PDA

View Full Version : Sunday brunch at Club 33?

Pages : [1] 2

Tony P
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
We will be having an early lunch on a Sunday at Club 33. I heard at one time that Sunday brunches are a fun time for the kids because there are characters walking around. Is this true or was this a thing of the past or just for special occassions? Thanks for any info. We are looking forward to it.
Tony

Jeffreaky
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I've been there a bunch of times and I've never seen characters walking around. But I've only eaten lunch and dinner so it could be?

Be sure to walk up to the doors that lead you outside to the balcony over looking New Orleans. That's one of my favorite things while eating there! I never would have known you could go out there until the waiter asked us if we'd like to go out there. I never see people up there when I'm down below the restaurant nor when we eat there have I seen people out on the balcony, so maybe everyone doesn't know that you're allowed out there? Have a great time and I hope the characters are there for you and your children.

AVP
09-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I've never seen characters in any of my brunch or dinner trips to Club 33, though I understand members can "request" them (at $800 or more per visit).

AVP

Abigail's Uncle
09-10-2008, 12:25 AM
We've been many times now on various days and consistently the Sunday brunch includes two characters, almost always Mickey and Pluto. No characters have ever been present during other times.

dsnyredhead
09-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Several years ago (I think about 10 because it was before Jeff and I were married and of course, can't find any pics of this) we did the Sunday buffet at Club 33 and took my parents there. I'm almost positive I remember us getting pictures with Mickey and Minnie inside Club 33. We did not pay anything for them to be there. It is possible that someone else requested them and they simply walked the floor since they were there I suppose.

The Red Head
09-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Sunday brunch is the only time the Club has characters visiting the tables, and it is 2 characters. I have seen characters there other times, when a member has payed to have them there for a proposal or birthday.

adriennek
09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
When we were there for brunch, Mickey and Minnie came through. This was 10 years ago this summer.

BTW, If someone in the club pays for characters to appear, everyone will get to visit with the characters because it would be unDisneylike for characters to ignore someone.

Adrienne

ScottC4746
09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Sadly :crying: we would never be able to enjoy Club 33. Financially we cannot afford the membership fees. Anyone want to adopt us? :D

racccoon
09-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Adpot me too please! My dream is to go into Club 33 once, just once.

CV12Pirate
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I dunno... to me Club 33 does not seem special anymore. Thirty years ago it was a special treat to get invited in. Today all it takes is money to buy your way in. Not the same thing at all.

I am over 50 so maybe that has something to do with it.

DisneyFanKat
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd love to be included in the Club 33 Visit Adoption Rotation. :D heehee

Villains Fan
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I was there for lunch last year...Mickey and Pluto came up to visit :).

MrsPooh
09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Adpot me too please! My dream is to go into Club 33 once, just once.

racccoon? That's not possible.

Going to Club 33 is kind of like eating potato chips. If you go once, you'll want to go again! ;)

Trust me! ;)

adriennek
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Going to Club 33 is kind of like eating potato chips. If you go once, you'll want to go again! ;)

Sorry, hafta disagree.

I've been there three times. First time was brunch. The other two were dinners. Now, I am appreciative of the people who hosted my groups for those visits. But I didn't need to go back. If I was invited to go back I'd go depending on the circumstances. I wouldn't say "Club 33? No, thank you. I'm too good for that." ;) But want to go again? Not especially.

If I want a really good dinner, I'll go to Napa Rose. (or The Cellar or I'd try The Hobbit or there are others I like very much.)

I would probably be more likely to want to go to back for brunch over dinner (given the choice,) but if I was given a choice between Club 33 and another lovely champagne brunch, I wouldn't necessarily choose Club 33 if I thought the food would be a better value somewhere else.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I dunno... to me Club 33 does not seem special anymore. Thirty years ago it was a special treat to get invited in. Today all it takes is money to buy your way in. Not the same thing at all.

I am over 50 so maybe that has something to do with it.Actually, 30 years ago, all it took was money, just fewer people knew. And the membership list was only about 300, now its at 450.

Tony P
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Thank you for all the replies. We were lucky enough to go about 2 years ago. The kids loved it because it was a 'special' thing that we were able to do. My 8yr old daughter loved the history behind Club 33 because she was reading a biography on Walt Disney at the time. Well we were invited again and they told us to pick the day. I thought I had heard that characters came on the Sunday brunch and that the kids would love it (but that was also from someone whose kids are now grown). I just didn't want to mention it to the kids and then it not happen. I guess we will just let it be a pleasant surprise if the characters are there.
Tony

CV12Pirate
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Actually, 30 years ago, all it took was money, just fewer people knew. And the membership list was only about 300, now its at 450.

I went the corporate route back then, was with ATARI. Money didn't mean anything, you had to know someone high up in Disney. Everything was comped, rooms, food, everything. I didn't spend a dime.

Jeffreaky
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I love Club 33 and the History! I would go over and over. I love the fact that the birds on the walls used to talk to the guests and get in on their conversations, I mean that's genius! The food has always been amazing for us.

For those of you who would love to go to Club 33, ask your friends in the corporate world. Many corporations have memberships. I did some checking with friends and one of my friends has a client that is a corp. member. My friend just emails the guy to get a reservation. Now we go to Club 33 one to 2 times a year.

We're on the list but we've only been on the list for about 3 years now. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

How many people on here are on the list to become a Club 33 member?

VickiC
09-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Back in the day when my husband worked in the "quick service" industry he had connections with a large beverage company as well as a large computer manufactuor. He and people he knew often went to various places and events (the Olympics, Club 33, concerts, ball games, etc) and were treated lavishly and never spent a dime. That doesn't mean someone didn't pay for the tickets, the meals and the hotel rooms.

Cathy at the Park
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I think Club 33 was a lot more fun before Annual Passes. When we went we paid our host for our meal (way back when the meals were charged to the member's account and you had to pay them back later, rather than just use your own charge card at the time) and then, as now, the meal was about the price of the one day entry fee. So it was like getting your meal for free.

We have risen to the top of 'the list' twice now, and we always have decided that is better to sponge off of our friends :p

If we were paying members we would feel obligated to eat there more than we really care to. And also all the things that bug us when we go, would really bug us if we were members!!

Barbossa
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry, hafta disagree.

Maybe you needed more lively company!

DW and I went to Club 33 with some special friends (one of which is an MP member) and had the time of our lives. Our cheeks were sore from smiling and laughing so much. The food and drink were quite good, IMO. And they threw in admission (or we paid for admission and they threw in dinner) too boot. Good times! :D

adriennek
09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe you needed more lively company!

Huh?

The only reason I'd have for going back would be the company. I've seen it. The food's ok. For that much money, I can have a better meal somewhere else. The merchandise I've been interested in buying the last two times I was there has been sold out. The company is really the biggest draw for me now.

Adrienne

KarenW2
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
We've been to Club 33 for brunch once and for dinner several times and tho it was interesting to see the first time, we weren't that excited about it, in terms of the food and price. We have had a much better time, food and price-wise, at the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose and/or The Hobbit in Orange (with or without friends or family with us)!!

Being Premium Annual Passholders, we didn't end up feeling it was a "deal", since we'd already paid for our admission and didn't need the Club's passes.

On topic, out of all the times we ate at the Club, we only saw a character there once. It was Mickey and we were there for my birthday, after a long, hard day at MouseAdventure. We heard there was someone "special" at the opposite end of the large dining room where we'd been seated, who had either scheduled Mickey or was of enough importance to rate Mickey's coming, but being the hospitable mouse he is, he went around to all the tables and I was able to get my photo taken with him.

Sadly tho, our last time at the Club then may probably be our last time there. My cousin and her business partner shared a membership and her partner made a bad decision, making a reservation for people she didn't know. Even tho the people were told about the dress code, they showed up in tank tops, t-shirts, shorts, etc. When they were told they needed to be more formerly dressed and were even offered Club clothing to use, the woman in this party started yelling at the top of her lungs in the Club, saying SHE had a reservation and THEY couldn't tell HER how to dress! Management was called, she made more of a scene and when all was said and done, because of this, my cousin and her partner had their membership revoked!

A real bummer for my cousin, her hubby, my hubby and I, since it meant we can't get together there again, due to someone we didn't even know or have any connection to.

Abigail's Uncle
09-12-2008, 01:29 AM
That story makes me livid. So this person, who was only there as a guest on your cousin's membership, threw a fit despite having previously been told about the dress code and offered Club loaner clothing? Every time we've gone, we err on the side of caution in our dress. But even if I didn't meet the code requirements, I'd be absolutely deferential - to have a tantrum, especially while enjoying the benefits of someone else's membership, is abhorrent.

adriennek
09-12-2008, 07:10 AM
We have a family friend connection to the club through a law firm. Fortunately, their "abusing the perks" story did not involve Club 33, but because some teenagers abused a perk, the firm has a policy that they no longer make reservations at Club 33 unless a partner will be present at the meal.

That's why I would never ask a third party who doesn't know me to make a reservation for me. They just cannot take that risk, often when it's someone they know even!

Adrienne