PDA

View Full Version : Grapevine this week

BJW
11-05-2002, 06:06 PM
I will be going to the Disneyland Resort this weekend (Arrive Thurs. and leave Sunday). I will have to cross the Grapevine to get there. Does anyone know what the weather conditions will be like? (Rain, wind, snow, etc.?) The wind and snow are what I'm most worried about, as my car has been blown off the road on the summit before. Also, I know they close I-5 in excess snow conditions. Anyone have any ideas what it will be like?

MouseWife
11-05-2002, 06:32 PM
This site might help

http://www.weatherunderground.com/satellite/vis/1k/US.html

Or you could call Caltrans. I think they have a number, I just don't know what it is right off hand.

Now you are scaring me, though. What do you mean your car got blown off the road there? :eek:

I haven't seen anything bad in the forecast but good luck on this site.

BJW
11-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife

Now you are scaring me, though. What do you mean your car got blown off the road there? :eek:

I haven't seen anything bad in the forecast but good luck on this site.
Last December I was on the summit right before they closed the Grapevine. I was in a cheap economy rent-a-car because my car wasn't working. Around 9 or 10 pm the heavy snowfall started with heavy wind blowing. I was in the lane closest to the shoulder and the wind blew the car clear over to the shoulder. I could swear two of the tires left the road! The lady at the gas station at the bottom of the mountain told me they just closed the Grapevine and that I was lucky to get out of that one alive! She told me the winds were almost 100 mph. (I think she could have been exaggerating though.)

MouseWife
11-05-2002, 06:49 PM
I am so glad you are alright!!

Okay, I am such a chicken.

We are going to Yosemite and the Grapevine {okay, and the ride down into the valley} is really worrying me, too.

But, that is in January and you are going now. I think you will be fine.

Please let me know!!!! I would most definitely appreciate it.

Oh, but, do you mean a larger vehicle, say, a van, might do better? I want to rent a 4-WD but they don't come cheap.

Again, check the forecasts!!!

mousey_girl
11-05-2002, 07:15 PM
It is supposed to begin raining Thursday night and continue thru Saturday morning. Snow levels are only predicted to drop down to 5500' and the snow is not expected to stick around for long. By Sunday the weather will be back to "normal."

They are calling for strong winds thru the passes, so please be careful.

BJW
11-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the information. Hopefully things will be better since I will be drinving an SUV this time. However, I will check the forecasts just to be safe. I'm thinking if Grapevine is too bad I might have to go 101.

Grandbreaker
11-06-2002, 09:26 AM
CALTRANS ROAD INFO 1-800-427-ROAD

BJW
11-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
CALTRANS ROAD INFO 1-800-427-ROAD
Thanks, I'll try to call this. Also, thanks again everyone at Mousepad. The info was very helpful. The weather underground site was helpful as well. Thanks.

mousey_girl
11-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Latest weather foecast: windy on the Grapevine, 40-60 mph gusts expected. Also blowing dust, so if you are coming down I5 be really careful.

tabacco
11-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Hooray! combined with the rain on Friday, it sounds like a fun drive ;)

MouseWife
11-11-2002, 07:44 AM
BJW~

How did things go?

Ghoulish Delight
11-11-2002, 08:13 AM

We are going to Yosemite and the Grapevine {okay, and the ride down into the valley} is really worrying me, too.
Leave early. I'm talking stupid early, like 3-4AM early. This has so many advantages. You get up to Yosemite at a very reasonable hour (mid-day). And, no matter what the weather is over the vine, there will be no one there, so you can take it slow and steady and not have to worry about it too much.

MouseWife
11-11-2002, 10:08 AM
G.D., that is what our kids call it, more or less, 'Stupid Early'!!
{Or was it 'Stupid Freakin' Early?'}

But, we don't go straight into the valley. We give one day in, one day out. We are staying the first day in Oakhurst, when ever we get there, last time it was about 2 o'clock. Then, we got up early and drove in to the valley.

It certainly didn't help to eleviate my fears, watching a show yesterday where a bunch of people were losing control on the freeway from 'Black Ice'. :eek:

I then told Hubby, 'Okay, we head into the valley once the sun has been up for a bit. Not too early.'

We have hit tiny patches of black ice up in our mountains, even in the late afternoon, places where the sun didn't shine.

No, not there. :rolleyes:

Scary.

BJW
11-11-2002, 11:54 AM
BJW~

How did things go?
Things went pretty well. The wind on the Grapevine was actually very mild on Thursday on the way there. However, it was blowing severely on Sunday night on the way back. I think the fact that I was in an SUV this time made a difference. We had one or two bad wind gusts, but they weren't as powerful as what I had experienced before. All in all, I think it was a good trip. However, I was suprised at how hard it rained at Disneyland this week.

MouseWife
11-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear your family and you made it safely.

Yes, I am curious for my own future trip but I couldn't help
but worry about you on the days I knew you were coming and going.

We watched the dopler {hubby is really into that sort of thing, storm tracking} and I did worry.

Thanks for posting.

Oh, and did you guys have fun?