PDA

View Full Version : A help line for guests in the park.

Pages : [1] 2

janell
08-31-2008, 09:46 AM
With the recent stories of guest having problems in the parks, such as a child stuck in the honey pots, pot smoking in line and the jungle boats hitting each other. Disney needs a number that is well known to their guest, maybe printed on their tickets and AP. That allows guest to call lets say Disney security, not their main line, but a new line set up. So that guest can say hey I need help with my child, hey this person is hurt or this is going on. We all see things happening that we all know shouldn’t be. And I’m not talking about line jumping. Its not right but it happens. I’m also not talking about calling to know what time a parade or the fireworks are. (I’m sure it will happen) I’m talking the big things, people in need of help and someone could get hurt if something doesn’t happen. We had an incidence a week or so ago where a lot of guest could have gotten hurt and it would have been nice to be able to contact someone and say hey this happened. (Yes we contacted a lead and I can’t get into it right now)

Maybe this is to much of a hassle and people would prank call this line. Not sure. But with CM’s at post that may not have a phone and a post they can not leave. Maybe there is something Disney can do to help bridge the gap between guest and getting help. Most people, I’m not saying all. Have cell phones. I know if I saw a guest in trouble and this number existed, I would ask that guest do you need me to call for help and would help them out.(only asking them in case someone else called, no need to over flood the call center if someone else has taken care of it) Anyhow, if a guest didn’t have a cell phone they could always ask another guest to call. We all know if someone was stuck or need help, we all would make a call to help them out.

Anyhow, just a crazy idea we were chatting about over breakfast and I thought I would put it out there.

cstephens
08-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Disney needs a number that is well known to their guest, maybe printed on their tickets and AP. That allows guest to call lets say Disney security, not their main line, but a new line set up. So that guest can say hey I need help with my child, hey this person is hurt or this is going on. We all see things happening that we all know shouldn’t be. And I’m not talking about line jumping. Its not right but it happens. I’m also not talking about calling to know what time a parade or the fireworks are.

The problem is that it doesn't matter if you tell people it's only for emergencies - people are going to call that number to find out why the parade hasn't arrived at their spot yet, that a CM was rude to them because the CM refused to do something against Disney policy, that it's too hot out, all kinds of stupid things. People call 911 all the time with the dumbest questions/situations. And since the number would have to be staffed by a security person, that security person is going to be there fielding stupid questions all day. I think that relatively speaking, the number of situations that arise that require security when security is not called or is not available would not justify having this number.

Malcon10t
08-31-2008, 10:16 AM
I think that relatively speaking, the number of situations that arise that require security when security is not called or is not available would not justify having this number.I have to agree here. "The line for Indy isn't moving, did it break down?" "Are the fireworks canceled tonight? (at 3pm)" "I can't find the schedule, what time is the parade?"

Rule of thumb, notify a CM, and WAIT for their response. Don't just tell them and run back to where you were. And remember, you may be 5+ minutes from the nearest security person. No all (in fact few) CMs are trained in First Aid. A non-trained CM is not going to assist you (major liability issue.)

I have been amazed at how fast Disney DOES respond to emergencies. I have seen a few, and they have responded quickly and efficiently.

houseofmouse
08-31-2008, 11:15 AM
911?? If it is a life threating emergenc that is who I would call.

tod
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Why add another layer of complication?

If there is a problem, get a CM. Instead of calling a number and having a CM get dispatched, just get a CM yourself. Faster, easier, and what you have to say doesn't need to get filtered through a third party.

--t

janell
08-31-2008, 02:29 PM
I see all your points. It was just something we thought of that could help, but people will take advantage of it and call for the wrong reasons, oh well.

Nikara
08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I actually like the idea- it rather reminds me of what my university does. They have a line that you can call for emergencies, and you actually encouraged to call it instead of 911, because the officials at the University know where certain buildings are and are able organize a proper response to student problems. If you put people on hold when they have more inane questions, saying that you have to deal with an emergency call, people will generally respect that. It would at least give visitors something to do in such a situation that is easy to deal with and understand. They have so much staff dealing with other calls, I'm sure they could organize this as well.

MickeyM00C0w
08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
911?? If it is a life threating emergenc that is who I would call.

Exactly. CMs are trained to call 911 from a pay phone or cell phone if you cannot get to a company phone. When you call Anaheim PD and tell them where you are, they will ask a few questions and then patch you over to Disneyland security. It's a little bit slower than having a straight line to them, but it is the absolute best option if an emergency arrives and there are no CMs in sight.

tod
08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Exactly. CMs are trained to call 911 from a pay phone or cell phone if you cannot get to a company phone. When you call Anaheim PD and tell them where you are, they will ask a few questions and then patch you over to Disneyland security. It's a little bit slower than having a straight line to them, but it is the absolute best option if an emergency arrives and there are no CMs in sight.

I can call Disneyland Security from my cell phone, the number is 1-714-781-4330.

I still would find a CM first.

--t

MickeyM00C0w
08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I can call Disneyland Security from my cell phone, the number is 1-714-781-4330.

I still would find a CM first.

--t

Who actually goes to the park memorizing the number for security? Same for having a separate hotline. No one would memorize it anyway. And it's faster to call 911 and have them patch you through than it is to panic, remember the number is on the map, dig through your backpack to find said map at the very bottoms, rip it open, find the number, and call it. It's just easier to make things simple and just go with what we all know: 911

Katlovett
08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
So, universities and airports can have courtesy telephones scattered about that are staffed 24/7with an operator to provide assistance, but this same thing is not feasible for Disneyland? I am unconvinced that Disneyland patrons are more likely to crank-call than college students or unhappy travelers.

tod
09-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Who actually goes to the park memorizing the number for security?

One of the Little tods got lost in the Park a few years ago and I programmed it into my cell phone. It's still in there, although I've never used it.

Same for having a separate hotline. No one would memorize it anyway. And it's faster to call 911 and have them patch you through than it is to panic, remember the number is on the map, dig through your backpack to find said map at the very bottoms, rip it open, find the number, and call it. It's just easier to make things simple and just go with what we all know: 911

Mmmm-hmm. You do that. I'll find a CM.

--t

jMom
09-01-2008, 09:14 AM
My two cents: I think of 911 as an option for life & death kind of emergencies. And if too many people call into the system, you wait your turn in line, on hold.

So calling 911 from inside of the DLR would not be my first thought. For one thing, I might be bumping someone with a bigger emergency. Heck there might be a big problem going on somewhere and I'd just be clogging the lines and hampering response to that event. Also, time will drag on as I get transferred until I can talk with the appropriate person (or their phone mail, or get disconnected).

I'd opt for getting a CM or assistance in the immediate vicinity of were I was. It would be quicker to get initial aid and any subsequent actions would probably be more smoothly coordinated.

xsilverxstarsx
09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
714-781-4000 gets the disney operator. they can transfer you to anywhere in the park, as well as report situations.

MickeyM00C0w
09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
One of the Little tods got lost in the Park a few years ago and I programmed it into my cell phone. It's still in there, although I've never used it.

Mmmm-hmm. You do that. I'll find a CM.

--t

Which makes the number kind of useless if it is the first time you've needed to do that. After you lose a child once, most parents usually get wise and either keep a better eye on them or set up a meeting place in case of such an event.

You...do know I'm supporting calling 911 if it is an emergency and there are no CMs around, right? I have the feeling that hasn't quite stuck. If your child is lost, don't call 911. You have the ability to move freely and can find a CM. If your child has fallen and his head is gushing blood, yeah, maybe have one parent call 911 while another goes and looks for a CM (assuming two parents are available...a stranger works too). The fact that everyone understands that 911 is for emergency purposes and not for asking questions serves to both deplete people asking when the fireworks will be and to allow guests to contact help when they are unable to find a CM...which is why I agreed with 911 over a separate hotline.

jMom
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
The fact that everyone understands that 911 is for emergency purposes and not for asking questions serves to both deplete people asking when the fireworks will be and to allow guests to contact help when they are unable to find a CM...which is why I agreed with 911 over a separate hotline.

Evidently, everyone does not understand when to call 911. I have heard many stories from my paramedic brother and here is an article (http://ugc.about.com/ua/firstaid/callingforhelp/08_Dumb_911_Calls.htm) about a fairly standard group of people who are unclear on the "when it's okay to call 911" concept.

Hence the need for articles like this (http://firstaid.about.com/od/callingforhelp/qt/06_Bad911.htm) and this (http://firstaid.about.com/od/callingforhelp/f/07_911_Illegal.htm).

The idea of Disney adding their own version of 911 to their phone/security/CM systems is an interesting idea, but I personally don't see how it can beat what is already in place.

tod
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Which makes the number kind of useless if it is the first time you've needed to do that. After you lose a child once, most parents usually get wise and either keep a better eye on them or set up a meeting place in case of such an event.

I did call the number, that's how I got it. The security guard said to hold tight, most kids "self-reunite" inside half an hour.

He was right.

You...do know I'm supporting calling 911 if it is an emergency and there are no CMs around, right? I have the feeling that hasn't quite stuck. If your child is lost, don't call 911. You have the ability to move freely and can find a CM. If your child has fallen and his head is gushing blood, yeah, maybe have one parent call 911 while another goes and looks for a CM (assuming two parents are available...a stranger works too). The fact that everyone understands that 911 is for emergency purposes and not for asking questions serves to both deplete people asking when the fireworks will be and to allow guests to contact help when they are unable to find a CM...which is why I agreed with 911 over a separate hotline.

I just went back and re-read the original post. I am now totally clear on teh suggestion -- but I still don't think installing the recommended line is a good idea.

--t

Tan Da Man
09-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I actually think its a great idea for a seperate line for emergencies..I mean yea of course people will call for pointless reasons, but hell they do that with 911 too...I had a friends mom who worked as a 911 operator and she said 7 or 8 out of 10 calls was pointless...people asking for directions, questions about traffic, people think 911 and 411 are the same thing...but that doesnt mean it isnt effective...I mean out of those 10 calls...sure 8 are useless, but 2 of those are actually helping people..and Im sure if a hotline in disneyland could help even one person a day, it would be worth having.

But also its not like Disneyland has a terrible record with problems in park..so obviously the system they have in place is working alright.

JackandSally101
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I had this thing happen in the Mickey and friends parking lot a few years ago that has stayed with me, and I'm not sure how to change things to make it better. I was with my 8 yr. old (at the time) daughter and we left the park when it was dark but far from closing time. We were parked in Goofy 2F or something-
just about as far away from the escalators as you can get. As we walked to our car, all the other people leaving at the same time gradually got in their cars and drove away so we were all alone -except for one man wandering the parking lot.
At first I thought he had lost his keys or something but when we got close I could see his eyes were red and he just looked "off" somehow. We passed him but then he started following us. We got in the car as quickly as we could and left. All the way out, I looked for someone to report this to but there was no one. I didn't call 911 because it really wasn't an emergency. I tried to contact Disney the next day, but it is very difficult to get to a real person. At some point I talked to a security supervisor who said that there are "help intercoms" on some of the parking pillars and I could have pressed one of those for help.
Well, it's true, I have noticed them on later visits,(because I was looking for them) but really, I had no idea they were there when I needed them, and for sure i wasn't going to stop and make a call to who knows where when someone is 10 feet behind me. I think a "help line" might be a good thing.....

cstephens
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I think a "help line" might be a good thing.....

But under that circumstance, how would you have known what the phone number was, even if they had a help line established, or where to find the information? I doubt people are going to think to look at their tickets.

Malcon10t
09-01-2008, 09:52 PM
But under that circumstance, how would you have known what the phone number was, even if they had a help line established, or where to find the information? I doubt people are going to think to look at their tickets.
ART has their number on the tickets you get, and I have called them (when the service dog was denied access, but then we got a private bus a couple minutes later...)

That said, you are in the parking lot with a weird person, are you going to take the time to get out your ticket, look it over for the tiny number, and call it?

If you seriously think you are in possible danger, call 911. Get your kids and yourself in your car as fast as you can, forget about car seats til you get to safety.

JackandSally101
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Good point.

JackandSally101
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Malcon10t-
That's what I did except I did not call 911 because we got in the car fast enough. I guess the help line really wouldn't have worked in that situation unless it was really easy to remember or displayed everywhere. Really what I would have liked (and still would) was to see a security guard somewhere in the structure or have an office or phone # to report it to at the time. I looked (while driving in my car) but could find no one. I have seen in the past what looks like security people on bikes in the structure but I didn't see any that night.
Anyway, I am more aware now whenever I am in that parking lot and try to stay with other people. Also, I have never had to park that far away again.
Does anyone know if they have cameras in the structure and maybe someone keeping an eye on them?

Bytebear
09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
The parking structure does have security cameras, and they have those security intercoms throughout. If you are concerned, just push the button. As I understand it, Disneyland also has their own 911 phone bank in the park, or rather it's in the parking structure or last I heard they were moving it there.

JackandSally101
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Thank you Bytebear!
I'm not sure I understand the phone bank - does that mean that if you call 911
from somewhere in Dland, both the police and Disney will hear the call?
(I hope this ? makes sense..)