PDA

View Full Version : They give teenagers a bad name!

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailMan
11-05-2002, 03:13 PM
On Sun. I was on Splash Mountain, did Single Rider, and was assigned to a log that had 3 teenagers about my age. They were very rude to the CM that let them on. As we rode, they proceeded to yell out profanities, and throw trash from the log. Several times I heard a "Please stay inside the log!, Don't rock the log!, Etc..." over the PA. Not trying to be a snitch, when ever they threw something outside the log, I waved at the camera, and pointed at the item thrown (Keeping my hands inside the log.) After our ride completed, they made a comment like "This Sucks!" (That's the "Family" friendly version of it, several "Not for MP" words were used.), and other profanities. Well, after we had gotten to the platform, Security was there to take them away. Unfortunately, I was worried, because they might of thought that I did it too. Fortunately, they did not. Security then thanked me, and gave me a free Fastpass, that could be used on any FP ride, at any time.

Oh well. :)

Ghoulish Delight
11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Good for you MM. And thumbs up for security. It's good to know that CMs are still paying attention to the atmosphere and that Disney is still committed to discourageing disruptive, immature behavior like that.

RStar
11-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Don't you just hate it when peers do something that could make every one else look bad!

MM, you did a good job there. I like you more and more. These guys sound like the type of kids that ruin the visit for all the other guests. And then they bad mouthed the ride because they wanted to look cool in front of their freinds. It's not "cool" to like Disney, you know.

I don't know why they even went there..........

They should go to Magic Mountain or something. When they get oldr they will probably be found hangin' at the local pub with the guys causing problems..........

thekirk
11-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Good Job MM!

Wow -I'm glad I didn't have to go through that. I would have been mad. I'm glad they gave you that fast pass, and the security took them away.

There are sooo many teens that give the good ones a bad name. Not all of our generation is horrible.

PXSgeek
11-05-2002, 08:32 PM
being a teen myself i cant help but to feel emberassed. However had I been on that log with those...kids, i would have given security a reason to kick ME out of Disneyland, lets just leave it at that:~D
I dont do verywell with people who dont like/disrespect Disneyland. If you want to mess around go to knotts and choke on funnel cake!:~D

HBTiggerFan
11-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Good job MM :D

There was a group of us on PotC a few weeks ago and the teens (they were teens) in the back of the boat were STANDING UP!! and one of them kept touching me on the shoulder and asking really obscene questions. I told him if he touched me one more time I was gonna toss his [insert several not mousepad friendly word] out of the boat.

I was really expecting to see security standing at the exit but nope. Oh well

MM, you give teens a good name :)

Techie7
11-05-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Good job MM :D

There was a group of us on PotC a few weeks ago and the teens (they were teens) in the back of the boat were STANDING UP!! and one of them kept touching me on the shoulder and asking really obscene questions. I told him if he touched me one more time I was gonna toss his [insert several not mousepad friendly word] out of the boat.

I remember that trip :(

I agree with you MM. It is really a pain when teens (or people older then you for that matter) make a scene and ruin it for others. While I can tolerate that to a certain ammount I really have a problem with people who create safety hazards for others or themselves. I think that comes from my years of tech theatre. Glad that security took care of the kids.

SzczerbiakManiac
11-05-2002, 09:49 PM
Man I wish I was in that boat with you guys HBTF & T7. You know I'm a big softie, but I can really turn on the intimidation when the situation calls for it.

Stink-eye coming out of a 6'5" dude can be very effective. Sometimes all those obnoxious teenyboppers need is to be sternly informed their behavior is unacceptable and they shape up.

Techie7
11-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Even I am intimidated by SzczerbiakManiac (and not just spelling the name) when cornered! ;)

HBTiggerFan
11-05-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
Man I wish I was in that boat with you guys HBTF & T7. You know I'm a big softie, but I can really turn on the intimidation when the situation calls for it.

Stink-eye coming out of a 6'5" dude can be very effective. Sometimes all those obnoxious teenyboppers need is to be sternly informed their behavior is unacceptable and they shape up.

You know, I am not a violent person by any means, and I was mad enough that I would have done it too, however I had talked iSm into doing it for me, since I am not a violent person. I think they realized that there truely is nothing more potent than an angry female.

Techie, was that after the potluck? I forget.

innerSpaceman
11-06-2002, 06:04 AM
Good work MM! You were in a tight spot, being by yourself and all, but you came through beautifully.

On that rude teen Pirates ride mentioned above, we had the advantage of being with a bunch of padders who outnumbered the obnoxious kids. I thought they were just being a little boisterous at first, but when they actually all stood up on the ride . . . yikes.

They were calm and cool, however, compared to another Pirates ride I had a few weeks earlier. The kids on this ride were more like MM's Splash Mtn. experience. What's worse, they were not teenagers, but were in their early 20's. They were shouting obscenities during the ride and generally ruining the experience for other guests. When we got to the rather tight confines near the jail cell and boats were close together, they actually got into a war of words (with rather choice words) with a woman in the boat in front of us. She pleaded with them to watch their language in front of her young daughter, but they merely taunted her and continued with their foul-mouthed tirade.

Then this women did something I have never seen done at Disneyland. She took her daughter by the hand, stood up and actually got out of the boat, and walked through the Pirates set to the nearest CM exit!

I was sure security was going to nab these guys when the ride ended, but nothing happened. In this case, I'm kinda glad because - cringe - I was with these jerks.

I was mortified at their behaviour, extremely annoyed that I myself could not get them to stop, and - needless to say - would never do Disneyland (or much else) with them again.

Dexter
11-06-2002, 06:32 AM
Good job MM!

Being an AP, I have seen my share of inconsiderate teens in the park. Granted, when my friends and I go on Haunted Mansion, we repeat the Ghost Hosts spiel, but it is not in a manner in which it is interruptive to the other guests, we usually look at each other and repeat it in a low tone. We have experianced some people who are just flat out rude, by screaming it out at the top of their lungs, just completely ruining it for the other guests. In those instances, I usually try to let them either go ahead of us or ensure we are well in front of them.

One night we were riding Mansion and as you pass the hitchhiking ghosts mirrors some kid spit on the mirror. I let the cast member know who thanked me, but said there wasn't much that could be done, other than to clean the mirror. It was a little too late, mostly cause they were in front of me.

Another time while riding the mansion some kids in the doombuggy infront of us threw something at the window in the ballroom. The ride stopped for a minute or two and when we resumed our journey, Security was waiting at the exit for them. I was glad to see they wouldn't get away with what they had done. It's unfortunate that those people are out there, but they are.

What is it that's bringing people who don't respect things like authority, or have common courtesy's towards others? I just don't get it.

MouseWife
11-06-2002, 06:41 AM
Those are awful instances.

Another reason I like to go when most people are at work or school. :rolleyes:

RStar
11-06-2002, 06:43 AM
I don't get it either. Why go to DL if they feel like that? There must be a better, more appropriate place for kids that feel like that to go.

If more and more of our youth feel like acting that way, I'm real concerned with our future. What are these people going to be like when they are adults?:confused: :crying:

MouseWife
11-06-2002, 07:18 AM
That really bothers me as well.

These kids sound like they should be out at one of those paint ball places. Or virtual reality game places.

Heck, put these kids into a sport if they want to make 'contact' with others.

Don't buy them AP's as baby sitters.

Parents: Parent!!!

JMHO

EandCDad
11-06-2002, 07:21 AM
In some cases, these teenagers come in as part of a larger group. They don't necessarily choose Disneyland as the place they want to hang out. The same is true with teenagers who come with their families but would much rather be in their rooms listening to "suicide rock" or playing video games. I'm not excusing it, but its not always a matter of "if you don't like it, don't come."

tabacco
11-06-2002, 09:13 AM
One night I actually had some teens come up to my window and ask if they could exchange their Disneyland tickets (bought and used 6 hours prior) for DCA tickets because "Disneyland [inappropriate verb beginning with f] [inappropriate verb beginning with s]," adding that there were no good rides, just "animation and [inappropriate noun beginning with s]." Everyone in the booth got a good laugh out of that (after we told them no and they left, of course). What did they expect at Disneyland, anyway?

Allysen1Derland
11-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by RStar
I don't get it either. Why go to DL if they feel like that? There must be a better, more appropriate place for kids that feel like that to go.

If more and more of our youth feel like acting that way, I'm real concerned with our future. What are these people going to be like when they are adults?:confused: :crying:

THANK YOU, RSTAR!!!! I often echo those same sentiments myself! :)

It's alarming! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! I was just muttering to Hades last time in the park that, "I must be getting old n' cranky! I just wanna sock these obnoxious teenagers straight past the moon and into Six Flags!" :~D

I don't mean to sound immature, either, but when they're *Smack!* right in front of you, ruining your, oh, I don't know, mansion experience, the thought goes through your head!

And the WORST PART is that they think they're hilarious! Do you ever overhear the obnoxious teen-ager conversation?!?! I know I make it a point to, and Hello! So NOT funny!! :rolleyes:

Mukta
11-06-2002, 10:58 AM
I've had this discussion with people before. 10 years ago I was an obnoxious teenager. I went to amusement parks with my friends all the time. We would use profanities and other innapropriate language. We never interfered with people on rides, but we were rude while in line and around the park.
The big question is why?
At that age, I was a very selfish person. I wasn't knowingly trying to bother people. It never occured to me to consider their feelings. I was having fun and that was all that mattered. We almost got kicked out of the park once for doing something awful. It wasn't until I was an adult and took my neices and nephews out that I realized how awful it is to swear in public.
As for the other people acting rowdy on the rides, it is the same ideas as bullies. They are really insecure inside and are trying to impress their friends and be cool. There is no age limit for stupidity and insecurity. I'm not surprised that people in their 20s are still acting this way.
If an adult has asked me to stop, I probably would have because I am a really small female and tend to shy away from authority. But for some of these boys, that might not work.
For the record though, we were much better behaved at DL than Six Flags. Something about DL commanded more respect that Six Flags did. I think it is great that MonorailMan realizes these things at his age. I know I didn't.

Allysen1Derland
11-06-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mukta
For the record though, we were much better behaved at DL than Six Flags. Something about DL commanded more respect that Six Flags did. I think it is great that MonorailMan realizes these things at his age. I know I didn't.

Oh, but I have to knock Magic Mountain!! :~D You see, while I was slaving away as a CM at the Magic Kingdom, my brother worked at Magic Mountain! He was a security officer, and Holy Guacamole!! He could tell you some stories that would make your head spin!! :D Albeit highly entertaining stories! :D

Of course, Mukta, you don't have to share anything you don't want to share. No pressure!! However, you've got me all curious with what got you kicked out of DL!

and p.s.- you're very brave and a really cool person for coming forward and admitting on this thread! ;) Way to go! :)

Shooba
11-06-2002, 11:59 AM
I was in Tokyo Disneyland last week and despite being very crowded I noticed no bad behaviour. Sounds like a North American behaviour problem. Wonder what the Japanese are doing differently. Of course, most North Americans behave just fine, and I'm sure there are rude Japanese people, but the difference is noticable.

hefferdude
11-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Of course, most North Americans behave just fine, and I'm sure there are rude Japanese people, but the difference is noticable.

Although, we have experienced rude behavior by eastern guests as well. The Japanese operate by a set of cultural rules that most people in the US would find very repressive. This is sometimes the reason why a few (very few) act out wildly when they come to the US.
We have been "run" over by geriatric Asian woman, sat on by
riders on JC. But I've also been sllaaammmed!!! by teens on Autopia, spit on by kids from the cable car, subjected to pot smoke on Tron - the list goes on. :(
But the age factor seems to be the main criteria.

There are a few bad bananas in every bunch. The majority of teens that I work with are really a great bunch of young adults with a lot of potential for the future. But every now and then, a few will come along and really blow it by their behavior. It only takes 1 or 2 out of a crowd to give everybody a bad rep.

Mukta
11-06-2002, 03:33 PM
I want to start by saying this is an awful thing that I am not proud of. I don't know why we did it. It was sometime in the 80s. There used to be a candy store inside the castle where they sold these little jawbreakers. We bought those and rode on the Skyway. We were throwing the jawbreakers at the people below. Of couse from that height, you can really hurt someone. We hit a couple of people before we got caught. They stopped the ride and made an announcement to stop throwing things at people. We were so embarassed and scared that we got caught. They told us not to ever do anything like that again or we would be banned from the park for life. I have been well-behaved at DL ever since.
And hefferdude although it was not me, I do know plenty of people guilty of the pot smoke in Tron. That is so terrible to do that knowing it is illegal and there are kids around.

Laffite
11-06-2002, 05:26 PM
See guys? It's good knowing eveything about DL, including where all the cameras are!

--Preston

HowardBeale
11-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Teenagers have been wreaking havoc and been acting like Aholes since the dawn of time.

We saw some graffiti scratched into the glass display cases in the queue of 'Autopia' -- really neat. Graffiti really ticks me off in all of its' forms.