PDA

View Full Version : Information on Aerial Tram?

pdxted50
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Does anybody know what might be going on with the Aerial Tram? I really, really miss that ride - I like the Park the best at night, and that Tram really made that experience special!! I sent the Park an email, but I doubt I will get a real answer there. If they can bring back the Submarine Voyage, the Aerial Tram is possible..as Walt Disney once said, "Anything's possible at Disneyland.":)

Andrew
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Do you mean the Skyway (http://yesterland.com/skyway.html)? It closed in 1994 and there's no discussion of it returning for various reasons.

ScottC4746
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Do you mean the Skyway (http://yesterland.com/skyway.html)? It closed in 1994 and there's no discussion of it returning for various reasons.
I think part of the problem was the Fantasyland end is not ADA friendly. They could do a round trip from Tomorrowland, but I think that end has been demolished...I think...plus the mountain has been plugged up now.

Bytebear
09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I would love to see it come back, but I don't think it was the ADA that caused the closure. I think it was that people were throwing things off it, and that when it broke down, it was really REALLY hard to evacuate.

Katlovett
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I would love to see it come back, but I don't think it was the ADA that caused the closure. I think it was that people were throwing things off it, and that when it broke down, it was really REALLY hard to evacuate.
If ski resorts can deal with these issues, Disneyland should be able to figure out something. Maybe a change to the design of the ride vehicles to prevent people from throwing things out of them (solid mesh over the window areas, for example), and keep a fleet of "cherrypicker" type equipment on hand to speed up evacuations.

I miss the Skyway! I would love to see them bring it back in some form.

ETA: If they limited the use of the Skyway to official Disneyland tours or as part of a special Retro-Disney tour, or if you had to purchase a separate admission ticket for it like back in the olden days, they would make a pile of money off this.

olegc
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
If ski resorts can deal with these issues, Disneyland should be able to figure out something. Maybe a change to the design of the ride vehicles to prevent people from throwing things out of them (solid mesh over the window areas, for example), and keep a fleet of "cherrypicker" type equipment on hand to speed up evacuations.

I miss the Skyway! I would love to see them bring it back in some form.

ETA: If they limited the use of the Skyway to official Disneyland tours or as part of a special Retro-Disney tour, or if you had to purchase a separate admission ticket for it like back in the olden days, they would make a pile of money off this.

One word - Litigation. It costs them more to manage the legal issues associated with securing and protecting against injury than just closing it. I don't have this as a fact but stuff all over the park has been closed, modified, or redirected due to possible liability issues.

oregontraveler
09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
not ADA compatible, evac. problems and unruly passengers, All of the above.
The Skyway will be back, I think TDA is waiting for new technology so they can put a loop in. :rolleyes:

Bytebear
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
not ADA compatible, evac. problems and unruly passengers, All of the above.
The Skyway will be back, I think TDA is waiting for new technology so they can put a loop in. :rolleyes:

Ooh, I hope the loop is inside the Matterhorn. That would be so cool

Darkbeer
09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Actually one of the main reasons was CM costs, including Workers Comp claims.

Since the individual tram cars were free flowing at both loading stations, you needed a couple of pretty strong CM's to help stop the cars at the end, and then push them around.

Low capacity, and a large amount of CM's to operate both stations, including loading and unloading.

The new version used most often, such as at the Orange County Fair, is that all the vehicles are on a fixed cable, and the operators have a device that can place the cable in creep or stop mode, similar to how the Haunted Mansion works.

Matterhorn Yodeler
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
The reopening of the Skyway would certainly be on my dream list along with the People Mover.

I miss the view of looking down at the park from above. Right now, the only opportunity is really from the Monorail, and we all know about its limited service problems.

dznyphreak
09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Being young enough that I don't remember the Skyway, I would like to see it stay in Yesterland. Frankly, I think it would ruin the appearance of the park as it is today and seeing backstage (and the roofs (rooves?) of the Fantasyland dark rides) ruins the magic. I'm glad they can't/won't bring them back.

...Sorry. Feel free to attack my opinion.

AnotherJenny
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
The views of Fantasyland were pretty nice. Most if the time you'd be looking over the other side of the car at the people.

Here's a pretty good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaLlkg4Dhk

The reason I wouldn't want to see it back is (aside from a lifelong fear of heights) is the obnoxious poles all over the park. I can't tell you the times I was slammed into a support pole by an over aggressive mom shoving her stroller between people walking and any open path. My achilles tendons ache at the memories. :)

ScottC4746
09-18-2008, 08:56 PM
The views of Fantasyland were pretty nice. Most if the time you'd be looking over the other side of the car at the people.

Here's a pretty good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaLlkg4Dhk

The reason I wouldn't want to see it back is (aside from a lifelong fear of heights) is the obnoxious poles all over the park. I can't tell you the times I was slammed into a support pole by an over aggressive mom shoving her stroller between people walking and any open path. My achilles tendons ache at the memories. :)
Loved the video...brought back memories.