PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Guest Control

PanFan
08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I was on a mission today to capture on video some of my favorite DLR shows and parades before they go on hiatus either for the holidays or refurbishment (I mean, you never know how different something may return if it does at all). One of the things I wanted was the fireworks from the ledge behind the Partners statue. I've sat there before and really enjoy being able to easily see both the castle and the Matterhorn at a raised level (and I'm not referring to standing on the ledge, but rather the fact that the center of the hub is inclined from street level). I noticed that the north spur from the center was now reserved viewing and they had a bunch of benches set up there.

Since I just wanted to see the fireworks from the ledge and didn't care about riding anything, I staked out my position at 7:20, shortly after the end of the parade. Around 7:45, guest control CM's came over to tell everyone sitting there that the front of the rotunda was not a viewing area and would be used as a walkway only. Just about everyone there left. They blamed the fire marshall who says we need to have a fire lane. So I packed up my laptop that I had been working on and moved over to the curb in front of the castle (all the benches in that area--not including the reserved ones) had already been taken. I looked at what my view would be and, while still good, being that low to the ground put a tree right in the middle of the Matterhorn. My only chance to get the video that I wanted (sans trees and Partners statue) without sitting where I originally sat was possibly from a bench right in front of the reserved section, but I didn't know until it was too late.

I spoke with the parade lead about it, asking why the "fire lane" couldn't be behind the Partners statue instead of in front of it. He said when they tried that, they had to push people wanting to see the show so far back because they couldn't see over the statue (he motioned to indicate the south spur from the center had to be cleared as well). :confused: He was in a hurry to set up, so rather than wait for clarification I just left the area to go ride HM before it turns into HMH and decided to get the fireworks tomorrow instead.

What's my point in all this? I simply did not understand the reasoning given to me by the parade lead as to why the walkway had to be in front of the statue where the view is perfect versus behind the statue which is not as popular anyways because you can't see as well. I spoke with a F! lead (thinking she was a parade lead) and guest relations CM as well and, while they were both sympathetic, neither could explain the reasoning behind it. I work guest control for the parades and fireworks (and quite enjoy it)--I totally get the need for non-viewing areas, be it for fallout, walkways, or emergency exits. I'm not at all saying there shouldn't be a walkway. What I'm asking is why is it there? The fire marshall doesn't determine where a walkway should be, just how many there need to be.

I know they're trying new things (anyone else here not a fan of circle flow?) and that's great. But not having been there for the trial and error process as a CM (I work guest control in Fantasyland, not the Hub or Main Street), I don't understand how this is a good idea. I would think guests trying to watch the fireworks would be more upset (oh wait, I know they would--that's what I was today), guests in the reserved section would be annoyed with the CM's having to constantly spiel to keep the walkway moving, and the CM's would be frustrated with guests stopping in the walkway to watch from the perfect spot--and worse, not have any rope to direct them under if they don't move.

Please, someone--enlighten me!

Autopia Guy
08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Said walkway they were setting up is a CFA/Tech Aisle. It is a pathway that remains clear through out the entire evening for several reasons. I imagine that it is in front of the statue so as to keep the area behind the premium viewing from filling up with reg day guests who didn't pay a premium yet got the same view and all as those who did.

And you wanna complain about circle flow? Have you been out there on a night were it wasn't done? Yeah, not fun when the entire hub is trying to run both ways with a crowd that should be going only one way and Fan! is doing a 75% exit. Its at times like that that you get an especially good view of why we do circle flow.

PanFan
08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
I completely understand the need for a Tech Aisle. I'm not saying there shouldn't be one. The reserved section was not for people who paid a premium--according to the CM's I talked to it's used for Make-A-Wish or other randomly selected/magic momented guests (though I have reason to believe it's also used for CM's friends to get a great last minute pyro viewing spot). The Dream Squad/Guest Relations reserved viewing area is atop the MS Train Station platform. Also not for guests who paid a premium. I'm not sure if WDTC offers voucher viewing above the train station as well, but if so that's the only place where you can pay extra to get a better spot to watch the fireworks.

As a guest, I don't like circle flow. It's simply frustrating to have to walk all the way around the Hub, moving about as slow as molasses, to get from one land to the other. But it seems to me to be a better solution than taking away the best spot to watch the fireworks in the entire park (especially adding to the mix the reasons you cited). I know something needs to be done to keep a walkway moving throughout the show; I just don't understand how this particular option is a good choice.

foolishmortal
08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Last Nov. they had us go past the PS and around the back of it and people were sitting in frount of the statue so I'm assumeing that the whole area is cleared now??

I personally find if you whant to jump form one land to another I go through tomarrowland around the back side of MH and then across FL to the Haus village restruant and the back way into Frountierland. Sooo much faster and dodge most of the fireworks crowd.
Plus If I want to exit the park , after fireworks we go into the stores on the left side of main st. and just travel from store to store till we have to be on MS and then pop out and back into another store till we hit the exit. we stay out of the main crowd that way. It's not faster but far more pleasant!

Maybe the flow is better to have that lane open. Sometimes opening up a different section of traffic you find what does and does not work!
I think it is easier to blame the Fire Marshel (who most people would never yell at) then have people snap at you for trying something new!

On a side note I have the very best video spot that I like. over by Frountierland entrance back way by Plaza there is a oval planter with railing, if you stand at the end of it during the fireworks(most cm's let me) you get a really great view of the castle and MH plus Tinkerbell flys by low there! also the area by plaza gardens is a great place too on that side!

I hope I discribed the are ok.

Hope you find out what is going on Pan!