PDA

View Full Version : Discounts-My Experience

Walt
07-05-2001, 07:47 PM
I've been reading mouse planet with a vested interest since early this year, before my wife and I spent our wedding anniversary in DL and DCA.

There's a wealth of information here, and I must say I love the site and all the information all of you 'regulars' share here. Keeps my memories vivid!

Anyway. We are returning in two weeks, July 20th, to spend a few days there with our daughters, 4 and 8.

I booked my stay and tickets on disneyland.com and got a great deal, but I booked it quite a while ago, before the discounts went into effect.

Today however, when I got my package via Fed Ex I was a tad surprised. I had ordered 3 day hopper tickets, but I got 4-days. Funny since I had decided to spend an extra day and was planning to pay the diff and upgrade once we got there. Anyways, that wasn't the only surprise in the packet. I also got almost $200 in Disney bucks, as a refund for the tickets for my girls, since kids are free for July with each paid adult.

Now, when the wife and I went alone, for the romantic Disney get away back in March, we were disappointed in DCA too.. but apparently not as much as the big wigs at disney are!! C'est la vie though.. looks like dinners on Disney Bucks this go round and more spending money for the beach!

Walt

CaliforniaCrazy
07-05-2001, 08:36 PM
Welcome aboard, walt! It's always nice to see a new member in the posts.

EandCDad
07-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Walt, enjoy your trip and the Disney Bucks. Churros on you I guess.

CaliforniaCrazy
07-05-2001, 10:45 PM
MMMMM..... Churros.....(DROOL) :D

Alex S.
07-05-2001, 10:54 PM
This is probably obvious but I just want to be sure:

You can convert Disney dollars back to cash once you are in the park so don't feel you have to spend all the money at Disney (though you likely would spend that much anyway).

Morrigoon
07-05-2001, 11:02 PM
$200 - dinner at mondavi.... not a bad piece of pr, that. Please the guest, please the tenant. I mean, c'mon... it HAS to help increas their business a bit.

Walt
07-06-2001, 04:38 AM
Nah.. don't think I'll make the kiddies try to sit in Moldavi, though back in March we spent some time there "taste Testing" :p

We even bought a couple of bottles to send home.

Have considered a sit in the Blue Bayou though, but still don't know if the kids would enjoy waiting. Kinda think I'll play it by ear.

And yea.. I can change the Disney bucks for cash, but I will probably end up spending it there. My 4-year old is already putting dibs on a Cinderella Costume. :eek:

And.. why not.. churros on me.. if ya find me! :p

Matterhorn Fan
07-06-2001, 06:03 AM
Ask for a table by the water at the Blue Bayou and then your kids can see the boats for Pirates go by. Oh . . . and if you wave, the people in the boats will usually wave back.

LuvTDL
07-07-2001, 05:48 PM
If you make a reservation in the morning and ask to reserve a table by the water, your kids won't have to wait in line at all and you'll get to enjoy the Blue Bayou the way it's supposed to be enjoyed =)

I heard that people often wait in line to eat there and discover that they can't get a table by the water cuz alot of those tables have been reserved in advance...

And the atmosphere there is absolutely wonderful! Sooo if you're interested, I would suggest stopping by there to make a reservation in the morning =)

lisap
07-07-2001, 06:22 PM
I'll second the morning reservation thing. Go straight there when the park opens and you will most likely get a good seat.

Also, if you make reservations for lunch time, you will not only save money, if that's at all a consideration, but will have a nice break in the rush of the afternoon crowds. Nothing better than sipping ice tea in a cool dark swamp.

Ps My kids behave very well in the Blue Bayou--the muted atmosphere slows them down a bit, I think. Plus the Mickey Jello doesn't hurt...

:)

Morrigoon
07-07-2001, 07:56 PM
I agree... go at lunch. The menu's a little cheaper, and there's one item you can't get at dinner - Monte Cristo sandwich =9
(personally I'm not all that fond of the food I've had at BB, but the atmosphere makes it worth doing annually and the monte cristo takes care of the rest ;) )

Plus, of course, the kids will be better able to appreciate it as they won't be tired yet. This leaves you free to grab a bite whenever later in the day. Take them for a ride on Pirates first, so they see the restaurant, then when you take them there, they'll understand where they are.

Matterhorn Fan
07-08-2001, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by LuvTDL
If you make a reservation in the morning and ask to reserve a table by the water, your kids won't have to wait in line at all and you'll get to enjoy the Blue Bayou the way it's supposed to be enjoyed =)

I heard that people often wait in line to eat there and discover that they can't get a table by the water cuz alot of those tables have been reserved in advance...
Yes, you should get a reservation in the morning, however, you don't have to ask for the table by the water until you arrive. Last time I went, we only had to wait an extra 5 minutes, and we got to sit down on a couch to wait--no lines (since we had a reservation).

I recommend having the portobello mushrooms with your iced tea.

Napsto
07-08-2001, 10:34 AM
what else is at the Bayou to eat????