PDA

View Full Version : High school bands at Carnation Plaza

Pages : [1] 2

potzbie
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Have you performed at the Carnation Plaza in a high school band or choir?

What was it like?

I think it would be a real gas! :)

MoKat72
09-08-2008, 07:24 AM
I did it about a hundred years ago (1988) in choir. It was very fun, wearing our Disney Magic Music Days shirts, singing and then getting to play in Disneyland the rest of the day. However, that was when I first discovered my hatred of the Tea Cups. If you're a small girl, DON'T RIDE WITH LARGE BOYS. :P

This was more fun, though: Our marching band didn't have enough members to carry the shields that contained the letters of our school's name (WESTMONT), so they recruited some of us choir members. I loved waiting backstage for our cue and getting to march down Main Street.

I'm the sort of person who prefers being a spectator to being part of the show, but it's completely different to be part of the show in Disneyland!

Finding Gigi
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I have played at Carnation Plaza. I was a senior in highschool and it was a lot of fun. We also marched from IASW to the gate by the firestation when I was a freshman and a sophmore. My senior year we were suppose to march but ended up playing in front of the castle because they were filming a commerical on Main St. While in front of the castle a Japanese tourist took one of our tambourines and started playing it. It was so much fun. Now my husband's middle school band plays at the plaza every year.

Jeffreaky
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
That would be a dream come true playing in DL, you guys are so lucky!

DrinkupMeAttage
09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't find it acceptable, I don't pay for a PAP to go and be entertained by highschool (let alone middle school) bands. This is precisely why I hated that BLAST show over in DCA. I expect star quality performers not amature level, it just doesn't look proffesional to my standards I guess. Might just be me but that's how I feel...

level42
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
My sons performed in the park this past May.

YouTube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPVtRCKftpQ)

I was surprised how wonderful it was! There was a sign for them, the official announcement, and they ended up playing for about 30 minutes.

Good Times!
Bill

Katlovett
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
About 30 years ago, my high school marching band and drill team did the parade down Main Street and also performed concert style. The most thrilling part for me, back then, was to be able to see the backstage areas. I lived in southern California at the time and had always been a huge Disneyland fan.

Then, about 10 years ago, my daughter's high school choir performed at Carnation Plaza. It was really fun to go watch her perform. Although we live in northern California now, our whole family went to watch her choir perform and even some of the extended family (aunts and uncles) came down as well.

I daresay none of us were "star quality performers" but we had a very fun time and it looks to me like the audiences are primarily composed of the friends and family of the performers anyway. Kind of like those vanity beauty contests / fashion shows that people pay to enter their children in.

shna
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I sang there with my High School Madrigal group in 1986. It was a blast! The Carnation Plaza show was our only "official" performance of the day, but we were singing throughout the park just for fun (and getting lots of applause & cheers). We were a little miffed when Security asked us to stop singing the National Anthem (in 6-part harmony, mind you) under the flag in Frontierland (I think it was Frontierland, anyway) -- mid-song! Who stops singing the National Anthem mid-song? :rolleyes: We were attracting a crowd, which is why they asked us to stop.

Oh -- and we were VERY good, if I do say so myself. ;)

sunfun94
09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't find it acceptable, I don't pay for a PAP to go and be entertained by highschool (let alone middle school) bands. This is precisely why I hated that BLAST show over in DCA. I expect star quality performers not amature level, it just doesn't look proffesional to my standards I guess.

Um,wow.:| way to be supportive. Music and the Arts are sometimes the only things that get kids through school especially something as awkward as jr high. You have to audition to get to perform at DLR and when we did it back in the 90's it wasnt easy... In my opinion I think it is wonderful that Disney support such a vital development in a young persons life by giving them a chance to perform outside of a stuffy band room ...

We had a blast when we went with our high school marching band..so many fantastic memories.. We had the opportunity as did many of you to march down from iasw to the end of Main St and Katlovett, you are totally right, being able to see backstage was so very cool! :D Not to mention the congrats and well wishes we had throughout the day after we performed was uplifting! In fact I think I have a few pics of us still! hahaha

PanFan
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't find it acceptable, I don't pay for a PAP to go and be entertained by highschool (let alone middle school) bands. This is precisely why I hated that BLAST show over in DCA. I expect star quality performers not amature level, it just doesn't look proffesional to my standards I guess. Might just be me but that's how I feel...

There is a quote by Walt Disney in the Magic Music Days staging area behind Toontown that says "If I can help provide a place to develop the talent of the future, I think I will have accomplished something." No one forces you to spend any time being entertained by "amateur" choirs, bands, or dance troupes. I don't spend a lot of time watching the Carnation Gardens performances, but there are times when I've lingered there while a group performs. I know I enjoyed doing MMD in college with my women's choir. We were so excited to see backstage, to have the honor of singing inside Disneyland with our name on the sign and everything, and to enjoy the rest of the day in the park. I can only imagine how it feels for high school and middle school students to have the support of something so big as Disney. It just might make you want to continue developing your dancing/singing/instrument playing talent(s). As someone who is proud to have continued pursuing music outside of school, that is something very acceptable in my book.

Jeffreaky
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM

You obviously have the right to feel that way.

For me, the star talent at DL which is usually people like Miley Cyrus, Cheetah Girls or the Cast of High School Musical are much more unacceptable! I'd much rather see people actually playing their instruments and singing than lip-syncing and playing to tracks!

cstephens
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
This is precisely why I hated that BLAST show over in DCA. I expect star quality performers not amature level

Uhhh, yeah, BLAST is *so* not amateur.

Wobble
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM

As a former middle school and high school band member, I can tell you that almost ALL bands work very hard and any chance they get to perform they are very proud and honored to do so. You are certainly allowed to this opinion, but even if a school band isn't that great, I can always tell they at least appreciate some genuine support, no matter where they are performing.

stan4d_steph
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Uhhh, yeah, BLAST is *so* not amateur.No kidding.

wvnative
09-11-2008, 01:22 PM
My DD performed with her choir in 8th grade. They did a wonderful job and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity. The only down side to the whole trip was the chaperones she got stuck with.

leota's necklace
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM

Gotta agree with the other commenters who replied to you. The Blast! show was some of the finest entertainment I've seen in the Parks, and the condensed version presented in DCA made the Disney show even better than the Blast! touring production. The musicians and other performers of Blast! are some of the most talented people in their field, and I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate that.

Similarly, the audition process for Magic Music Days is quite rigorous and the kids that make it deserve to be there. They put in a lot of hard work to create an quality show, and it's a heck of an incentive for them to become better musicians in order to pass the audition.

I'm not sure where being a Passholder comes into play, Premium or no. All guests at the Park are entitled to enjoy the same entertainment, from Billy Hill to PUSH. It's like saying you deserve cloth napkins rather than paper ones when you, as a PAP, get a hot dog from the wagon.

DrinkupMeAttage
09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Gotta agree with the other commenters who replied to you. The Blast! show was some of the finest entertainment I've seen in the Parks, and the condensed version presented in DCA made the Disney show even better than the Blast! touring production. The musicians and other performers of Blast! are some of the most talented people in their field, and I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate that.

Similarly, the audition process for Magic Music Days is quite rigorous and the kids that make it deserve to be there. They put in a lot of hard work to create an quality show, and it's a heck of an incentive for them to become better musicians in order to pass the audition.

I'm not sure where being a Passholder comes into play, Premium or no. All guests at the Park are entitled to enjoy the same entertainment, from Billy Hill to PUSH. It's like saying you deserve cloth napkins rather than paper ones when you, as a PAP, get a hot dog from the wagon.

First and foremost, I don't eat hotdogs (and you wouldn't either if you knew what were in them) lol. Secondly, I buy a PAP (while living in Chicago) because I believe in Disney and their above par requirements to fufill satisfaction for their guests. My family has gotten them since the first year they actually came out which was quite some time ago so- I think I know how it works thank you. I do not believe that having a PAP gives me any 'special' offers that other guests are not entitled to and I never insinuated that I merely voiced my opinion. So basically your anaolgy is invalid and perhaps you should take a little more consideration next time you want to use such a literary device. I understand that Disney does great things for the music programs and I think that's fantastic and the fact that the kids get to see backstage is pretty cool. I HOWEVER PREFER NOT TO WATCH. I don't like band music and I would rather spend my time to watch one of professional THEATER quality shows offered and were constructed by Disney's people and not The Matteson District High School Band directed by Joe Schmoe. BLAST was something subject to opionion I guess but I quite obviously did not enjoy and my Mom and I actually almost walked out 10 minutes in but didn't want to disrespect the performers and embarass them like that. I however also did not care for BLAST because it fit no where into the theme of DL, DCA or HPBL it was just... there. I don't expect Disney to run shows all around what I like and what I feel should be there I was just saying personally that I don't feel it's acceptable to bring in the HS bands because I don't believe that they are of the quality that the park deserves (no matter how many lovely trophies they've won).

leota's necklace
09-17-2008, 08:36 AM
*derail*

My cousin is a butcher.

I looove hot dogs.

And you live in Chicago and don't eat them. I weep.
*end derail*

cstephens
09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Mmmmm, kraut dog.

Suzy
09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't find it acceptable, I don't pay for a PAP to go and be entertained by highschool (let alone middle school) bands. This is precisely why I hated that BLAST show over in DCA. I expect star quality performers not amature level, it just doesn't look proffesional to my standards I guess.
This is your opinion...but I totally disagree with you! IMO and experience being in Junior HS, HS, college and community choirs or bands or whatever the choice is, it gives kids great experience and memories. It might be what they need! If you don't like it, MOVE ON! A place like Disneyland wasn't just created for the rollercoaster riders or the musicians , but to make it enjoyable for all family members! Mr. Disney believed in helping kids develop their talents and that is still true today! What a wonderful opportunity for all. Remember, kids are not expected to be doctors right out of HS/College, but they have to intern first! Kids are not in Broadway Plays without being in school/community theatre. People who are in construction, etc. are not journeyman right out of school either...it takes experience and like hospitals, companies and Disneyland this gives them that experience/opportunity. I would hate to see how much a PAP would cost if you had to pay for professional entertainment...even you might not be able to afford it!

leota's necklace
09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Mmmmm, kraut dog.

Now I'm hungry.

CathyM
09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I danced there with my dance group way back in 1988. Our group sent our audition tapes a year earlier. After being accepted, we had to modify our choreography for the 3 level stage. We did a couple fund raisers to help with costs. We worked hard for a year for those 30 minutes of performance time on a VERY hot June morning. All the seats were packed and we had a very supportive audience (not just our parents/chaperones). I had the time of my life. It was the beginning of some very awkward years, but my confidence was incredibly boosted because of this single experience. I thank my dance teacher to this day for that oppurtunity. I make sure to get a picture in front of that stage EVERY time I visit Disneyland. I was especially happy to be there this past June and had a stranger shoot my picture. His daughter & her high school symphonic band were setting up for their performance. I told him it had been 20 years since I got to perform there and he said, "wow."

I still have my "Magic Music Days" pin from 1988.

DrinkupMeAttage
09-17-2008, 01:11 PM
:p
Originally Posted by DrinkupMeAttage

This is your opinion...but I totally disagree with you! IMO and experience being in Junior HS, HS, college and community choirs or bands or whatever the choice is, it gives kids great experience and memories. It might be what they need! If you don't like it, MOVE ON! A place like Disneyland wasn't just created for the rollercoaster riders or the musicians , but to make it enjoyable for all family members! Mr. Disney believed in helping kids develop their talents and that is still true today! What a wonderful opportunity for all. Remember, kids are not expected to be doctors right out of HS/College, but they have to intern first! Kids are not in Broadway Plays without being in school/community theatre. People who are in construction, etc. are not journeyman right out of school either...it takes experience and like hospitals, companies and Disneyland this gives them that experience/opportunity. I would hate to see how much a PAP would cost if you had to pay for professional entertainment...even you might not be able to afford it!

::sigh:: My goodness. The world's over ridden with ADD and its starting to get on my nerves lol I never said anything about the kids and how they shouldn't be given opportunities to play at grandure venues, I would just PERSONALLY prefer they weren't at Disney; as I have said I don't watch I DO MOVE ON, thank you, and furthermore do not wish all attractions to be based on my own interests. I just have a firm belief that there are certain standards that should be met. I myself was in community theater when I was in middle school, a troop of which some had even transferred into broadway. I never expected to travel to DL because merely being a community group and not of seasoned experience, we probably would have stuck out sorely which I will admit because I know the quality that Disney puts out. Which brings me to the point that you insinuate that it would be even more expensive if the shows were of theater quality but, are you trying to say that shows and entertainers as is are NOT of just that? I love DL so very much that even if the prices DID go up I would pay the extra for it becuase it's about more than just entertainers,shows, rides, we all know that DL means something different, but special to all of us. That is why I would pay more, though I did not make myself to seem outrageously rich the way you made me out to be, vacations are a luxury and to live nicely means working hard which I am no stranger to.

By the way Leota-- I HAVE had hot dogs-- even especially enjoyed Brats from US Cellular Field, I just get the creepy crawlies when I think about what's inside them :p

dawnid
09-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I was a "Band Mom" for 6 years and the kids were lucky enough to parade down Main St. every year. My son's HS Jazz Band played at Carnation and did the workshop backstage. The kids had a blast performing and the workshop was very magical. As a mom seeing your kids march down Main St. is a thrill. :)

oregontraveler
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
getting pretty hot in here...so before this thread gets closed. let me add
my .02
The Carnation Garden stage is a blessing to have. I have seen some of the
high school bands there but what I really enjoy is the All American College
Band. Every summer, a group of 20 students is recruited by Dr. Ron
McCurdee from USC. It is a work study program and I believe they do get paid as well, They are on stage 5 times a day and work their butts off.
Kudos to them, anyone who has performed at DL certainly has earned a right
to be there. Course, that's just one opinion...