PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland secrets [spoilers]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Gemini Cricket
07-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Anyone know any Disneyland Secrets that they'd like to share?

For example, I heard the elevator/stretching room in the Haunted Mansion at DL goes down and the WDW one goes up.

80S ERA
07-05-2001, 01:08 PM
Here's a couple..

1. There is a hidden doorbell hidden behind plants in the Royal Courtyard near the start of the staircase, which was supposed to be for Walt's entrance to his NOS apartment. Last time I checked, the box was fastened shut.

2. If you look at the "partners" statue from the frontierland entrance.....ummm never mind! This is supposed to be rated PG ;)

Ralph Wiggum
07-05-2001, 01:09 PM
Well...rumor has it..the hurst in front of the haunted house is the same hurst used to transfer Brigham Young from the Church to his grave site.

oregonzooron
07-05-2001, 03:34 PM
Sorry, Ralph...no hearse was used in Brigham Young's feneral. Look here:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/hearse.htm

Snopes.com has a good page verifying and/or debunking rumours and urban legends, Disney (Matterhorn basketball court, deaths, etc.) and non. It's also a good source to check the validity of chain e-mails, hoaxes, etc...

It's also pretty fun just to poke around in :D

ron

Gemini Cricket
07-05-2001, 04:10 PM
80sEra - I know what you are talking about re: Partners. I saw that and couldn't believe my nose... my ears.

Gregmh48
07-05-2001, 04:36 PM
You would think that the artist would have noticed his little mishap. :)

Ralph Wiggum
07-05-2001, 04:47 PM
Thanx ron!!! I'll check it out!!

As far as partners....you should be ashamed!!!

;)

slaakker
07-05-2001, 09:18 PM
O.K., since I am not going to DL till December, what does it look like? Send a private message if it is not "Postable" please.

Morrigoon
07-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Oh no slaakker... it's worth being surprised on this one!

Wait til you go, okay?

;)

:confused: :eek: :p :D

CaliforniaCrazy
07-05-2001, 11:12 PM
I have a visual picture in my mind of it, and I think I know what 80S ERA means by it. That's a keeper. Sort of like the priest in the little Mermaid, right? :D

ralfrick
07-07-2001, 06:43 PM
LOTS of good stuff here.

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/HiddenMickeyDisney.html

Gemini Cricket
07-07-2001, 10:36 PM
ralfrick, this (Hidden Mickeys) is one of my favorite sites besides MousePlanet of course...

Lost Boy
07-07-2001, 10:55 PM
You probably allready know this but:

1. The Pipe Organ in the Haunted Mansion Ballroom sequence is the actual organ used in Nemo's chamber on the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. It is so badly rotted out that they can't move it because it would fall apart.

2. The original Merry-Go-Round that became King Arthur's Carrousel (there is a difference between Merry-Go-Round and Carousell) had bench seats at two loctations on the base. They were removed to make room for more horses. The benches are still in the Park. Look at Casey Jr. Both Trains. The second to the last car on each train are the original bench seats put on wheels.

3. This one is kind of special. When Mr. Disney passed on, no one would go into his offices. They just couldn't do it. Finally about two weeks after, his personal secretary had to go in. On his desk in the "Work" office, in the "out" tray there was a single piece of yellow paper. It was the OK to start work on the Florida Project. And it was signed by Walt Disney. If that paper had not been signed, there would be no WDW today.
In his "Formal" office they made another discovery. All thru his life Mr. Disney was not known for sentiment over any project that the studio was working on. He would be deeply involved with whatever movie was currently in production, and when it was done, he would move on to the next project. Nothing was kept from the previous project. However, when they were cleaning out his Formal Desk, in the bottom, left hand desk drawer, at the very bottom was something that had been kept there since it all began. It was the original script for "Steamboat Willie"!

Mandrake Linux
07-08-2001, 12:12 AM
The track for Space Mountain goes 50 feet underground.

DisneylandBoy
07-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
There is a difference between Merry-Go-Round and Carousell

What is the difference? I've always wondered this.:confused:

Morrigoon
07-08-2001, 11:22 PM
It has to do with the direction they spin in. One goes clockwise, one counter-clockwise. If I recall correctly (who knows, really) the King Arthur's Carousel is actually a Merry-Go-Round. But maybe someone else knows which direction is which.

Napsto
07-09-2001, 01:11 AM
never heard that before.

mickeyfantasmic
07-09-2001, 07:59 AM
a merry go round has al tpes of creatures/vehicles carved on it whilst a carrosel only has horses!
Therefore disney got it all wrong...check it out on birbahms guide to disney theme parks!

Castmbrdlx
07-09-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Mandrake Linux
The track for Space Mountain goes 50 feet underground.

I often walk by space mountain at the end of my shift and the side doors are open with Maint going on. The Track does seem to go at least 50 ft underground and looks like a massive mess of twisted metal with the lights on. It's really pretty cool to see.....

SimpTwister
07-09-2001, 11:53 AM
I've heard both the 'clockwise/counterclockwise' and 'horses/menagerie' distinctions before, and IMO it's all BS.

Here's SimpTwister's definition: The ride with horses or other animals that go around in a circle and in most cases go up and down, travelling either direction, is a carousel, but 'merry-go-round' is an acceptable alternative name for such a ride.

The thing in your neighborhood park, between the slide and the swings, that turns only when pushed and has no animals, is definitely a merry-go-round.

Matterhorn Fan
07-09-2001, 03:04 PM
The OED doesn't distinguish between the two--carousel and merry-go-round are synonyms.

Mandrake Linux
07-09-2001, 05:26 PM
The subs don't float. They coast on rollers and they weigh 52 tons out of the water. They have a 3HP engine. 5-MPH tops.

Berry Princess
07-09-2001, 08:03 PM
OK This is what the dictionary says about merry-go-round and carousel:

Carousel: First appeared 1650
1) a tournament or exhibition in which horsemen execute evolutions
2) merry-go-round
b: circular conveyer
c: A revolving case used for storage or display

Merry-go-round:First appeared 1729
1) an amusement park ride with seats often in the form of animals (as horses) revolving about a fixed center.
2) a cycle of ativity that is complex, fast-paced or difficult to break out of

So basicly it is just the same thing just that the word carousel came first.

I do have a Disneyland secret to share but I can only say to look at the pigs on the Pirates next time you are on it. I would say more but it is not fit for the boards. lol A friend I was with pointed it out to me one time we were there and I just thought it was funny. But this way, one of the pigs looks like it is doing something it shouldn't be. Its the part where the guy is with 3 pigs in the mud.

Mandrake Linux
07-09-2001, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Berry Princess
OK This is what the dictionary says about merry-go-round and carousel:

Carousel: First appeared 1650
1) a tournament or exhibition in which horsemen execute evolutions
2) merry-go-round
b: circular conveyer
c: A revolving case used for storage or display

Merry-go-round:First appeared 1729
1) an amusement park ride with seats often in the form of animals (as horses) revolving about a fixed center.
2) a cycle of ativity that is complex, fast-paced or difficult to break out of

So basicly it is just the same thing just that the word carousel came first.

Come on people, stay on topic here. I don't think the difference between a carousel and merry-go-round is all that secret.

mickeyfantasmic
07-10-2001, 12:01 AM
Right in the centre of the castle..a couple of feet after the bridge going to Fantasyland...theres a spire which marks the exact phisical centre of disneyland on the 17 of July 1955 opening day.
I always wondered if this is true in every park but i ve found it only in the first magic kingdom!