PDA

View Full Version : Staying At Grand Californian

cindanzr
11-04-2002, 09:04 AM
At last, after begging to get time off work, I am staying at the Grand Californian this weekend for the first time. Any suggestions? I'll be there Thursday and Friday. As an AP holder, I visit DLR frequently and have stayed at the other hotels. How does everyone think the GC compares. Your feedback much appreciated!

MouseWife
11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
I have only stayed there one night, so, I don't have a whole lot to offer.

You might want to do a search and see what you can find.

Anywho, for the hotel's convenient location to DCA, DTD and Disneyland, be aware that they can stick you way way way far away from an elevator and then send you down long long corridors. :mad:

We had requested being close to an elevator and when we came back to get our key didn't bother to check {as the earlier person promised it was}. Not!!

We ended up having to walk the long distance to the room but taking the stairs down as it was shorter. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed sitting on the balcony and watching the monorail going by. I enjoyed the lobby, met someone there and chatted for a bit. Nice to people watch and listen to the piano.

It is very nice, watch out for being charged for things you didn't get from the fridge~ request a separate one if you want to use one.

Have a lot of fun!!

BB Wolf
11-04-2002, 09:52 AM
My wife and I love the GC. We love the Arts & Craft style and have stayed there five times with no complaints.

Take the tour. It's free and lasts about 20 - 30 minutes. Learn about the hotel and where the hidden Mickey's and Tinkerbell are located.

It's great to just sit by the fireplace and listen to the piano.
Also Storytellers is a great place to eat. Just enjoy and explore. Have fun! :D

Grandbreaker
11-04-2002, 10:20 AM
You can pre checkin before 3pm but you can't go to the room until then. I would valet instead of self parking its across the street. I know that it would be an extra $ 12.00 a day its underground. When you get to the kiosk please have a picture ID ready. Any other questions please PM me.

scottmen
11-04-2002, 01:27 PM
I know its going to be a little cold but go on the water slide like 100 times in a row. Its fun.

mousey_girl
11-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know if the pool is heated?

Grandbreaker
11-04-2002, 02:44 PM
yes all 3 pools are heated

teri
11-04-2002, 05:15 PM
We just got back from a 2 night stay. If you want quiet, request a courtyard view room. We had 2 rooms, one Dowtown Disney View and one Courtyard View, and the difference in noise level is definitely much higher in the DTD view room. The hike to the elevators is quite substantial. It took about 5 minutes to get from our room to the spot in Downtown Disney right below our balcony.

Last time, I had a room with a DCA view, but overlooking the wedding area and parking lot -- the smoking area of the lounge was right below our room. There was a private party in DCA with loud music until the wee hours, and we were just off the lobby right above the piano so we got it from that side as well. :rolleyes:

Whitewater Snacks is a pleasant counter service place for breakfast, lunch or light dinner. The prices are quite reasonable, there is no wait, and they have refillable mugs there. :)

The twinkle-star lights in the fireplace room change color.... :)

There is a cool hidden Mickey in the front desk relief....

Bell Services guys are FAST and helpful. :)

cindanzr
11-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Thank youall for your help! I am counting the days, hours, seconds until I leave for some well deserved r & r at my favorite place. Will share my impressions, adventures, etc., upon my return. Thank you again!

disneydana
11-05-2002, 04:46 AM
Just a reminder... there are 2 sets of elevators at the Grand Californian. It may seem like you walk forever if you ride up in the main hall elevators but your room is over near Grizzly Peak. The other set is out near the pool next to the Napa Rose Restaurant (very yummy). Ask the person checking you in which set to ride up in. They generally advise me when I have stayed there.