when it didn't always happen -- they didn't understand that sometimes, it just wasn't possible, and I needed a little time away from them to figure out who I was as an adult.

Niwel
10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Wonderful!
Enjoy it, take advantage of every opportunity you can :)