PDA

View Full Version : Riding with the Monorail Driver: WDW vs. DLR

justagrrl
11-05-2002, 07:35 AM
I was just reading today's article about resort transporation at WDW and noted that you can ride with the driver of the monorail at WDW.

Now, we've asked before and been told, at DLR, that they don't do that anymore.

Why at WDW and not at DLR? :confused: :mad:

Klwally
11-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Yep, and you even get a co-pilots license at WDW. Why wouldn't they do it at DL? Aren't they the same vehicles anyway? That's odd.

Grandbreaker
11-05-2002, 09:08 AM
SECURITY thats about it

justagrrl
11-05-2002, 11:23 AM
I've heard the security thing as the excuse. Are we more afraid of being "un-secure" in So Cal then in Florida or something?

MammaSilva
11-05-2002, 12:20 PM
we rode with the driver before 9/11 but have been told that they no longer allow it when we have asked since then, but someone else said they've ridden with the driver since 9/11? Any CM's out there with the 411.. is it policy now or just the drivers like to have their "space" and not deal with guests?

danyoung
11-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Klwally
Yep, and you even get a co-pilots license at WDW. Why wouldn't they do it at DL? Aren't they the same vehicles anyway? That's odd.

Nope - they're completely different vehicles. The WDW ones are MUCH bigger, with standing room as well as sitting.

Techie7
11-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Disneyland is really concerned about someone stealing the monorail and driving off with it. Imagine if someone took control of the monorail! :~D They could drive it into the matterhorn or take it for a joyride to Knotts! This is a major security issue that now plagues the resort. The only reason people can ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain still is that it RUNS ON A TRACK!

In all seriousness who knows why Disney makes the crazy choices they do. I think it should still be open but maybe there is a good reason. ;) I am really happy they they are still running (kinda.. sorta.. ok not really but the run every few hours!)

idesign
11-06-2002, 09:34 AM
The monorails need to be driven. It's not just a push the button and sit. a full-throttle trip around that new steep curve goint into the DTD station could send it off the tracks, or at least get enough list to pull it off, perhaps into the buildings...

Dexter
11-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by idesign
The monorails need to be driven. It's not just a push the button and sit. a full-throttle trip around that new steep curve goint into the DTD station could send it off the tracks, or at least get enough list to pull it off, perhaps into the buildings...

While I agree that the monorails need to be driven, I would like to call your attention to the following article written by Doc Krock, who details the workings of the monorail (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kkrock/dockrock-1.htm)

It's possible that someone could attempt to hijack the train to try to get it to run off the tracks, but the collision avoidance system and speed enforcement system would prevent it. If you really wanted to secure the trains, why not add an e-stop button that locks out the functions of the train, requiring it to be towed by the mule in case someone tried something stupid. Just a thought.